ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

War-Gods of the Deep (1965)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: War-Gods of the Deep (1965) Reply with quote

[Also released as: "The City in the Sea"]

From American Internation Pictures, the people who made many Vincent Price / Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, comes this Vincent Price / Jules Verne adaptation -- at least in spirit.

It's about a group of adventurers who set out from England in 1903 to rescue kidnapped Susan Hart. She's been snatched by the gillmen inhabitants of an undersea city.

Air is pumped down from the surface, and heat is provided by a submerged volcano. The city is inhabited by aquatic humans who were once normal sailors and fishermen before they adapted their bodies to life beneath the ocean.

Price is the eccentric Nemo-like ruler of the hidden city, and he's convinced that Miss Hart is the reincarnation of his dead wife. The rescuers from the surface world are Tab Hunter and David Tomlinson ("Mary Poppins", "The Love Bug", etc.), along with a pet rooster (ala Gertrude the duck from "Journey to the Center of the Earth").

Directed by Jacques Tourneur (his last film), with underwater photography directed by John Lamb, the man who wrote, produced, and directed "The Mermaids of Tiburon".

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:01 pm; edited 7 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this one, but the trailer makes it look pretty good!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't seen this one, but the trailer makes it look pretty good!

Then the trailer lies!

I worked with Tab Hunter back in the '70s and, while I didn't get to talk to him very much about his movies, I did at least mention this one day. Tab had little to say, just that it was "fun" and Vincent Price was "great." He didn't say much more than that and whatever little he did say I've long since forgotten.

The movie, she a bore.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I sure miss good old Rick around here. He only drops in occasionally, but when he does he certainly contributes some great anecdotal stories!

He seems to think that if he can't relate a great childhood memory or a personnel experience with a famous person, he can't post anything worthwhile on All Sci-Fi.

I wish he'd realized that just sharing his thoughts-of-the-moment with us (like I do) would be equally interesting.

Oh well . . . (* sigh * ) Rolling Eyes

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: War-Gods of the Deep (1965) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . The rescuers from the surface world are Tab Hunter and David Tomlinson ("Mary Poppins", "The Love Bug", etc.), along with a pet rooster (ala Gertrude the Goose from "Journey to the Center of the Earth").

Gertrude was a duck.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, scotpens. I corrected the initial post.

Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

________ War-Gods of the Deep (1965) - Trailer

This takes place in the late 19th century and begins at a cliff house in Cornwall, but then descends into some secret, hidden caverns underneath, where dwell the crew of a long lost ship from over 100 years ago.

Over 100 years ago? Are they ghosts?

That's a good guess, but this is closer to a sci-fi concept of expanded lifespans and preservation. The visitors to this underground labyrinth are Tab Hunter, comic relief David Tomlinson with his pet chicken, and Susan Hart, who was kidnapped by a fishman. Hunter plays her boyfriend, so he naturally follows to the rescue.

The ship's captain is played by Vincent Price. He and his men have remained ageless due to something in the air down in these caverns.

___
___

This tried to jump onto the popular Jules Verne-styled money train which began with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (54), but it's quite tedious. It includes a lot of concepts which we're accustomed to seeing in such fare, such as lost civilizations and a lot of underwater action, but it's thrown together haphazardly and is very slow in parts.

Apparently this was rewritten severely just before filming began, throwing in a lot of attempted humor with Tomlinson's character — maybe this was to offset the slow pace that had been noted. Price hams it up as was usual for him, but his character tends to drone on endlessly in this one.

BoG's Score: 4 out of 10

__________PMB Reviews War Gods Of The Deep

Trivia Under the Sea: The City Under the Sea was the British title; for the American release, it was changed to War-Gods of the Deep.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that footage of the Mermen from this movie was used in the movie "Space Probe Taurus".

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this well-made eight-minute documentary about this movie.

__________ The Fantastic Films of Vincent Price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: