ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battleship (2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Battleship (2012) Reply with quote

While conducting international naval war games, an enormous fleet of war ships come across an alien armada, which has been hidden under the sea, and have surfaced a device which creates a huge impenetrable dome over a large portion of the ocean.

Only 3 naval destroyers have been trapped inside the force field with the aliens and must do battle against superior alien machines now surfacing.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp3646Zf8rg

I liked this movie
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it, too, and have the DVD.

I liked it for the visuals. The plot was senseless.

WayneO
-----------
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have participated in those war games. For me this was a reminder of good times.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded this one and watched it. Wasn't sure I liked it until it was about 2/3 finished, but then it won me over, so I bought the DVD. What the heck, it was only $5.00. What a deal, eh?

___________ Battleship (2012) Official HD Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it. I always wondered how they got Liam Neeson to do this. I think it's cool that they used the Missouri at the end, Nice bit of historical context.

I have to say though that turning a board game into a movie, especially one as silly as this, makes little sense to me. What's next, Mousetrap? Rolling Eyes
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow, interesting idea! What popular board games and earlier video games could be made into big budget movies the way they did with this one?

How 'bout:

Trivial Pursuit: The Adventure Begins!

Indiana Jones must race around the globe to find the answers to hundreds of trivia questions that will break an ancient curse which will destroy the world.

Pac Manster: The Man-Eating Monster!

Atomic radiation creates a gigantic mutant gif that goes on a rampage along America's highways, eating cars and their occupants! As it grows in size, it begins to eat towns and then cities! How can we stop this two-dimensional monster?

Zombie Mall Madness

A pair of Valley Girls are determined to take advantage of a mall-wide one-day sale, and they brave the flesh-eating zombies who have overrun the mall in their insane attempt to "shop 'til they drop"!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two plot elements of Battleship that I felt were carried over much too literally from the board game were both based on the grid aspect. One was having the alien ships literally jump from one location to the next. The other was the targeting of the alien positions, wherein those positions were based strictly on discrete grid squares.

I did feel, however, that the alien weapons were well imagined.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I admired the movie for keeping such a straight face while converting aspects of the board gamein to various plot elements in the movie, right down to those "mortar shells" they lobed over, which were made to look like the pegs in the game.

And each time these things landed, they punched into the deck of the ship and just sat there for a few seconds while the audience smiled and thought. "Oh . . . I get it." Very Happy

I should mention a small correction in Randy's initial post, concerning what he said below.

Randy wrote:
While conducting international naval war games, an enormous fleet of war ships come across an alien armada, which has been hidden under the sea, and have surfaced a device which creates a huge impenetrable dome over a large portion of the ocean.

The aliens ships actually came blazing down from space and crashed into the ocean, then they came up to the surface and did all the rest of what Randy said.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:24 pm; edited 8 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
...they punched into the deck of the ship and just sat there for a few seconds while the audience smiled and thought. "Oh . . . I get it." Very Happy

At least, those who were familiar with the commercial version of the game. The only version I ever played was hand-drawn on paper.

WayneO
-----------
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Two plot elements of Battleship that I felt were carried over much too literally from the board game were both based on the grid aspect. The other was the targeting of the alien positions, wherein those positions were based strictly on discrete grid squares.

In the navy we still use grid coordinates for targeting.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, that certainly sounds familiar, Pye-rate.?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it again last night, and guess who I saw...

Tarzan and Mr. Robot!

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Two plot elements of Battleship that I felt were carried over much too literally from the board game were both based on the grid aspect.

Using grid coordinates to target artillery and missile strikes would seem to be the most obvious and efficient method. Even a GPS system does this.

So, your objection seems a bit illogical.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Memorial Day, folks!

In many ways, this movie is the prefect tribute to the brave soldiers who died in past wars. If gives us battleships from Pearl Harbor, vintage ships from WWII, and veterans who crewed one of those aging ships in the climatic battle!

This is MY kind of movie! Very Happy

Obviously the film didn't do well because too many WWII veterans have died off — along with their sons (like me) — and the young snot-nosed punks who go to movies these days think stories like this one just made up all the history used in the plot! Rolling Eyes

My father served in the Navy during WWII. Even though he was never a fan of science fiction (being more into Western movies and TV series), I'm sure he might have liked this movie! Very Happy

~ Click on the image to see the original portrait I painted of my father in the earlier 1970s, before I altered it more recently to create the above version by adding the cowboy hat with Paint.net. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 40 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The veterans of the U.S.S. Missouri that Stone Hopper mentions are real life vets of the U.S.S. Missouri. Some served in World War II.

Note from me: I really love whole plot element concerning elderly WWII veterans rising to the task of using the old battleship to combat aliens. Very Happy

~ Hopper's calling upon the retired veterans to help crew the Missouri is inspired by actual historical events. When the Iowa class battleships were reactivated in the 1980's, the Navy had to recall veterans who had served on the ships during World War II and Korea, so they could teach the new crews how to operate the guns, fire control systems and other 1940's era technology.

Note from me: This item is gratify, because it legitimizes the idea that the veterans possessed "lost knowledge" which needed to be resurrected and put to good use. Very Happy

~ Hopper's order to drop the port anchor in order to rapidly swing the ship around to the opposite direction is a real-life maneuver known as clubhauling. It's very risky, but it allows a ship to re-tack in combat or an emergency. Clubhauling was used almost exclusively on sailing ships which were much lighter and easier to steer. A clubhaul on an Iowa class battleship would likely cause severe damage and injury.

Note from me: I'm glad this is not just a fabricated maneuver. It's presented very realistically in the movie, and the concept is quite logical. I also remember the maneuver being used in one the sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean.

~ The first of three big-budget, high-profile 2012 blockbusters, all starring Taylor Kitsch in the lead. The other two were John Carter (2012) and Oliver Stone's Savages (2012). All three were box-office disappointments, or failures. The fates of all three effectively stalled Kitsch's hopes of being the next big star.

Note from me: My opinion of Taylor Kitsch's acting is that he is intense, professional, and very talented. I like him in both Battleship and John Carter. It's a shame the public didn't appreciate the quality of those two exciting, highly imaginative movies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: