ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lost World (1925)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, you've summarized the situation perfectly. And from our phone conversations, you know I agree with you statements completely. Very Happy

Pow wrote:
As for a sequel, Bud, I ask that the intrepid explorers use an awesome looking airship this time around.

Great Ceasar's Ghost! Why the hell didn't I think of that? I love airships, and the Burroughs's novel Tarzan at the Earth's Core describes how the explorers get to Pellucidar by traveling in an airship made of super-strong, super-light-weight metal.

Here's how the ERB website Black Gate describes it.

Tarzan helps with the construction of airship O-220 by bringing a special metal from Central Africa, vibranium Harbenite, allowing for lightweight construction so the O-220 can use vacuum tanks rather than helium or hydrogen.

Since I've been a huge fan of that concept for decades, I'm ashamed of the fact that I didn't come up the same brilliant idea you did! Sad

An airship would be absolutely perfect for a Lost World sequel, because it would transports our explorers to the plateau quickly and easily, then it would allow them to cruise above the prehistoric environment in complete safety. Very Happy

Whenever they decide to land and explore a small area on foot, the grounded airship would provide a safe and comfortable home-away-home.

Imagine an exciting scene in which a group of scientists set out to collect samples of the fauna and take both photos and movies of the wildlife.

But they encounter one of the large carnivorous bipeds and have to flee back to the ship!

The dinosaur attacks the ship, and the captain orders the vacuum tanks to be emptied of air so they can lift off before the dinosaur smashes through the big view ports on the bridge! Shocked

However, as the ship rises above the jungle it's attacked by several pterosaurs, some of which land on the giant ship and try to bit the engines and stabilizers, while others fly against the bridge view ports and damage them.

Wow, I can almost hear the powerful music that would run throughout these dynamc scenes! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid pix, Bud.

The vivid colors make it compelling. I loved the dino skull covered in moss and vegetation.

Your airship looks awesome. Majestic and formidable.

This sequel to The Lost World should really happen.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Effects: The History and the Technique by Richard Rickitt.

On the strength of his previous efforts featuring stop-motion dinosaurs in his films (most notably Nippy's Nightmare and The Ghost of Slumber Mountain), Willis O'Brien was hired to bring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's dinosaurs to life for The Lost World.

Conscious that his dinosaur puppets---pliable clay bodies sculpted over jointed wooden skeletons---would not be sophisticated for The Lost World (1925), O'Brien hired a young sculptor called Marcel Delgado, whom he had met at art class.

Using the classic dinosaur paintings of Charles Knight for reference, Delgado spent two years coaxing fifty exquisitely detailed prehistoric beasts back from extinction. Each 18"creature was given an anatomically correct steel armature, complete with articulated spine and tiny ball-and-socket joints for every moving limb and digit.

Once complete, the skeletons were painstakingly built up with cotton wadding and pieces of sponge to represent bulging muscle and flesh.

Some models were fitted with air bladders so that they could be inflated and deflated during animation to mimic the animal's labored breathing.

The skeletons were supplemented with wire inserts where extra movement might be required, such as in the lips, eyebrows and cheekbones.

Each padded body was then given an outer skin of liquid latex. Warts, scales and other surface textures were cast in latex and individually stuck on to the dinosaurs before the skin was painted.
--------------------------------------------------------------Note: This article makes me appreciate even more, if that's even possible, the tremendous amount of time and labor that went into creating and executing the special effects for The Lost World.

Note: It also shows that it was a team effort. No one is a greater admirer of the legendary Willis O'Brien than I am. However, we must acknowledge that it also took the talented Marcel Delgado, inspired by artist Charles Knight, to make The Lost World come together to become the cinematic innovator and success that it did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: