ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (1971) Reply with quote

Incredible... it's just INCREDIBLE... (sing along now; croon it in the Sinatra style) Arrow

2 Heads, better than one... Incredible..............
(there actually IS a song like this at the start and end of the film).

stars BRUCE DERN * PAT PRIEST * CASEY KASEM * Directed by ANTHONY M.LANZA
__

This is the earlier of two infamous 'man-with-2-Heads' films in the early seventies; the other was THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (1972), starring Ray Milland & Rosey Grier. This one stars Bruce Dern as the local young mad scientist, Roger, who has his own personal lab. In his spare time, he likes to attach 2nd heads to various animals — little snakes (probably a real 2-headed snake), rabbits, foxes, even a small monkey.

In an early scene, he shows off his work to a doctor friend, played by radio personality Casey Kasem; Kasem nods, sort of humoring the mad scientist; "Remarkable," Kasem admits.

Kasem plays the most normal character, but he doesn't report these weird experiments. His only worry is that Roger's wife (Linda, played by Pat Priest, famous for her role in "The Munsters") may leave him. There's a pointless scene of Pat getting out of a tub but there's no nudity involved.

<Linda, played by Pat Priest, is a bit worried.

This introduces 7-foot tall actor John Bloom, who also played the monster that same year in Dracula vs. Frankenstein. Bloom plays the local simple-minded giant here — harmless, yet immensely strong. Albert Cole plays the local homicidal psycho, inadvisedly placed in a mental institution for his murderous acts; he escapes, invades Roger's home, takes off with Roger's wife and is shot for his troubles. Since the police are not involved yet, Roger and his assistant/mentor (played by older Berry Kroeger) see a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to further their experiments — expanding their work to humans. Yes, it seems inevitable — time for a 2-headed giant to make the scene!

_____

The film is pretty slow paced and mostly laughable.

Much of it is filmed in the weed-covered countryside after the giant begins his wanderings, attacking teens in the local make-out spot and then running across two bikers and their woman.

Bloom does cut a sympathetic figure, with his boyish face; he is the innocent in all this.

Dern, of course, was born to play psychotics, whether they be scientists or killers. We don't really understand his rationale here; in THE THING WITH TWO HEADS, we understood Ray Milland's obsessions. But here, Dern's key dialog is near the end: " . . .maybe everybody will understand and appreciate exactly what it is I've been trying to do."

No, we never do, Roger; but, that's Dern — he knows exactly what it's all about and that's all that matters. He was obsessing about flora soon after in Silent Running (1972).

Trivia tidbit: Casey Kasem and John Bloom were in another film again years later — the sci-fi horror picture THE DARK (1979).
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Thing With Two Heads a few months back and thought it was pretty funny, but I haven't seen this one.

As always, Bogmeister's sharp analysis has prepared me so I can appreciate the movie for what it is (and forgive what it isn't). I think I'll download it and have some fun. Anybody want to join me in the chat room?

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant would make a great football player! He could spot the receiver and still keep an eye on the three guys who wanted to sack the quarterback!

Actually they almost did this idea with The Thing with Two Heads, which starred Rosey Greer, who played for the New York Giants. If they do a remake, they should make the man an actual giant and call it Attack of the 50 ft. Two-Headed Quarterback.

But wait, what about other "two-headed" movies? The possibilities are endless. Picture The Incredible Two-Headed Girlfriend. She can kiss you and nibble your ear at the same time! Very Happy

And then there's the sequel, I Married a Two-Headed Woman. One head nags her husband while the other head is on the phone with her mother . . . Shocked

If Disney remade the movie with a Freaky Friday flavor it would be The Incredible Two-Headed Mom-and-Daughter. Rolling Eyes Wink

Or how 'bout a real gender bender: A man has to save the life of his cancer-ridden true love by having her head attached to his body until a replacement body can found.

Think of the dramatic situations! Imagine being that close to the person you love, but you couldn't kiss her because the heads are too close together. And which bathroom would they use, the Men's room or Lady's room?

The title of that would be The Incredible Transgender Transplant.

Anybody have any good ideas they could add here? What "two-head" combo would be fun or tragic or clever?

Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a Pierson Puppeteer?
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at a drive-in in May of 1971, almost exactly 45 years ago, don't think I've seen it since. It was doubled with CRY OF THE BANSHEE. Not the greatest double-feature I'd ever seen. Not the worst, either, but then I've seen a ton of crummy movies.

I remember Bruce Dern guesting with Johnny Carson a few years after this, when he was something of a big deal. He talked about this movie with a great deal of humor while probably stretching the truth.

He said that they never finished shooting the script. According to his version, he showed up at the studio for the last day of shooting to find the place locked and abandoned. He said the end of the script was never shot. He also said he'd never been paid.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his salary, but I don't remember this being a movie without an ending, so I suspect that part of the story was just something funny to tell on the Carson show.

At any rate, Dern's story was more entertaining than his movie.

Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete the fiction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/head-transplant-has-been-successfully-done-on-a-monkey-maverick-neurosurgeon-sergio-canavero-claims-a6822361.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: