ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Questor Tapes (1974 TV movie)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: The Questor Tapes (1974 TV movie) Reply with quote

This was an unsold pilot for a Gene Rodenberry project, but I've heard friends say it was pretty good. Robert Foxworth portrays an android who feels driven to solve the mystery of his missing creator's whereabouts and true identity, as well as the recovery of certain areas of his memory which have been inexplicably erased.

Anybody remember this one? Is it worth getting if i get the chance?

Bud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Bongopete
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen this in many many years......but I think the last time I DID see it, was disappointed. That might have been of course due to reseeing it at a time of so many better visual quality scifi series were on.

I watched this when it first came out and enjoyed it though.

Today, I am a bit tired of the stranger in a strange land scenario and the stranger being our salvation.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Questor. It was an intelligently done pilot & had great potential as a weekly show.

The Q concept was resurrected for Star Trek:TNG & became data. Data asked all the profound questions that Q asked. What does it mean to be human, what do we owe one another, & so forth?

So to reboot Q now would seem to me to simply be a rehash of 7-years worth of Data.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Roddenberry said in an interview that the network wanted to alter too much of Questor for a weekly series.

Firstly they wanted to eliminate Q's human companion.

Secondly they were going to turn it into a Fugitive-like premise with Q on the run from the government all the time.

GR was disgusted at these "improvements" & said that he would not produce the series had a network picked it up insisting on these plot devices.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Roddenberry had done Star Trek correctly... he would have had many Questor androids wearing 'red shirts' aboard the TOS Enterprise. But he chose to denigrate all such android creations in that series.

I'll take a serious "Questor", over a buffoonish "Data" - any day!

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Larry!

I'm still waiting to run across a good copy of this so I can finally watch it!

Stagevu had one, but the picture was bad, so I decided to wait. (* sigh *) Someday I'll get to see it.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Data was essentially Questor for seven seasons on ST:TNG I would prefer a reboot of the ST:TOS episode Assignment: Earth. This tv-pilot had a lot of potential.

It would cover the exact same ground as the Q premise: Save humankind from itself. However, we would now have a trained by aliens earth man as the lead.

And with the caliber if Special & Visual FX available today, as well as nifty gadgets, this would make for a fine new sf TV show.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music when they were going into the college campus buildings became the main theme for Kolchak: The Night Stalker (ABC September 13, 1974 — March 28, 1975) TV series.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
GeneRoddenberry said in an interview that the network wanted to alter too much of Questor for a weekly series.

Firstly they wanted to eliminate Q's human companion.

Secondly they were going to turn it into a Fugitive-like premise with Q on the run from the government all the time.

Oh brother, if we had a tribble for every time this happened with those network meddlers, there wouldn't a grain of quadrotriticale in the whole galaxy!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I've rarely...if ever...recall reading about the ''network suits'' interfering in the production of a sci-fi TV show & improving it.

The FOX executives ruined Sliders with their demands & changes to the show.

I've read that execs, in order to earn their pay & be promoted, figure they have to write up critiques of a TV series. Even if they really believe its unwarranted & the show is fine the way it is. These folks just want to keep their jobs.

The only way any TV series gets left alone is that they are a top hit in the ratings.

Anything else is fare game by the network.

Another sad reality are shows that are doing well but get cancelled anyway. This happens when a new regime sweeps into a network. They want to promote their own ideas & agendas for shows & get rid of the previous regime's TV series.

Incredibly, that can even apply to shows that are doing very well at the time. However, if the new regime had nothing to do with the current shows on & performing well, they have a target on 'em.

Irwin Allen's Time Tunnel (1966-'67) fell under the axe even though it was doing well in the ratings at the time.
ABC was intending to renew it & only cancelled the show at the very last minute.

An exec at ABC did a full court press for the show he wanted to get on the air which was the western "Custer."

He convinced the network that "Custer" had "big hit" written all over the show.

He then pointed out how expensive -- & it was-- that the TTT was to produce every week.

TTT was canned & "Custer" was on the ABC fall schedule for 1967 instead. The "big hit" lasted one season.

Last edited by Pow on Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Irwin Allen's Time Tunnel(1966-'67)fell under the axe even though it was doing well in the ratings at the time.

ABC was intending to renew it & only cancelled the show at the very last minute.

A exec at ABC did a full court press for the show he wanted to get on the air which was the western Custer.
He convinced the network that Custer had "big hit"written all over the show.

He then pointed out how expensive--& it was--that the TT was to produce every week.

TTT was canned & Custer was on the ABC fall schedule for 1967 instead.The "big hit"lasted one season.

Irwin Allen said in interviews, that "Time Tunnel" was canceled because they ran out of historical stock footage to use. Laughing

Shows do get canceled because the network wants another more costly show. "Almost Human" was canceled because the network wanted "Gotham", a more expensive show. The Stargate people said that they were responsible for the demise of "Farscape", because of how much the sci-fi channel had to pay for the Stargate show.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it must be nerve-racking to work in Hollywood! If your show is good, but the audience doesn't respond well to it, you get cancelled.

If your show is good, but the new regime wants to have something on which THEY can take credit for, your show gets cancelled.

If your show is good, but the powers-that-be want to axe it to funnel the budget money into a new show THEY favor . . . your show gets cancelled.

It's just like . . . well . . . Washington D.C.! Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that the head of CBS, Paley, did a massive purge once upon a time.

CBS was known as the "Tiffany Network" due to its high level, intelligent programs.

CBS was also the home to a bunch of TV shows with a small town, rural premise. They all had very good ratings.

Mayberry R.F.D., Green Acres, Petticoat Junction & The Beverley Hillbillies were all cancelled in one fell swoop.
Hogan's Heroes was caught up in this purge even though it was hardly a rural comedy.

The reasoning was that the demographics were not what the advertisers wanted. These shows played to an older audience.

The ad people always want the sacred 18-49 years of age viewers because they purchase more than the older viewers.

It won't matter if the show has terrific ratings & is well written. They're gone.

The other story was that Paley was embarrassed by these corny & unsophisticated TV shows.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I remember that the head of CBS, Paley, did a massive purge once upon a time.

CBS was known as the "Tiffany Network" due to its high level, intelligent programs.

CBS was also the home to a bunch of TV shows with a small town, rural premise. They all had very good ratings.

Mayberry R.F.D., Green Acres, Petticoat Junction & The Beverley Hillbillies were all cancelled in one fell swoop.
Hogan's Heroes was caught up in this purge even though it was hardy a rural comedy.

The reasoning was that the demographics were not what the advertisers wanted.These shows played to an older audience.

The ad people always want the sacred 18-49 years of age viewers because they purchase more than the older viewers.

It won't matter if the show has terrific ratings & is well written. They're gone.

The other story was that Paley was embarrassed by these corny & unsophisticated TV shows.

Yes, CBS was tired of it's rural image. One comment was that if it had a tree, it got canceled.

They also canceled the Red Skelton show, which was very popular. It really soured Mr. Skelton on TV for a time.

The shows may have been corney, but they sometimes had some sly humor. Most of these shows were done so that people could relax after a long day working. I don't watch sitcoms now, because I don't like the political and social indoctrination they stuff them with at the expense of the humor. Plus, I don't find them funny, the humor seems secondary, or vulgar.

Innuendo or outright vulgarity, does not make up for unfunny writing.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand Red's being upset with the cancellation of his TV show when it delivered strong ratings if not the demographics that CBS desired.

On the other hand, he had a 20-year run between the 2 networks he appeared on, fame & fortune. So he should have appreciated all that since few folks ever achieve these things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: