ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek: Enterprise (2001)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Star Trek: Enterprise (2001) Reply with quote

Bud and I are re-watching Enterprise and we are enjoying every moment.

Great action scene from Enterprise - Azati Prime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNQFHmV4ds

Here is the NX-01 and NX-02 together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKcjrJLS2ZE

Rifleman tribute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG648C0Saxk

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you and I are the only members of this board who care about that show. Too bad, because we enjoyed it!

Hey, let's watch it again!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I both liked and hated the series.

I liked it because it was well done with good and decent stories.

I hated it because it messed with established canon.

bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you assume that the Enterprise TV series is in an alternate timeline - and you have to assume that because of canon issues - then it is very entertaining.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the old "alternate timeline" dodge is a great excuse for tossing out whatever you don't like and changing anything you want to.

I was talking to my other self in an alternate timeline recently (we have a phone plan that allows unlimited long distance, even to parallel universes) and he said he didn't like that lame excuse for inconsistent story telling either.

Sometimes I think the other me is as smart as I am!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Yes, the old "alternate timeline" dodge is a great excuse for tossing out whatever you don't like and changing anything you want to.

Much like altering the images with modern processes? Wink

Altering and retelling stories is as old as... well... telling stories. (And it's certainly as old as comic books.) To hold the original "canon" sacrosanct is to pretend that the original version is the best that could be imagined; flawless. Rebooting doesn't destroy the original. It just gives you a choice. (I'm feeling a little deja-vuey here.)

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
To hold the original "canon" sacrosanct is to pretend that the original version is the best that could be imagined; flawless. Rebooting doesn't destroy the original. It just gives you a choice. (I'm feeling a little deja-vuey here.)

Altering it is fine if you're starting all over and making it new and different, keeping some parts and changing others.

But continuing a story line with established characters with well-known backstories and it's own "internal logic" which allows things to happen that can't happen in real life (like Pon Far and warp drive) is different.

Messing around with a story universe that supposed to be a continuation of one already established is like changing the rules in the middle of a game so that an action your team makes which was illegal when they made it is suddenly legal.

Take it from a writer, that's just not considered cricket!

Besides, good writers take pride in figuring out how to make the story interesting without breaking the "story rules". That's the challenge. That's what makes writing fun.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the key here is "continuation" of a story line. Most reboots these days include origins.

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Star Trek Enterprise breaks with cannon, because it is a prequel to the Next Gen, not to "Star Trek". Which is one of the reasons I quit watching the show after "Special Unit 2" was taken off the air. Plus, from what I have read, the show turned out to be a piece of fiction in the end.

Also, for some reason that Enterprise reminds me more of a Gerry Anderson design, than a ST design.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Sounds like the key here is "continuation" of a story line. Most reboots these days include origins.

Exactly. Enterprise was a prequel of the TOS storyline, not a reboot. That's sort of a continuation on the "front end", isn't it?

Krel wrote:
Plus, from what I have read, the show turned out to be a piece of fiction in the end.

If you mean the series finale, which was a holodeck recreation of historical events which Riker was studying, I don't think that meant the whole series was "a piece of fiction". They just used that holodeck idea to wrap things up quickly (since the series had been cancelled), and to link Enterprise with TNG in an imaginative way.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Shirt Insurance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoHCakudfMs&nohtml5=False
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enterprise Complete Series Blu-ray Collection Out 2/14/17

Don't yet own every episode of Star Trek: Enterprise? Now's your chance, as CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Media Distribution will release Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Series Blu-ray collection... 2/14/17

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/enterprise-complete-series-blu-ray-collection-out-tomorrow#sthash.DdL0dPUu.dpuf
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYK? Had ST:E been picked up for a fifth season they would have had the Romulan War as a major story line.

They would have also done the backstory of the Borg Queen. She was originally a Starfleet medical technician that was assimilated by a Borg drone.

Actress Alice Krige would reprise her role as the Borg Queen.

I enjoyed some of the stuff that this series did; other stuff not so much. The sets, props, and visual effects were all top notch! I liked the design of the Enterprise too.

The cast was fine and I've always liked Bakula in any role he performs.

The time travel war or whatever they called it was a bloody mess.

The upgraded make-up for the Andorians & Tellerites was sensational. They were able to achieve things that could not be done on the 1966 series.

The Romulan space ships on the original show were kinda meh to me. On ST:E their design was terrific.

Not a fan of the theme score at all. Feels like I'm at a Folk Music concert.

Had they been renewed for a fifth season, these plot lines sounded intriguing.

It would have been interesting to see how they would have written the Romulan War episodes if they adhered to the premise from "Balance of Terror" on the original show.

In "Balance of Terror" Mr. Spock clearly states during his report that no human or ally ever managed to see what a Romulan looked like during or after the war and up to the present.

Could ST:E been able to pull off a story arch without humans or allies of humans ever having the opportunity to see a Romulan in person?

Would they have done an episode where someone does in fact see exactly what a Romulan looks like? However, for some reason they choose never to reveal what they saw — or are killed before they can tell anyone?

The Borg Queen story line also sounds quite cool. I'm curious as to how and where these Borg originated? How does this Starfleet med-tech rise to the position of queen within the collective?

Many, many stories could have been told with these two plot lines for a fifth season. A pity we never received one.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, Pow! Your post made me aware of "lost opportunities" concerning this series which I had NOT been aware of! Shocked

During my six-year online friendship with the late Bulldogtrekker (Tim Edwards), we actually watched this entire series all the way through . . . twice!

I actually grew to like the vocal title theme, but Tim never did. After hearing it a dozen times I came to think of it as what might have been played at Gene Roddenberry's funeral — a sweet tribute to the man who created Star Trek.
Sad

________________ Enterprise - Season 1 Intro

However, I'll confess that it also took me a while to realize that the theme for Star Trek: Voyager was perfect for that series, too — a series that I truly love.

_________ Star Trek Voyager Opening Sequence

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I had the exact same reaction as you did regarding ST:V's theme song when I first heard it: underwhelmed.

However, in time I've come to quite enjoy it.

I suppose that can happen with any sci~fi TV series. And not only with the score for the show but with other aspects to it.

The designs for ships, sets, props and wardrobe might initially leave us less than impressed. In time though some things can grow on you.

I was not fond of the Excaliber star ship on the Babylon 5 spin-off series Crusade. Came to love it eventually.

Keep an open mind is the lesson and give things time. We might just change our mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: