ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964 England)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: The Evil of Frankenstein (1964 England) Reply with quote

The third film in Hammer studio's resurrection of the classic Universal horror genre isn't the best of the bunch, but it does have its moments.

Peter Cushing is the famous doctor again, returning to the Old Country after a disapproving priest destroys Cushing's lab. He learns that his ancestral castle has been looted by the local folk.

Cushing and his assistant (Sandor Eles) meet a mute peasant girl (Kathy Wild) who takes them to her cave dwelling where they find the frozen monster. Kiwi Kingston portrays the monster, wearing makeup that looks like a crude caricature of the Karloff version, complete with a huge square head and a line of stitches the size of boot laces running across the top of his head from ear to ear.

Even after they thaw him out, the monster remains in a coma, so Cushing seeks the aid of a mesmerist (Peter Woodthorpe), who uses hypnosis to reactivate the monster's brain.

But Woodthorpe secretly utilizes the monster to commit a series of revenge murders on the locals. (If I had a nickle for every time somebody did [i]that]/i] . . . )

Directed by Freddie Francis, unlike most of the Cushing/Hammer horror films, which were skillfully handled by Terence Fisher.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rip-roaring good trailer for this beloved movie, better than some of the British trailers I've seen. If you're a Hammer fan, this will have you popping in your DVD of the movie right after dinner. Very Happy

_____________ The Evil of Frankenstein - trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only six IMDB trivia items for this movie, but a few of them are interesting.

According to the Blu-ray's 'making of' featurette, Peter Cushing (Victor Frankenstein) is vigorously cutting away at a cabbage during the title sequence. It was originally used to emulate the crunching sound of slicing through bone, but this was eventually censored with the title music.

Cushing, being very adamant on the technical details of his performance, always demanded the presence of technical advisors on set. During the surgical sequences, he wanted to make sure he used the scalpel correctly. He was also quoted to "want to convince any doctors in the audience".

Note from me: I admire Cushing for being so dedicated to the quality of his performance.

When first shown on television in 1968, some theatrical scenes were replaced by less intense scenes filmed by another director and with extra actors included.

Note from me: I don't think I heard of another movie doing this. Scenes are often cut out for television, but filming TV versions of certain scenes is unusual.

In The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), Hammer were barred from copying any details from the Universal films of the 1930s and '40s, including the famous monster make-up. This film, however, was distributed by Universal, and so Hammer had free rein to copy elements from the Universal franchise, most noticeably the creature's make-up and the laboratory sets.

Note from me: I'll confess that I'm not overly impressed with the makeup in the earlier films. But the makeup in this one is too much like a caricature of the Karloff makeup.

johnnybear
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, apart from the square head look I can't believe any man ever born looked like that chalky monster!
JB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: