ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-Use of Sets and Props

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Re-Use of Sets and Props Reply with quote

The Star Trek movie franchise was notorius for re-using both sets and props. The original Klingon vessel Amar helm and navigation console from STAR TREK The Motion Picture (1979):

Reused as the Regula One Space Station transporter in STAR TREK II The Wrath Of Khan (1982):

Sometimes props are used in other movies. The mysterious "spining red 'thingee' " In STAR TREK II The Wrath Of Khan (1982):

Airplane II: The Sequel (1982):

V (1983):

The Last Starfighter (1984):

As well as others in the Star Trek franchise. STAR TREK The Next Generation (1987 - 1994):

STAR TREK Voyager (1995 - 2001):

Sometimes the source of the prop can be interesting. The ghost 'PKE' detector from Ghostbusters (1984):

It's function:

It's origin, a portable electric shoe polisher!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was understandable that the studio re-used sets & props from ST:TMP on The Wrath Of Khan.

ST: TMP cost an astounding, for the time, 40,000,000 dollars. And while it hardly bombed, it wasn't the smash hit Paramount was looking for with the film.

So as an economic move they did this sequel but with a more reasonable budget. That mandated re-use of items from the first Trek film.

They took the fine looking model of the orbital space station from ST:TMP,flipped it over,did some modifications, and presto changeo we have the Space Station Regula from ST: TWOK.

Clever.

I recall those "red thingie props" from all the way back to ST:TOS on the episode "I, Mudd."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's not forget the legendary and mysterious prop we call The Gizmo — which we still don't know the origin of, even though it appeared in a 1930s serial, followed by numerous movie and TV appearances, and even a cameo iin Forbidden Planet!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Enterprise torpedo room was originally the Klingon cruiser control room in TMP.

The device with the spinning red rods was made for "The Incredible Hulk" TV series, and became one of Modern Props most rented props. The gray components that the rods are attached to are pool skimmer intakes.

I wonder what happened to it, now that Modern Props has closed up shop.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I wonder what happened to it, now that Modern Props has closed up shop.

Please tell us more about "Modern Props".

I've made several posts on All Sci-Fi which pitched my idea that Hollywood needed an organization which bought old props and preserved them to use in upcoming movies, renting them out to the studios.

Little did I know that this had already been done . . . Rolling Eyes

Anyway, David, tell us more about "Modern Props" . . . and why they no longer exist!
Sad
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Props was a prop rental business that opened in the mid 70s. They started renting contemporary props but quickly started specializing in futuristic props. They made and rented hand props, set pieces, control panels, furniture, pretty much everything. They employed prop makers, like Richard Coyle and the late Bill Pearson to create props and devices for them. They would make props for the studios for their movies or TV shows, either to keep or to rent. Since the late 70s, if there was a movie or TV show using futuristic props or set pieces, some of Modern Props items was in the production.

All the props in Butch's 2015 post were made by Modern Props.

The owner announced early this year that he was retiring after forty-something years. Rather than try and sell the business, he was going to auction off many of the props, and donate some items to museums.

I don't know if his plans have change, as I have seen no recent articles about any auctions.

Any way you look at it, it's a big loss to productions needing futuristic props.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow . . . Confused

Modern Props was exactly what I envisioned when described an organization that employed talented artists and craftsmen who made props and sets which movies and TV studios could rent or buy.

I'm sadden by the fact that such a place did exist for decades . . but might not continue to operate.

The appeal of my idea for such a place was that they would not only create great things which could be used in movies and TV shows, they would also preserve them after they had been used — unlike the bone-headed studio execs who allow these unique works of art to be neglected (causing them to deteriorate), or to have them simply discarded.

Anyway, David, I thank you for enlightening me on this fascinating subject. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: