ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth II (1971 TV movie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lifelong devotee of Star Trek I cannot believe I made that error. Thanks for pointing it out.
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
In an apartment we see a small screen television in a wall with a telephone with a cord directly next to it. When you answer the phone the TV must be muted if anyone is watching it. Not that in 1971 the writers could anticipate the large screen TV's & cordless phones we now have. Still, having the phone located right next to the television seems a clumsy arrangement.

Cordless phones were known back in 1953. "Project Moon Base" had cordless phones. Some places don't like cordless phones due to frequency interference. In a hospital you see signs asking you not to use your cell phone in certain areas. People ignore them, but they're there.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently, passengers were asked to turn off their cell phones during take-offs and landings because they interfered with the electronics in the cockpit.

However, our newest trusty "smart phones" (which are too smart for me to want one Confused) now have an "airplane" setting which connects to the plane's onboard device. It relays the signal to ground-based receivers and passes it on to the recipients.

Gentlemen, clearly we are no longer living in the fondly remember 1950s. Nor are we living in what we think of as the "present". Confused

Obviously we are now living in what we envisioned as "The Future" when we were kids! Shocked

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Obviously we are now living in what we envisioned as "The Future" when we were kids! Shocked

I don't know, my vision of the future was a lot more fun and, involved undersea colonies, Moon Colonies, interplanetary travel, rayguns and rocketbelts or jet packs. I don't need flying cars, they could interfere with rocketbelt flight. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, your correct. In fact, my statement was completely wrong! I shouldn't have said "we are now living in what we envisioned as The Future when we were kids." Sad

We envisioned a "fun future"— but what we got was a future with technology that includes "harmful side effects". It's similar to the way many of the "miracle drugs" we've developed are a mixed back of good and bad effects.

Cell phones are great — except that people tend to stare at them instead of talking to the person right across the table in a restaurant.

And God forbid that kids should talk to other people . . . instead of texting half-literate messages and playing those witless video game, not to mention the way they no longer have to use their own imaginations! :;shock:

And let's not forget how handy cell phones are at remotely detonating bombs.

Technology has revolutionized war . . . and terrorism.

Medical research has done wonders to improve medical treatments . . . but occasionally it invents new viral threats.

Social media actually encourages people to remain isolated, rather than encouraging them to develop physical friendships.

Electronic forms of entertainment make it far too easy to neglect anything involving physical exercise.

The negative affect on people's attention span is painfully apparent in the way all forms of entertainment have become so fast paced.

David, for a moment I somehow forgot about the future that was supposed to include those amazing undersea colonies, Moon Colonies, interplanetary travel, rayguns, and rocketbelts or jet packs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: