ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Questor Tapes (1974 TV movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: The Questor Tapes (1974 TV movie) Reply with quote

Another unsold pilot from Gene Rodenberry, perhaps his best, an intelligent non-action story in which Robert Foxworth portrays an android who feels driven to solve the mystery of his missing creator's whereabouts and true identity, as well as the recovery of certain areas of his memory which have been inexplicably erased.

In a fascinating opening scene, the half-finished android completes his own facial and body features while alone in the laboratory. Then he goes to the research lab's library where he educates himself by scanning through a few thousand books.

Mike Farrell (MASH) is a sympathetic young scientist who accompanies the escaped android on his quest. Farrell serves as the android's advisor concerning the confusing subject of human behavior while the two flee from authorities, following elusive clues concerning the whereabouts of the android's creator, a man named Questor.

The final solution to the mystery is both interesting and typical of Rodenberry's optimistic vision of the future.

Foxworth's performance is admirable, effective, and consistent. His android character displays some remarkable similarities to Data of "Star Trek - The Next Generation".

The fine supporting cast includes some familiar faces: Lew Ayres ("Donovan's Brain"), Dana Wynter ("Invasion of the Body Snatchers"), Robert Douglas ("The Flame and the Arrow", "The Fountainhead", many others). Directed by Richard A. Colla.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:10 pm; edited 7 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQT is considered the finest of the GR TV-Pilots.

It would have made a fine sf series if GR had been allowed to produce it the way he wanted to do it.

Alas, the network got involved & wanted to turn Q into Richard Kimble & have him on the run each week from the evil government. The Mike Farrel character was eliminated.

Years later we did get to see Q, sort of, as Data on Star Trek:The Next Generation. The Q concept was resurrected & became Data.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to see this famous unsold pilot! Sad

I've never known it to have aired in my area on any channel — which doesn't mean it has not aired, just that I didn't know about it. Rolling Eyes

Amazon lists a half-dozen different DVDs, ranging in price from about $12.00 to $24.00. I should problem just buy one of them and stop whining about it. But I'm still not convinced that I'd like it, so I continue to procrastinate.

And whine . . . Confused

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you would find it entertaining, Bruce. It was well done for its time. I recall liking it very much and disappointed it was not picked up as a series.

The performances are all quite fine. Some of the visuals might date poorly.

This is still a workable idea by Roddenberry, and worthy of being revived. I love his Star Trek: TOS and its franchise spin-off TV series that have all come along.

However, I'd relish seeing The Questor Tapes & Genesis II getting rebooted for a change of pace, instead of yet another Trek iteration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: