ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before I Hang (1940)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Before I Hang (1940) Reply with quote

___

Scientist Boris Karloff labors to develop a rejuvenation serum for elderly patients.

Frustrated by failure, Karloff takes pity on an elderly, suffering patient and commits a mercy killing, for which he is convicted of murder. The authorities allow him to continue his rejuvenation experiments in prison while he awaits his hanging.

Using a blood sample from a young condemned murderer, Karloff mixes a serum and injects himself with it. The serum works and he becomes young again!

Later, his sentence is commuted to life imprisonment, but one day he succumbs to a violent urge and strangles the prison doctor. After serving part of his sentence, he receives a pardon and goes back to practicing medicine.

Repeated occurrences of the homicidal tendency finally convince Karloff that the blood of the murderer he used in his serum has transformed him into a compulsive killer.

Directed by Nick Grinde.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not actually a trailer, it's an interest two-minute clip from this film, with a high quality picture. I've heard good things about this one, but I couldn't find a site that offered a download.

Oh well . . . Sad

___________________Before I Hang - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw this back in 1962 on Shock Theater, I thought it was excellent. For more than 50 years I would have called it the second best of Karloff's Columbia "mad scientist" movies.

Finally saw it again a couple of years ago. Borrrriiingg. I don't know what 12-year-old me saw in it, but, whatever it was, it sure ain't there no more.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I don't know what 12-year-old me saw in it, but, whatever it was, it sure ain't there no more.

Man, I can relate to that! Not necessarily with this movie, but for most other shows I watched as a whippersnapper

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true, gentlemen.

And yet we've also seen movies when were kids that we didn't fully appreciate, and years later we discovered the merits of these movies through wiser eyes.

Life is like a pretzel. That's why is goes so well with beer. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: