ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory Reply with quote

When I was about thirteen years old, my friend Jimmy and I often played around with my reel-to-reel tape recording. We'd create comedy versions of imaginary movies and serials, like The Mud Monster From Slime Land and Flash Gordon.

Jimmy played Dr. Zarkoff as a goofy old moron who thought Mars Candy Bars were made by Martians. I did the voice of both Flash and Dale, so I got to flirt with myself. Zarkoff would burst in on Dale shortly after we blasted off for Mars, while Dale was in the shower. I'd scream in a falsetto voice while Jimmy cackled maniacally. Laughing

The Mud Monster skit start off with Jimmy portraying Monstro, a perverted old Late Show host who encouraged kids to sneak up and watch him on school nights.

I still have the Mud Monster tape, and on it Jimmy mentions an upcoming feature called Werewolf in a Girls Dormitory. For over sixty years I actually thought Jimmy made up the title! Shocked

But lo and behold, it's a real movie and YouTube has it! Furthermore, I watched it a few days ago, and to my absolute astonishment, the darn thing is actually fairly good!

Watch the well-done trailer below, narrated by the legendary Art Gilmore.

But don't be fooled by the snippet of the rock n' roll title theme ("There's a Ghoul in the School"), because this a dark and spook tale, without a trace of comic relief or a single shot of girls wiggling their butts at a school dance!

In fact, it takes place at a reform school, were all the attractive gals are inmates!

_____ Werewolf In A Girl's Dormitory 1963 trailer

Admittedly you'll have to watch three-fourths of the movie to finally get to a pretty cool climax, and you won't see the moderately impressive werewolf makeup until that point.

But this Italian-made Horror/Sci-Fi does have some merit. The claim to it's sci-fi status comes from the fact that two young-ish doctors conduct a medical experiment which creates the Wolf-Creature.

The film effectively has the audience guessing who the werewolf is until the later part of the movie, with an equal number of male and female suspects — but that was part of what I enjoyed about it.

Like I said, if you stick with it on a rainy afternoon and don't expect too much, it won't be a complete waste of time
. Cool

_________ WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS' DORMITORY

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is impressive? (Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory):

Than this? (Werewolf of London):

Or this? (The Wolfman):

I chose brown for the titles to emulate the fur — Eadie.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory Reply with quote

My dear Miss Eadie, you've told us that your godfather, Mr Robert "Butch" Day, has taught you to be observant, and he would quickly point out the key word you missed below.
Laughing

Bud Brewster wrote:
Admittedly you'll have to watch three-fourths of the movie to finally get to a pretty cool climax, and you won't see the moderately impressive werewolf makeup until that point.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with the "Twilight" saga movies Twilight (2008), The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009), The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 (2011) and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (2012). I didn't find Mr. Hull's werewolf to be even FAINTLY impressive.
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: That Was a Hull of a Wolf Reply with quote

The Werewolf of London was in the Shock Theater package which played on Tuesday at 11 p.m. in my area. A school night. I cursed the television station for that for years.

I made it through about a half hour before conking out and didn't get to see the rest of it until the vhs release a thousand years later.

It has it's problems, but I'm a fan. Love that transformation sequence as Hull walks behind a series of posts to emerge more and more wolfish.

I saw the dormitory wolf on YouTube a while back and don't really remember all that well. I'll give it another look.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'll like it. Just remember that it was sort of letting it keep me company while I posted things on All Sci-Fi, and I was not really impressed by the first 3/4 of the movie.

But things got interesting near the end, and I decided that it had more merit than I'd first thought. When you get to the part where the Wolf Person is chained to a stone wall while a doctor person administers an injection, the drama really kicks in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: