ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: A Tracy of Self Destruction Reply with quote

Tracy did not want to do this picture.

His most difficult characters were usually those outside his comfort zone, the all purpose American male. Pilon in Tortilla Flat and Manuel in Captains Courageous were great gambles for the apprehensive actor, even though he won an Oscar for the latter film.

Now he was being asked to portray an Englishman with a severe duel personality.

Tracy was a periodic alcoholic, alternately charming and brutal, according to sources. His idea was to play the Jekyll/Hyde split in pretty much the same way, using personal experience as a guide. He was dismayed when MGM purchased the Paramount script performed by Fredric March and basically shot a scene for scene remake.

He was savaged by the critics and he later proclaimed it to be the least favorite of his many films.

I saw the movie during a 1956 revival, intrigued by the trailer and not knowing anything about the plot. Got to admit, it scared the sno-caps out of me, and I loved every second of it.

Most of the sexual content washed over me (I was nine years old), but I never forgot Jekyll's initial transformation, his turning into Hyde in the park and that moment near the end when Lana Turner looks up expecting to see Jekyll only to find the leering face of Hyde.

The 1931 version finally became widely available in the 1970's and quickly became my favorite version, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Tracy remake and the terrors I felt in that cavernous old theatre all those years ago.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom, that is a magnificent review, extremely well written. I can't tell you how happy I am that you've returned to All Sci-Fi. Very Happy

As you know, you're a big part of why I created the first version of All Sci-Fi in 2006 after we shared those wonderful posts on the IMDB message boards. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: