ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) Reply with quote

Roger Moore's second crack at the role of the legendary James Bond is actually further off the mark than his first try, though the fault doesn't lie entirely with Moore.

Christopher Lee is too Shakespearean for a Bond-film villain, Britt Ekland is too scrawny for a Bond-girl heroine, and Clifton James (again playing Sheriff J. W. Pepper) is almost too red-necked for "Smokey and the Bandit", much less a James Bond movie.

The story centers around the efforts of a million-dollar hit man (Lee) to acquire a priceless micro-chip to be used in his solar-powered laser cannon. There's a reasonable amount of action, most of which is set in the Orient, but nothing as memorable as the previous film's speedboat chase, even though this one has a speedboat chase as well.

The climax is a lackluster, one-on-one showdown between Moore and Lee on the villain's tiny island stronghold. Bond fans felt cheated by the lack of a big battle scene (an oversight which was handsomely corrected in the next Bond outing).

The title theme by British Pop star Lulu is considerably more Bond-like than Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" theme, but it wasn't as successful on the music charts.

The casting of Herve Villechaize as Christopher Lee's valet/henchman was a bad idea; instead of an exciting fight between Bond and an Oddjob-like henchman, the film concludes with Roger chasing Herve around a bedroom and tieing up the little pest in a net!

Directed by Bond-film veteran Guy Hamilton, which is something of a surprise, in view of the movie's faults. Moore's next Bond film, "The Spy Who Loved Me" was a big swing back in the right direction.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack luster as the movie is I remember it for the locals. The Pussycat Club in H.K., been there; Scaramunga's island in Thailand, been there.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it right now, and you're right, Pye-rate. This movie is so much better than Live and Let Die at presenting the Bond world-hoping locals. I sold the movie a little short in my post.
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to most of the places in Asia in the movie, the movie makes me want to go back.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 129 trivia items for this movie — a surprise in view of the fact that it's such a weak Bond film. Unfortunately there were only three which I found interesting. Sad

One of the lowest-grossing Bond films. That fact, combined with behind-the-scenes problems, nearly made this the final Bond film, and delayed production of the next entry in the series, The Spy Who Loved Me (1977).

Note from me: Interesting, considering what I just said about it above. Very Happy

In his autobiography, Roger Moore said that when they were filming the boat chase on the klongs, he fell in twice. The first was on purpose (because they told him not to do it), and the second time was by accident. On the second fall, Moore made the mistake of opening his eyes under water, and saw what the local undertakers did with the bodies of the less fortunate.

Note from me: And here we all thought that being a Bond star was all glitz and glamour! Shocked

While on location in Thailand, Roger Moore found a cave full of bats. He couldn't resist seeking out Christopher Lee, telling him what he had found and joking "Master, they are yours to command!" Lee appreciated the joke.

Note from me: This is the kind of trivia item I like — and anecdote about two of the actors. With bats.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read that Christopher Lee & Bond author, Ian Fleming, are related.

The gorgeous Maud Adams who plays Scaramunga's mistress would be one of the only actresses who would appear in 2 007 movies.

She would portray an entirely different albeit beautiful woman in Octopussy. In fact,she's the title character.

I also always found the gunfight finale scene to be a disappointing one. Not often that a Bond films drops the ball involving action scenes. They did so this time.

Scaramunga's island setting was always interesting to watch for me. The surrounding rock formations were fascinating to see.
johnnybear
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I did like the first scene that took place in the Bottoms Up club! Razz
JB
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to refresh everyone's memory, here's the bottom JB referred to. Cool

_The Man With The Golden Gun (1974) - Bottoms Up Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: