ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The World is Not Enough (1999)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: The World is Not Enough (1999) Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to address some of the baseless criticisms of several All Sci-Fi members who claim that the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies are too silly and unrealistic! These unjust accusations can easily be proven false simply by considering the careful casting for this film.

For example, the respected actress Denise Richards did an admirable job of playing a brilliant and highly regarded nuclear scientist. Clearly she was born for this role!

Now wait, I know what your thinking! "Since when do nuclear scientists look like sexpot pinup girls?"

Let's be fair about his. Naturally the filmmakers chose the proper wardrobe for Miss Richards so that when she was shown in her working environment — an underground Russian nuclear weapon's bunker, surrounded by hundreds of burly men — she would be taken seriously by the audience and given the respect of her coworkers.

See, the difference? When she's dressed in her "working clothes" and placed in the proper environment, she's completely convincing! Very Happy

And of course this brilliant scientist needed a name that commanded respect, one that simply reeked of academia and the hallowed halls of the best universities.

So, they named the character Dr. Jones. (Dr. Christmas Jones to be exact.)

There now! I'm sure this will put to rest those unfair remarks about the plausibility of The World is Not Enough. Cool

IMDB has 104 trivia items for this movie. Here's the ones I liked best! (Denoted by text in blue.)

The Q boat can achieve 80mph on the water. During the making of the film, it was discovered only by accident that its 350 horsepower engines could literally force the bow of the boat under water. The move was written into the film.

Note from me: So, if you're wondering if that part in he movie was bullsh*t . . . it wasn't!

Denise Richards was attracted to the role of Christmas Jones as she found the part to be "brainy", "athletic" and had "depth of character", a change in direction from previous Bond Girls. Audiences did not agree, and often consider Christmas to be the worst Bond Girl ever. This was the first Bond film to win a Razzie (in the category of Worst Supporting Actress), for the same reason.

Note from me: The worst Bond girl ever? Clearly there are Bond fans who are not "straight"!

The adjusting of the tie underwater by James Bond was an idea conceived by Pierce Brosnan.

Note from me: I always rewind that scene and watch it again! I'm delight is was Pierce's idea. Very Happy

To create the effect when Bond looks through his X-ray glasses, the actors were first filmed in their regular costumes, then again wearing special costumes that revealed the shapes of guns and knives underneath translucent clothing. The two were then matted together.

Note from me: Here's another scene I always back up on the DVD and watch again. But I just don't it because I want to see the guns and knives under the peoples' clothes. It has nothing to do with the gorgeous, shapely girls who make me drool . . . Shocked

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this thread needs is one of those nice relaxing James Bond movie trailers.

Click on the link below, then put your feet up and just kick back. Cool

But don't forget to duck from time to time . . . Confused

____________ The World Is Not Enough Trailer

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenge is not hard to fathom for a man who believes in nothing.

The World is Not Enough is directed by Michael Apted and adapted to screenplay by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and Bruce Feirstein, using characters created by Ian Fleming. Music is scored by David Arnold and cinematography by Adrian Biddle.

Bond 19 and 007 is required to protect a female oil magnate from potential assassination, but it soon becomes apparent that something far bigger and sinister is around the corner.

Pierce Brosnan returns for his third turn as super suave secret agent James Bond and all the crucial elements for the franchise are firmly in place. From the exhilarating pre-credit sequence down the river Thames (14 minutes worth) to the glorious over the top explosive finale, this is a Bond film for those that enjoy the cheeky action led mania over thought and depth. Into the Bondian mix are the usual stalwarts; Judi Dench as M, Samantha Bond as Moneypenny, Desmond Llewelyn as Q (bidding a sad farewell to the franchise with a poignant moment) and Robbie Coltrane joyously returns as Zukovsky. Bond girl duties fall to Sophie Marceau (beautiful and solid) and Denise Richards (sexy, elfin like, but out of her depth) and the psycho for hire role lands at the considerably fine feet of Robert Carlyle, even if the latter is badly underused.

The World Is Not Enough (the Bond family motto) is a whizz bang entry in the series and finds Brosnan well settled in the role; nailing the multitude of traits that make Bond a man that women want to bed and a man that men want to be. Locales are lovely and interesting (Turkey, France, Spain, Azerbaijan), the plot carries some intelligence (with a decent mystery element for a change), characterisations are high end and Arnold's score is a safe accompaniment; as is the title song by Garbage. It is, however, all too aware of wanting to appease Bond fans across the spectrum. Thus the comedy moments come off as saggy and the more scientific aspects (as gloriously ridiculous as they are) feel more like auto-pilot plotting. Still, you get what you pay for with 90s Bond, and the action sequences are terrific. After the mixed Tomorrow Never Dies the makers were clearly intent on taking the fans on a ripper of a ride, and no doubt about it, they achieve that in spades; with the two hour running time just flying by.

Eon of course would take things one step too far three years later with the nadir that was Die Another Day, thus making this the last good Bond film before Daniel Craig's fabulous re-invention arrived in 2006. 7/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: