ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Alive! (1969 TV movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: It's Alive! (1969 TV movie) Reply with quote

_____

Not to be confused with the 1974 movie about a monster baby — this monstrosity was spawned by Larry Buchanan, who produced, directed, and wrote the screenplay from a story by Richard Matheson (author of the novel and the script for "The Incredible Shrinking Man") about a dinosaur called a masasaurus.

In Buchanan's version the "dinosaur" is a man in a ridiculous monster suit.

It lives in a cave, and when a local rancher with a fondness for pet reptiles finds the monster he decides to add it to his collection, feeding it any unfortunate person who falls into his clutches.

By sheer good luck a paleontologist happens by. Even more good luck, the paleontologist is Tommy Kirk ("Village of the Giants"). As a scientist, Kirk can at least appreciate the fact that he's being eaten by an extinct creature. Co-star Shirley Bonne looks nice — but other than that, the film has little to recommend.

If you're curious you can endure it — I mean, enjoy it — right here on Youtube.

_______________________ It's Alive (1969)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB only has three trivia items for this movie, but two of them are actually interesting (especially the second on below). Very Happy

The monster in this movie originally appeared in director Larry Buchanan's earlier movie Creature of Destruction (1967)

Note from me: "He's back! The creature from Creature of Destruction is alive in It's Alive. . . even though it's a different movie!" (I can see that one the poster.)

This has the unusual distinction of being a remake of a movie that was never made in the first place.

When American International made a deal with Larry Buchanan to remake some of their movies ("It Conquered the World" became "Zontar, the Thing from Venus," "The She-Creature" became "Creature of Destruction" and so forth), they evidently included a script based on Richard Matheson's story "Being."

The production had gone by several titles, including "G.O.O.", and was to have starred Peter Lorre and Elsa Lanchester. Apparently Lorre's death canceled the project, so AIP earned back some of their money by passing the script on to Buchanan.

Note from me: "Peter Lorre and Elsa Lanchester, together again for the first time in a movie they didn't actually make!" (Buchanan could have put that too on the poster and confused the hell out of everybody. Laughing)

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've seen both movies, Comet TV shows them. The monster suit is obviously made from a SCUBA wet-suit. They didn't even try to hide the zippers! Laughing

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: It's Alive! (1969 TV movie) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Co-star Shirley Bonne looks nice — but other than that, the film has little to recommend.

Shirley Bonne, of course, is known to Star Trek geeks as Ruth in the TOS episode "Shore Leave." I actually knew her way back in my Cub Scout days, pre-Star Trek. At the time I was only vaguely aware that she was an actress -- to us kids she was Mrs. Freemond.

I always wondered if she could pick up subspace radio signals with those earrings.

Last edited by scotpens on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: It's Alive! (1969 TV movie) Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
I always wondered if she could pick up subspace radio signals with those earrings.

Oooh, that seems unlikely, Scotpens. Police calls, maybe, and the occasional UHF tv station. But subspace signals? Naw, she'd need a third triangle for that. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: