ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Luna - Loknar Class Frigate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: USS Luna - Loknar Class Frigate Reply with quote

This is my build of the USS Luna, a Loknar class frigate from The Motion Picture era of Star Trek. This is a 1/1000 scale resin kit put out by Multi-Verse Models under the USS Phobos name. The completed model is about 11 inches long. I selected this kit as my prize for winning first place in the Make It So model contest over on the All Scale Trek forum.
The Loknar design was created in the 1980s by FASA, but looks very similar to the NX class designed decades later for Star Trek: Enterprise.
The following is an excerpt from Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek Wiki, about this ship design:

STARSHIP CLASS: Loknar
Affiliation: Federation Starfleet
Dimensions
Length: 290 meters
Width: 127.1 meters
Height: 56 meters
Specifications
Decks: 11
Crew: 88
Speed: warp 7/9 (old scale)
Armaments: 4 twin-mount phaser banks
4 photon tubes
Defences: shields
Auxiliary craft: 2 shuttlecraft

The Loknar-class was a type of Federation starship, classified as a frigate, in Starfleet service in the 23rd century.
The five series of Loknar vessels were built at the beginning of a period of Federation expansion known to historians as "The Great Awakening". Although the era was defined by scientific research and exploratory ventures, numerous small warship classes were built, including the Loknar. These vessels were primarily designed by Andorians, who favored a doctrine of border protection for the young Federation.

When authorized by the Federation Appropriations Committee, the Loknars were constructed by Andorian shipbuilders in large numbers in shipyards at Mars and Salazaar, and introduced to service on reference stardate 1/9010 with the commissioning of the USS Loknar. All Loknar vessels were named for Federation colony provinces and cities, and many are crewed exclusively by Andorians, as part of the "Blue Fleet".

Over the course of the Four Years War, the Loknar became a staple of fleet action, and was upgraded several times from its original design. The first series weapon complement of heavy lasers and accelerator cannons were replaced by phasers and photon torpedoes, the standard starship weapons of the mid-23rd century era and beyond.

The Loknar remained in production until the late 23rd century, with older vessels continuously refit to newer standards.

The Luna was commissioned as a Mark IV vessel in Sept, 2275 and was refit to Mark V specs in June, 2278. She was the second ship to be refit after the USS Phobos.

Here are a few of the better photos; it's hard to choose though, this ship looks great from so many angles...

USS Luna by trekriffic, on Flickr

I have a lot more if anyone is interested. See my album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/72157650787823964

Last edited by trekriffic on Sat May 23, 2015 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handsome design and a beautiful build.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the double-hulled engineering section here better than the single one on the Constitution class ships. The Enterprise and her sister ships just look too spindly and breakable for my tastes.

This design seems more sturdy, as well as being more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Excellent work, Steve. I'll see to it that your Star Fleet service record includes a special mention about this! Very Happy
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the kind words.

Bud,

The split hull design with two secondary hull "pontoons" was geared towards redundancy in ship's systems.
Each half has it's own deflector dish, warp core, and impulse engine. Interestingly, there are also redundant arboretums located where you see the row of large blue windows near the front of each pontoon; not quite sure why arboretums would be considered so critical to redundancy but there they are.
The warp cores are connected thru the center photon torpedo launcher support so in the event one is disabled the other can take over and power both warp nacelles.

Here are some composite images showing the ship in action. I did these in MS Paint...

Luna 007 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Luna 011 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Luna 002 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Luna 019 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Luna 021 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Andor by trekriffic, on Flickr

Class N by trekriffic, on Flickr

Diplomatic Rendezvous by trekriffic, on Flickr

Shuttle Approach by trekriffic, on Flickr

Orion by trekriffic, on Flickr

Shuttle Launch by trekriffic, on Flickr

Birds-of-Prey by trekriffic, on Flickr

Slaver Chase by trekriffic, on Flickr

Cube by trekriffic, on Flickr

You can view the rest here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/72157653126945335

Last edited by trekriffic on Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 am; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gorgeous gallery of images. I definitely want one of these starships for Christmas! Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectacular!

WayneO
-----------
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Album created in imgur with 56 hi-res images:

http://imgur.com/a/ZXFvH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: