ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventures of Superman!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that the "Robox" was constructed for a comedy B-movie, then modified for a single episode of Superman. But it didn't hold a candle to a custom-built robot character for the locally (Oklahoma City) produced TV series 3-D Danny.

WayneO
-----------

Last edited by orzel-w on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the feet, but those shoulders show that they did make an effort. And the expression on your friendly local robot's face is excellent! Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those feet may have been ad hoc for the publicity photo or for live promotional appearances. I don't think his feet were ever seen on the TV show.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Supergirl TV show has lived up to its promise, a modern day version of the George Reeves series, with a pretty girl in the role of the crime fighter from Krypton!
Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same era as THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN comes THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY!

on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3F_G2A3V4&t=40s

The Adventures of Superboy is a proposed TV series that was put into production in 1961. It was meant to capitalize on the success of Adventures of Superman, which went out of production in 1957. Only a pilot episode ("Rajah's Ransom") was produced, although 12 additional scripts were prepared, should the series be picked up.

It featured the first non-comic book portrayals ever of Superboy and Lana Lang and stands as a forerunner of later series Superboy, which lasted four seasons and Smallville, which lasted ten seasons.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND, speaking of box like robots----

Here's Promo the robot! A mainstay of The ROCKETSHIP SEVEN tv show from Western NY 60's TV.

This is Promo with the host, Dave Thomas.
If Dave looks familiar, he's the father of David Boreanaz from BUFFY, ANGEL and BONES TV series.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I watched several episodes of Adventures of Superman on DVDs, and I enjoyed The Birthday Letter, the one about a little crippled girl who wrote a letter to the Daily Planet asking Superman to take her to the fair for her birthday.

The climax is a heartwarming scene in which Superman flies the little girl across the city while groups of citizens smile and look up at the cheery sight. I have fond memories of this episode and that last scene.

But I was puzzled by the fact that my memory of it differed from what I saw today. I was certain that Superman flew the little girl around the world, and we say shots of famous places like the pyramids in Egypt.

My question, Superman fans, is this. Is there another episode similar to The Birthday Letter which contains the scenes I remember?

By the way, I couldn't resist taking a screen shot of Superman from the opening of the color episodes and making a few modifications. Here's the actual opening shot.

And here's my modified version, with Superman's chest larger, waist and hips smaller, belt lower, and red pants less nerdy. I even made the cape a bit larger on the right.

I think it looks kinda cool. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bud, there is another similar story. It's about a blind girl who didn't believe in Superman.

Around the World with Superman

Episode 26

3/13/54

Superman helps a remarkable little girl regain more than just her sight. What starts as a contest stunt ends up showing the real reason why he is Superman.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord! I will get to that one in about a week as I make my way through the series.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out my DVDs of the Adventures of Superman and watched Superman Around the World after Gord Green let me know that the one I remember so fondly was that one!

I enjoyed it again as much as I have in the past! What a great episode. I think it's the best one in the entire series!
Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I watched the last actual episode of season one, Crime Wave, an action packed story in which Superman has more crime-fighting activity than most other episodes.

The last two episodes on the DVD are parts one and two of The Unknown People, which was originally released to theaters as Superman and the Mole People. IMDB only has six trivia items, but several of them are interesting to true fans of the series. Very Happy

In the scene where a newsstand vendor is selling an extra edition of the Daily Planet, comic books — including Superman comics — are visible on the news racks behind him.

Note from me: When I watched this recently I couldn't actually be sure that the magazines on the newsstand were comic books, but the commentary on the DVD made the same claim.

In this episode, it is revealed that Daily Planet editor Perry White is a former mayor of Metropolis.

Note from me: Mayor Perry White! Who knew? Shocked

There are so many insertions of scenes from prior episodes, old movies and newsreels that it is fair to call this episode a 'clip show'. In fact, one quick cut shows what appears to be a Democratic political convention with one attendee holding a placard that appears to be a picture of FDR.

Note from me: The borrowed footage actually works well in the story and doesn't look like mere "padding".

Although this episode does not mark her final appearance, it does contain the final scene Phyllis Coates made for the series as Lois Lane. It is also one the final episodes filmed for Season One.

Note from me: As I mentioned, the last two episodes on the DVD are parts one and two of Superman and the Mole Men (but with the titles The Unknown People).

Here's the opening of the theatrical version (a two minute clip), with the title work and an opening narration by a different man, but with many of the same lines.

_______________ Superman and the Mole Men

___

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that L.A. shone the image of the Bat Signal upon the town hall building honoring the passing of Adam West, that also served as the Daily Planet on the AOS.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could imagine this scene in those 2 episodes where Superman is flying those little girls in the sky.

"Superman, its freezing, I'm getting hypothermia!"

"Superman, help, I can't breathe. The atmosphere is too thin."
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW, that brings up a lot of discussion about what really are SUPERMAN's powers.

Some have theorized that his powers are psychic and supplied by exposure to photons in the yellow wavelength. These psychic powers extend an aura around him which protects anything or anyone in his imediate proximity. These also give him strength and invulnerability to the extent of his "charge" from the solar exposure.

If that is so, it would protect anyone or anything he was in close contact to. Like little girls or Lois Lanes etc..
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Damn, this is just too easy. The picture above is . . . a Robox.

I could NOT resist. Embarassed

I think my post preceding Bud's response on 21 Nov 2016 got deleted somehow, possibly a victim of the Photobucket Phiasco. So here it is again... the robot that appeared in an episode of Adventures of Superman:

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: