ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Worlds Collide - Steven Sommers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: When Worlds Collide - Steven Sommers Reply with quote

I first posted the comment below in 2007, and I can't seem to find out if the project is still on (six years later) or not. But we have a nice thread about it on All Sci-Fi and I thought I'd get one started on The New All Sci-Fi.

I love "The Mummy Returns" and "Van Helsing". However, I can't seem to warm up to "The Mummy", though I'm damned if I can figure out why.

A year or so ago, Sommers was reportedly working on a "Flash Gordon" project, which I thought was perfect for him in view of the great job he had done with the "Mummy" and "Dracula" legends.

Then, all of a sudden, I learned that Sommers was working on a "Collide" remake. This didn't seem too smart to me.

I love what he did with the "Mummy" and "Dracula" concepts — but if he tries to turn "When Worlds Collide" into a cinematic thrill-ride, I'll be very disappointed.

Thoughts, anyone?

Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would actually prefer no remake. The tendency to make these films for the bubblegum and popcorn summer crowd.......nahhh
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project is apparently still in the works! I found this at MovieWeb. Click on the title to read the whole article.

Stephen Sommers Writing & Directing When World Collide Remake

By Brian B. | 5 months ago

According to Variety, Paramount Pictures and Steven Spielberg have brought Stephen Sommers back into their tentpole remake of When World Collide. Sommers will write and direct the picture, and Spielberg will produce.

Sommers, who directed The Mummy and Van Helsing, was aligned with the project when Paramount first made a deal for it earlier this year (Daily Variety, April 11).

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramount Pictures and Steven Spielberg didn't really impress me with their take on War of the Worlds, so I'm not to anxious to see what they do with WWC.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielberg runs hot and cold. And Sommers runs hot and cold, too.

So, our apprehension is justified. And since Steven Sommers leans toward fast-paced action films with humor generously mixed in with the Horror (like The Mummy and Van Helsing), I suspect that his version of When Worlds Collide will be a lot like 2012, his buddy Roland Emmerich's end-of-the-world film, 2012.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I hope he does it well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: