ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Make a Monster (1958)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: How to Make a Monster (1958) Reply with quote

A fun idea, even if you don't agree that it's a fun movie. But if you were kid in 1958 and saw that poster outside the theater, you were chompin' at the bit to see this one.

A makeup artist goes berserk when the studio he works for decides that horror movies are out of style (!). While working on the studio's last monster film, he concocts a mind-altering drug and mixes it with the makeup worn by Gary Conway (repeating his role as the teenaged Frankenstein) and Gary Clark (as the teenaged werewolf).

Presto!

The actors think they are real monsters and set out to kill their master's enemies -- namely the boneheaded studio execs who think horror movies are dead. Meanwhile the makeup man fixes himself up as a caveman and joins the homicidal free-for-all.

Directed by Herbert L. Strock.
Sci-fi fans will enjoy spotting props borrowed from other American International films such as "Invasion of the Saucer Men". The cast includes Morris Ankrum, the most frequently-seen character actor in 1950s science fiction movies.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen this one yet, shame on you!

Let's rectify that grave injustice right here and right now. Look deep into my eyes . . . deeper . . . deeper . . . you can feel your will fading, your mind growing weak . . . your feet falling asleep and getting that tingling sensation! You are now my slave . . .

Click on the first link below and watch the trailer, then use the second link to watch the movie. After doing so, you will go out into the night and kill an innocent bystander with your inhumanly strong hands!

When you finish, you will remember nothing . . . Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Au contraire, I have seen it. It's ridiculous. And I can only assume that graphic enhancement at the end wasn't a screw-up on the film, but something to surprise the audience?

Spoiler alert: yes, I mean the movie turning color.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 8 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ This was advertised with the tagline "See the Ghastly Ghouls in Flaming Color!" However, most of the movie was in black and white with only the final two reels in color.

Note from me: I'm sure some members of the audience felt cheated when he movie started and they saw it was NOT in color. Confused

~ Samuel Z. Arkoff wanted Bela Lugosi for the lead in this film. Lugosi was an influence to Arkoff years before. Unfortunately, Lugosi had died in 1956.

Note from me: I'm not sure that Lugosi's physical and mental condition in his last years would have allowed him to play the role as well as Robert H. Harris. He was convincingly psychotic.

~ In one scene the visitors to the studio are told that they are going to be taken to the set of Horrors of the Black Museum (1959). This was an advanced plug for what would be the next film to be produced and written by Herman Cohen.

Note from me: Clever! A sort of "trailer" within the movie. Laughing

~ Hanging on the wall of Pete's home are the heads of several of Paul Blaisdell's monster creations. It Conquered the World (1956), Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957), and The She-Creature (1956).

Note from me: The shots of the wall with all the masks is part of the color portion of the film, and the masks are well displayed. They look like a museum exhibit.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another YouTube member who has created Drive-in Double Feature videos which include a vintage drive-in "welcome messages” and a double feature with those great old “snack bar” promos during intermission!

"So, get comfortable, folks! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!" Very Happy

Enjoy!
_

Double Feature Drive-in: How to Make a Monster & The Phantom from 10000 Leagues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: