ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last of the Secret Agents? (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: The Last of the Secret Agents? (1966) Reply with quote

_________

If you're in the mood for a silly secret agent spoof, you could do a lot worse than this air-headed comedy starring the funny-man team of Marty Allen and Steve Rossi as two goofy American tourist who get roped into espionage, intrigue, and a whirlwind adventure with cute-as-a-button Nancy Sinatra.

The good-guy spies work for an organization called G.G.I.— which stands for Good Guys, Incorporated).

The bad-guy spies work for T.H.E.M. — which doesn't stand for anything, just Them! Very Happy

The gimmick weapon is a hi-tech, multi-function umbrella. T.H.E.M. is out to steal the world's art treasures, including the Statue of Liberty (ambitious, to say the least).

Supporting cast includes Lou Jacobi, John Williams, Sig Rumann, Harvey Corman (in a small part as a German colonel), Ed Sullivan as Ed Sullivan, and the luscious Edy Williams. Directed by Norman Abbott.

Miss Sinatra sings the title theme. On year later she sang the theme for "You Only Live Twice". Listen to both songs below, with slides shows and lots of Miss Sinatra to look at. Then watch the funny trailer, narrator by the great Art Gilmore
Very Happy

_____________________ You Only Live Twice

__"The Last of the Secret Agents" - Nancy Sinatra

_____ The Last of the Secret Agents? (1966) trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 8 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite scene is the one on the train, where Allen and Rossi are held at gun point. Not exact, except for the last line.

Allen: If you fire that gun, the noise will attract the whole train.

Gunman: What noise? I have a silencer.

Allen: I'm not talking about the gun, I'm talking about me! I'll scream my guts out!

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the trailer on Youtube I was just itchin' to watch this one again. I haven't seen it since it first came out.

In the trailer the funniest scene is when a bad guy throws the sharp end of eight crowbars into the side of a wooden box that Allen is hiding in.

You think the poor guy is impaled repeatedly inside the box!

But when the camera pulls back and reveals the open back of the box, Allen is precariously positioned between all the crowbars, right down to the one between two of his fingers! Very Happy

I also noticed scenes in which Steve Rossi appears to be doing some pretty good comedy on his own -- leaping around in a series of comedic karate moves that showed he wasn't just the straight man of the team.

Dean Martin and Bud Abbott didn't do that very often.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not too picky about the picture quality of the movies you watch, here's the full video of this amusing spy spoof! Cool

It's in 4:3 and it's a bit sped up (making the running time to be four minutes less than the official 1:39), and this also causes the image to be jerky. I tried to watch it, but the jerkiness was annoying, so I think I'll wait until I can get a DVD that looks much better.

No official DVD is currently available. Sad

Just for the record, this is a funny comedy with Steve Rossi as a likable "Dean Martin" wannabe, and Marty Allen as a "Jerry Lewis" type who (in my opinion) is actually funnier! Very Happy

The alluring presence of Miss Nancy Sinatra (who sang the wonderful theme to You Only Live Twice) is a subtle tie-in to the Bond franchise — and it came one year BEFORE that famous Bond film!

Plus, she also sings the wonderful title theme to this crazy Bond spoof!

_____ The Last of the Secret Agents - Nancy Sinatra

___ The Last of the Secret Agents 1966 (Full Movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: