ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAD drawing - landscaping plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: CAD drawing - landscaping plan Reply with quote

Lee Avenue landscaping plan

Seeing orzel-w CAD drawings inspired me to post a landscaping plan I am designing at work. I am a landscape architect at the SC Dept. of Transportation. This CAD drawing (plan view) is of planned landscaping (and pavers and bulb-out) for Lee Avenue in the Town of Hampton, SC. The star-shaped trees at the corners labeled SP are Sabal palmetto, the palmetto tree. I also find CAD work to be relaxing. It is incomplete at the two upper corners but I enjoy doing my work.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: final plan Reply with quote

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting it, BDT. I often enjoy a good "blueprint" even more than photos.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Bulldog, ya transmitted th' wrong plans, laddie!

That's the new configuration for the matter/antimatter intermix chamber, based on the stolen Romulan device that the Vulcan's improved by combining it with the Tholian web energy generator, and . . .

Ah well, we ha'not be worrini' 'bout that now. The Denebian stinger cat is out of the cloth confinement, ye might say. We'll just have to ha' Dr. McCoy give a memory wipe injection to all the unauthorized folks who saw it -- more's the pity. Sad
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: SC 125 original landscaping plan Reply with quote

The interesting thing about this landscaping project is that I made a last-minute change of the tree in the median from crape myrtle variety Natchez (white) to crape myrtle variety Muskogee (lavender).

I lost 65% of a street-tree landscaping project using Natchez crape myrtles over the winter.

I have been talking to the city of Columbia (SC) Forestry & Beautification Division. For the past two winters, they have been losing Natchez Crape Myrtles. They thought the first year that they were dealing with supplier/nursery issues. Turns out it is probably a climate issue-extremely cold and fairly dry winters in SC. The crapes have an inward curl to the main branches/trunks that look like the water was all sucked out of them.

We have had comparatively mild and wet winters in SC the last 15 years or so, but with such harshly cold (especially prolonged cold, rather than brief low dips) and fairly dry winters, the newly planted trees — and even some older mature crapes — haven't been able to pull in enough moisture. They pretty much just dried up, hence the curled in look of the branches/trunks. On most of the crapes that never leafed out, the bark was still green underneath; they just couldn't pull in enough moisture to leaf out this spring and start growing again.

Natchez Crape myrtles are such a reliable staple here and it would be a shame to not be able to plant them anymore. Muskogee, Tuscarora and Miami varieties seem to have been a little better off.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A future roundabout in Beaufort,SC. I roughed out the landscaping in two hours in CAD then spent 12 hours making it prettier.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the outline in the upper left quadrant that looks like a fat boomerang, BD?

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the engineering construction drawing of the roundabout. The roundabout is replacing an intersection for safety reasons.
Necessary reference for the landscaping plan.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what's the boomerang shape?

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. That is a concrete island to help direct traffic to one lane of travel. This is an odd roundabout since some of it has two lanes each way, most of it has one lane each way, and the traffic patterns can be changed in the future by changing the shape of the island.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. I see the single lane on the left side of the central island. The bulge on the left side of the island, then, can be removed to make two lanes someday.

WayneO
-----------
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: SC 125 REVISED Landscaping Plan Reply with quote

This is a REVISED set of landscaping plans for the SC 125 project shown above. Since the original plans were made, a parcel of land was developed; so all vegetation that would grow over 2.5 feet in height had to be removed in order not to block the motorist's sight visibility. All crape myrtle trees were removed. Since I had the removed tree money available, I added an extra row of shrubbery. I spent about 10 hours revising the plans compared to the 50 hours for the original plans. And you can see on the 3rd sheet that I was more comfortable using the patterns and the cell library. I only use Microstation every four months or so, so I have to relearn a lot of stuff when I use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: