ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Birds Do It (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Birds Do It (1966) Reply with quote

______

Leave it to veteran comic Soupy Sales to get a snicker out of a three-word double entendre title.

The thing that birds do, of course, is fly — and so does Soupy, thanks to a lab accident that gives him "negative ionization". Never mind what it means, just enjoy the view from aloft — which includes the gorgeous Beverly Adams (Lovey Kravezit from the Matt Helm series).

Miss Adams is strongly attracted to Soupy, partly because of the negative whatchama-call-it. Tab Hunter and Arthur O'Connell are also on hand.

Not exactly a laugh riot, but Soupy has always possessed a rare gift for seeming totally relaxed while simultaneously being on the verge of hysterical laughter. Watching him is like watching a humorous friend — even when he's not funny he's still friendly.

Directed by Andrew Marton.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB's summary of this movie makes me wish I could find a download of it and watch it again. I saw it when it first came out and vaguely remember liking it.

Melvin Byrd, who dreams of being a scientist, is a Cape Kennedy "miniscule molecular particle surveillance monitor" — in short, a janitor.

His job is to keep a major rocket project completely dust-free, and this he does with his own hilariously fantastic inventions — including a literal attack on dirt by a "knight on a white horse".

In his work, he meets Judy, a chimp involved in a top-secret project, which leads Melvin into the one room strictly off-limits to him. Not until he has entered the project room does Melvin learn that any man entering it will be negatively ionized — making him fly like a bird.

And this YouTube clip is a good example of the funny routines Soupy did, with crew members laughing off stage constantly, and Soupy slipping in subtle jokes that race by, requiring constant attention.

Soupy says, "White Fang, you actually found a place down the street that sells chicken dinners for a quarter? Where is it? Oh . . . the feed store." Rolling Eyes

] ___ Soupy Sales With White Fang Hilarity

______

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 am; edited 5 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, that YouTube clip is the first time I ever saw both of White Fang's paws at the same time!

I was such a big fan of Soupy Sales, I seriously considered making myself a White Fang sleeve. But I felt it just wouldn't come across properly without the proper framing.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne, somehow knowing you were a Soupy Sales fan seems to bring us closer together. Cool

Here's another clip you'll enjoy.

________ Soupy Sales - "Soupy's Orange Juice"

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
including a literal attack on dirt by a "knight on a white horse".

An example of where that joke came from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZK5VkQes4

Another commercial that was used as a joke in the movie, the scene is at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30XXrrK3lY

There may be more in the movie, but I haven't seen the movie since the early 70s. I remember those two, because I loved those commercials as a child.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Soupy blooper (maybe a boober!) was this out-take from one of his shows! This WAS shown on TV, but of course the audience couldn't see who was at the door!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cherobZX9cc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: