ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Navy vs the Night Monster (1966)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: The Navy vs the Night Monster (1966) Reply with quote

Lordy me, what a poster! It's got everything — gorgeous gals, half-eaten bodies, attacking jets, an A-bomb mushroom cloud, and the most beautifully rendered monster in any poster, ever, bar none.

And there's an army of monsters lined up to attack in the background! What a poster!

What a movie! It doesn't have any of that great stuff, and the film makers ought to be taken out and shot by a military firing squad, just to keep things legal.

And yet it's hard not to like a movie with such an outlandish plot and such an infamous cast.

Mamie Van Doren is scrumptious as the Navy nurse heroine. Anthony Eisely ("Journey to the Center of Time") is the hero. Popular song-and-dance man Bobby Van ("Kiss Me Kate") is comic relief. Billy Gray ("Father Knows Best", "The Day the Earth Stood Still") is one of the brave young sailors who battle the Night Monsters (invading plant-creatures from space, ala "The Thing").

The monsters resemble huge mobile weeds (ala "The Day of the Triffids") which have acid for blood (ala "Alien"). The setting is Antarctica (ala "The Thing" . . . sort of), but the climate is a warm and well-lit (ala a studio set).

If all this sounds silly enough to be fun, take heart, it is (but beware of several gory scenes). The film was released by a company called Realart (this is "real art"?). Directed by Michael Hoey.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:12 pm; edited 8 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that magnificent poster, I started wondering what the original painting looked like without all the text and without the sides clipped off — assuming there was a bit more on the sides, which seems likely.

I couldn't find a jpeg of the original artwork, so I took a jpeg of the DVD box art and went to work on it with Microsoft Paint, taking out the text and added in what I thought the original painting would have in those areas, as well as a bit of rendering on the left and right too.

Here's what I ended up with. The best part was finishing out the mushroom cloud and the arm of the woman in the lower right corner. Very Happy

Like I said earlier, lordy me, what a poster . . .

Original

Enhanced!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being a 10-year-old kid in 1966 and seeing this double-feature trailer for The Navy vs the Night Monsters and Women of the Prehistoric Planet!

You'd lay awake for hours every night fantasizing about the women and the monsters and the women and the spaceships and the women! Shocked

The second video below is the trailer for The Navy vs the Night Monsters, with the narraator giving it the hard sell in the best Tinseltown tradition! Very Happy

Double Feature Trailer for The Navy vs Night Monsters & Woman of the Prehistoric Planet!

___________ The Navy vs. the Night Monsters

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh... "...primitive passions unleashed..." Ooh...

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1966 my trips to drive-in theaters were NOT with my parents, and I'm quite sure that my date and I found ways to stay entertained during these two less-than-perfect movies. Wink

~ The Space Children (1958)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: