ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Renault's Secret (1942)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Dr. Renault's Secret (1942) Reply with quote

20th Century Fox takes a crack at horror/science fiction in the midst of Universal's heyday, using a good cast but a fairly routine concept. Scientist George Zucco turns a gorilla into an ape-man, portrayed by J. Carrol Naish.

This competent little yarn from director Harry Lachman runs less than an hour.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful trailer for this interesting movie, and the picture quality is superb. I'd love to see this one.

___________Dr. Renault's Secret (1942) trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a real treat! A Double Feature with excellent picture quality and a brief intro with classic drive-in theater promos.

I have such fond memories of those promos. They always give me a good feeling. Very Happy

20TH CENTURY FOX HORROR DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE - DR. RENAULT'S SECRET and THE UNDYING

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a demonstration in how to come up with new posts for All Sci-Fi to keep it from dying out like so many other messages have done since I first created the original version of this one in 2006. Shocked

First, look for the full movie on YouTube and post it in the deluxe style I do. Like this! Very Happy

__________ Dr Renault's Secret 1942 Full Movie

Then simply copy-and-paste Wikipedia's spoiler-laden synopsis and prove that my initial comments on this move are guilty of selling this interesting movie short! Sad

While doing that, you can have fun "revising" the Wikipedia synopsis by fixing its typos and adding the punctuation and paragraph breaks the all seem to desperately need! Rolling Eyes

That's what I did with the one below.

A young doctor named Larry Forbes (Shepperd Strudwick) arrives in a French village in order to wed the niece of prominent local doctor, Dr. Renault (George Zucco).

Dr. Forbes learns from the innkeeper that a storm has washed out the bridge to Renault's house, and he ends up spending the night at the inn. There he meets most of the film's main characters, including Dr. Renault's strangely deformed man servant, Noel (J. Carrol Naish).

It is during the night that the first of the murders occurs. Another tourist takes a room in the Inn and is killed mysteriously! Shocked

The next day, Forbes travels to the house of Dr. Renault, where he is reunited with Renault's pretty young niece, Madeline (Lynne Roberts).

A sequence of strange events, including an incident in which Noel is viciously attacked by a stray dog that Madeline picked up, convinces Forbes that there is something unusual about Noel, but he does not know what it is.

Also, it quickly becomes clear that Noel is interested in Madeline as well. Sad (Uh-oh . . .)

Renault confronts Noel, and it is revealed that his man servant is actually an experiment — an animal given the physical and mental characteristics of a man. Fearing for Forbes' life (as well as his own), Renault locks Noel in a cage, but the former animal is able to use his strength to escape and follows Forbes and Madeline to a carnival.

There he is heckled by a pair of villagers — who are promptly murdered in their homes!

Forbes' suspicions increase, and he sneaks into Dr. Renault's laboratory. There he finds a book detailing the experiments Dr. Renault carried out to transform Noel from an ape into a man. Renault catches Forbes reading his notes and threatens to kill him if he reveals the truth to anyone.

But Noel sneaks up on the both of them, and he kills Dr. Renault!

In the closing sequence, Madeline is abducted by her gardener, an ex-convict named Rogell (Mike Mazurki), and Noel pursues them. After a lengthy chase, Rogell shoots Noel. Before succumbing to his wounds, Noel strangles Rogel

Right after doing this, I discovered that the new YouTube version I posted above is stretched horizontally — something I really hate! But the Double Feature version I posted earlier looks terrific! Very Happy

After watching a few scenes from the latter part of this movie, I realized that this sci-fi story from FOX is considerably more to my liking than many of the old Universal horror movies, with all those non-sci-fi vampires and mummies! Rolling Eyes

Having said that, I'm now tempted to check the 2nd feature on the Double Feature version which YouTube offers — The Undying Monster! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: