ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queen of Outer Space (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe Custer's picture wasn't working because his image hosting service (i.postimg.cc) changed their extension from org to cc a year or so ago, but whenever I find one that's stopped working I just change the old extension to new one, and that fixes it.

However, Custer's image above was in his Photobucket account, so I don't know why it isn't working now. Sad

I fixed it anyway by using Eadie's image url. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: A Fond Memory from late 1963 Reply with quote

First time I saw this one was in December of 1963. On a Friday afternoon, I had gone with my brother and a friend of his to Myrtle Beach, to the railroad depot to pick up a Christmas gift of a box of oranges from Florida.

We also stopped at the city library, where my brother's friend checked out a copy of Live and Let Die by Ian fleming.

And, Saturday night, on Out of This World, on WCIV-TV from Charleston, the film was QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE.

About all I remember was that the picture on a small portable BW TV set with Rabbit Ear reception was snowy, and the endless talk of the Evil Queen wanting to blow up the Earth with the Beta Disintegrator.

And, didn't some of the Space Babes of Venus say the word, "Bocchino?" a good bit?

Also, some grapes that had been left in the refrigerator had fermented, and I drank the squeezings, but dont think I got "high," altho the wine did taste OK.

I don't think it was until the 1970s that I got to see the film with good reception, and although still in BW, I had a much greater appreciation of the film, altho even by the 1970s, I was still not fully enlightened on the scan and pan technique of showing widescreen films on TV.

Not sure if I have ever seen it in color, or since the mid 1970s or not, but I do remember at that time, being disappointed in the Castle of Frankenstein TV movie reviewer calling the film, "sexist," my just seeing it as a lot of fun, a bit on the erotic side.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: I Had Forgotten . . . Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the opening title and credits of Queen of Outer Space not occurring until 15 mins into the film.

Robert Aldrich had a notorious reputation for doing way too long pre-credit sequences, The Flight of the Phoenix being probably the worst offense, the opening title/credits delayed until 1/2 hour of the running time.

Pre-credits sequences in films are OK, but I think in some cases they can become totally ridiculous, the James Bond films, starting with From Russia With Love, being especially annoying to me.

Dr. No was the best film in that series, since it had no pre-credits sequence, and I totally gave up on The Bonds after wasting my time on Diamonds are Forever.

If anyone here on the board has a diametrically opposed viewpoint on these films, I'd very much welcome reading what any dissenters might have to say.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once attended a talk by an SF author (I can't recall who it was), who was told when he was to write a movie script to avoid pre-credit scenes in movies. They were considered to be for TV shows, not movies.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, enjoy the Bond precredit scenes, and the greatest precredit scene in history (along with the greatest credits as well) is for Goldfinger.

They both knock my socks off every time! By gum, I think I'll watch my new Blu-ray of that movie and leave a comment in the Goldfinger thread! Cool

________ Goldfinger - 007 Pre-Title Sequence #3

Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I watched this movie I noticed that they had put stiffening wire in the Officers caps so they had a more formal look. Unlike FP which had no wire to resembel the WWII 50 mission "crush" cap. Bomber Pilots remove the stiffening wire so the headphones could be worn over their caps.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I Had Forgotten . . . Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
Robert Aldrich had a notorious reputation for doing way too long pre-credit sequences, The Flight of the Phoenix being probably the worst offense, the opening title/credits delayed until 1/2 hour of the running time.

I don't know where you got that information, but the opening credits of The Flight of the Phoenix start 9 minutes and 30 seconds into the picture.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we'll get an answer to your question, David, because filmdetective hasn't posted since July 2020. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: