ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neanderthal Man (1953)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Neanderthal Man (1953) Reply with quote

Scientist Robert Shayne developes a serum that reverses evolution.

He uses it on his housekeeper and regresses her to a cavewoman state, then he tries it on himself and ends up stalking the area as an ugley, hairy-faced monster. Several transformation scenes are shown, but they aren't very well done, and the makeup consists of a stiff mask, completely without mobility. In the end, Shayne is killed by the sabre-toothed tiger he creates from a house cat.

Co-starring Richard Crane (TV's "Rocky Jones - Space Rangers").

Directed by E. A. Dupont. Not well done -- but suppose Shayne had used the serum on a few lizards, a squirrel, and an elephant in the local zoo. Persto! A herd of stop-motion dinosaurs, a giant tree sloth, and a wooly mammoth!

Just a thought.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout Factory provided this short (but very sharp) clip from the DVD they sell. I watched a download of the movie a few month ago, and it wasn't very impressive I'm afraid. Ah well . . .

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 5 trivia items for this movie, and they're all somewhat interesting. Very Happy

~ When the Professor gives his talk to the Scientific Society, he uses the Piltdown Man in the progression "Chimp - Java Man - Piltdown Man - Cro-Magnon Man - Neanderthal Man - Modern Human."

The Piltdown Man was a fake fossil that was comprehensively debunked in 1953, the same year that the film was released.

Note from me: Well, since Richard Crane was really just a "fake caveman" in a movie, I guess you could say he was more Piltdown than Neanderthal anyway! Rolling Eyes

~ When a saber-tooth tiger attacks George, the close-up image of the beast is a cheap stuffed animal with long teeth added in and whiskers drawn in. The image only appears for a second.

Note from me: Good heavens, the scientist's serum proved that modern cats actually evolved from cheap stuff animals!

~ This provided a rare top billed role for veteran character actor Robert Shayne. It came about during the same period that he got the role that would finally make him famous, Inspector Henderson on "The Adventures of Superman" (1952) television series.

Note from me: Yes, indeed, we all shout the same thing whenever we see Mr. Shayne in any movie or series. "Hey, it's Inspector Henderson!" Very Happy

~ Robert Shayne finally got top billing in a film but, his name was misspelled as "Robert Shane" in the credits. His name was spelled properly on the poster and other promotional material.

Note from me: Oops! Sorry about that, Inspector! Shocked

~ In the first bar scene when the hunter pours beer from the bottle to the glass, the beer is totally flat, no foam appears in the glass.

Note from me: Man oh man, that is definitely the sign of low budget movie. They could only afford flat beer! Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the image was sharper on this YouTube copy, but if you're in the mood for this movie, it might suffice.

________________ The Neanderthal Man 1953

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: