ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955/67 US/Czechoslovakia)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955/67 US/Czechoslovakia) Reply with quote

_____

Originally filmed in Czechoslovakia in 1954, the American Museum of Natural History filmed new scenes in 1967 for this remarkable study of prehistoric life using high-quality stop motion animation.

A group of young boys rent a boat at an inner-city park and enter a small cave. When they come out the other side of the cave they find themselves on a river in an uninhabited area. As they float down the river, they travel progressively further into the past, encountering wooly mammoths, prehistoric rhinoceros, and then dinosaurs -- all of which are extremely well animated, photographed, and matted.

This rare and amazing film was written and directed by Karl Zeman, the man who brought us The Fabulous World of Jules Verne.

During the 1960s, "Journey to the Beginning of Time" was shown in serialized form on television in some areas, amazing animation fans with this unexpected treat.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch sent me the url for a trailer on Youtube!
Very Happy

____ Journey to the beginning of time (1955) Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in the Chicago area, the serialized version was shown on Garfield Goose and Friends once a year. I couldn't wait for it to come on. I found the full version a few years ago and got two, one for me and one for my brother.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what seems to be first hour of the film, with a mediocre picture.

____________ Journey to the Beginning of Time

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice box art for the VHS tape . . . except that I would have painted the boys watching the dinosaur battle going on right in front of them. Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 8 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Most of the prehistoric animal reconstructions have been modeled after the artwork of renowned Czech painter Zdenek Burian. This is perhaps most apparent on the Brontosaurus, which is standing in almost the exact same pose as in Burian's famous piece and has the exact same detailing on its body. Strangely, the prominently-featured Stegosaurus and Ceratosaurus were not based on Burian's art, even though he has painted both animals, including the promotional paintings for this very film.

Note from me:Here's examples of Zdenek Burian's dinosaurs paintings.

I'm not all that impressed with these, but the two below are terrific!

~ The serialized version of this movie was shown on television children shows. The most famous being Garfield Goose and Friends (1952) would often show this version during its run in five minute increments. This was the version that began with the boys in the USA.

Note from me: This serialized version was also shown by an Atlanta TV station in the 1960s, and I discovered them one morning before going to school! As a life-long fan of stop motion, I was stunned and delighted.

I watched them each day until the completion of the serialized version, but I didn't find what they were from until much later.

~ At the Karel Zeman Museum in Prague, Czech Republic, there you can see how the FX were created and see some of the props used in this movie.

Note from me: We can only hope that somebody as done a professional photo study of the exhibit and we'll get to see it someday.

~ The US release version features newly-shot opening and closing sequences that were filmed at the Museum of Natural History in New York City. Four New York boys were cast because they vaguely resembled the Czech boys who starred in the original foreign version.

Note from me: This, I think, is the serialized version I saw each morning in the 1960s.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu May 07, 2020 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the Primeval World ride at Disneyland which I saw as a youngster. Instead of a boat you rode in the train that circled the park before going into the cavern. I loved dinosaurs, in particular the T-Rex, and the final scene of the Rex and Stegosaurus facing off while surrounded by lava flows just blew me away with excitement and wonder. The Family Goodtimes Theatre poster above reminds me very much of the scene depicted on the ride.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better version of what looks like the entire film was put up on YouTube in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eQehzEJyHg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: