ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Son of Dr. Jekyll (1951)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: The Son of Dr. Jekyll (1951) Reply with quote

Interesting premise from director Seymour Friedman: the infamous Dr. Jekyll's son becomes a doctor and tries to prove that his father's infamy is undeserved.

All he manages to do is turn himself into a murderous monster. But there's a surprise ending. (Hi-light the spoiler if you want to read it.) It turns out that Hayward only imagines he becomes Mr. Hyde.

The story would have been a bit more interesting if the film makers had thought of some way to allow Dr. Jekyll, Jr. to exonerate his father, at least in some philosophical sense. Despite the quality of all Jekyll/Hyde versions, most viewers don't fully understand the real reason why Dr. Henry Jekyll turned into Edward Hyde. A little sermonizing on the subject might have been fun in a sequel of this type.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Son of Dr. Jekyll (1951) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Despite the quality of all Jekyll/Hyde versions, most viewers don't fully understand the real reason why Dr. Henry Jekyll turned into Edward Hyde.

This motive is what I found most surprising when I read the short story by Stevenson. Here's what Wikipedia had to say on the subject:
Quote:

...Jekyll, having previously indulged unstated vices (and with it the fear that discovery would lead to his losing his social position) found a way to transform himself and thereby indulge his vices without fear of detection.

Dr. Jekyll wasn't as saintly as he is customarily depicted in movie adaptations.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite true. But in his defense he started out wanting rid himself of the evil thoughts and make himself better. That didn't work out like he planned.

What happened instead was that his evil side became a separate personality in an altered version of his body (shorter and skinnier, oddly enough), and Dr. Jekyll deluded himself into thinking that when he was doing bad things as Hyde, he was not "himself", and the evil deeds weren't on his own conscience.

This, plus the fact that Hyde was the perfect disguise which prevented people from knowing who he really was, made it that much easier for him to indulge in the unnamed pleasures which his "good" side wanted to enjoy.

Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only seen this once, on an afternoon TV showing back in the '60s. I had been primed by the great shot (in Famous Monsters) of Hayward in the Hyde makeup.

When I saw what this movie was and, more importantly, what it was NOT, well...that was a disappointing afternoon. Not quite CURUCU-disappointing, but quite a letdown nonetheless.

I really should see it again one day, now that I'd know what I was getting into.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has alwaysbothered me about the novel and the movie versions is the fact the "unnamed pleasures" which Henry Jekyll indulges in all seem to be acts of cruelty! Jeez, where's the fun in beating up people and tormenting a young girl?

If Edward Hyde had gone out drinking, gambling, and whoring I could understand his desired to do those things without anybody in high society knowing it was him. Lots of normal, decent men are tempted to do things like I named above, but a concern for their social standing and the marital commitments make cause them to resist the temptation.

It seems to me that the twisted personality of Edward Hyde was, in a sense, the real Dr. Jekyll, and his pious outward behavior was just a front for the psychotic man he really was! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: