ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - (2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - (2012) Reply with quote

(from Wikipedia)

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is a 2012 comedy-drama film written and directed by Lorene Scafaria. The film stars Steve Carell and Keira Knightley.

(partial synopsis of a movie which seems too weird for words! Shocked)

The film opens with an announcement that a seventy-mile-wide asteroid named Matilda is on a collision course with Earth and that a last ditch effort to destroy it has failed. The world has three weeks until impact, at which time all of humanity will be wiped out. Dodge Petersen (Steve Carell) and his wife Linda listen to the broadcast from the side of the road. Seconds later, Linda flees the vehicle without saying a word to him.

(What I think of this wacky movie -- based on the available info, since I haven't seen it.)

Feel free to read the rest of the Wikipedia plot summary of this movie. A word of warning, however: It starts out insane and goes downhill from there. However, in view of the fact that the movie is described as a comedy-drama, perhaps I'm judging it too harshly.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am; edited 4 times in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this and actually quite enjoyed it. Seeing Steve Carell playing a bit different to his wacky self was quite nice.

I'm not saying its GREAT, but it is a good movie. I was surprised but happy with the ending btw.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, this DOES look good! Very Happy

_Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first twenty minutes and then the last five.

It just didn't seem like my kind of movie. I should probably have stuck with it, but Steve Carell's character was just such a helpless victim of everything that happened around him, it bummed me out.

I love Carell in Get Smart, in which he bravely faced all adverse situations with unflinching self-confidence. Now THAT'S my kind of movie. Very Happy

If you give it a try, don't quit as quickly as I did. You might discover the virtues of this film that I missed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: