ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

War of the Satellites (1958)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: War of the Satellites (1958) Reply with quote

_______

If you think this movie has anything like what's shown in this poster, perhaps I could interest you in buying a historic structure in New York that crosses a river. Very Happy

No?

Well, Roger Corman had better luck when he promised Allied Artist he could make a film in two months that would cash in on all the cosmic publicity caused by the launching of the first two satellites to orbit the Earth: Russia's Sputnik and America's Explorer.

With a shooting schedule of just over two weeks, Corman cranked out this minor effort.

Richard Devon stars as the scientist in charge of a United Nations project to orbit a manned spacecraft. Alien forces (who never appear on screen) oppose the project, and they create an invisible force field to block any attempts. They warn mankind that Earth will be destroyed if we don't stay on our own planet.

Devon dies in an auto accident, but an invisible alien possesses his body and uses it to sabotage the manned mission. When the rocket is launched, Devon tries to steer it into the force field, but the astronauts thwart him.

Dick Miller and Susan Cabot are the hero and heroine. The alien falls in love with Susan, and these unwanted emotions spell doom for the aliens' plan to destroy us.

Wow . . . it's true what they say. "Women . . . can't live WITHOUT 'em, and can't conquer worlds WITH 'em!"

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again — bad movies make good trailers (just like they make good posters).

Dig this one, guys. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: War of the Satellites (1958) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
... perhaps I could interest you in buying a historic structure in New York that crosses a river. Very Happy

No?

Trivia; WHY this scheme is popular is because the crooks aren't breaking the law.

What they are selling is their INTEREST in the bridge.

Which is exactly - - - - - NOTHING!

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of us had this lounger?

The actors and crew thought the couches were worth it. They were also vibrating massage recliners, the first on the market!
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those same loungers were used on Rocky Jones's Orbit Jet in the passenger area for Bobby, Vena and the Professor.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a duplicate thread for this movie that had to be deleted, Krel made this amusing comment.
Cool

Krel wrote:
Those recliners were probably the biggest expense in movie. Laughing

David

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the plot synopsis for this movie on Wikipedia and it is a hoot! Laughing

Here's a few highlights (not strictly quoted), along with comments from me.

~ Members of the United Nations space program are dismayed by the inexplicable annihilation of a manned spacecraft. The spacecraft was the tenth in the Sigma Project to be destroyed after coming into contact with a mysterious space barrier.

Note from me: Great beginning. Sounds interesting . . . unless the plot gets all wacky and illogical. But hey, Roger Corman made this (in just eight weeks), so what could go wrong? Very Happy

~ A young teenage couple witness the landing of a small missile-like object, which they turn over to authorities. A message from the capsule proclaims to be from the Masters of the Spiral Nebula Ghana (aka The Drama Queens of Outer Space), aliens who are displeased by Earth's repeated attempts to explore the universe.

Note from me: Uh-oh. What kind of aliens would send a message to Earth in a capsule that lands in a random spot? ("Ah, don't worry! Smooching teenager will be close by.")

~ While driving to a U.N. meeting, an official with the space program (Dr. Van Ponder) is attacked by a mysterious ball of light which drives him off the road. Aliens then assume the form of Van Ponder to infiltrate the project.

Note from me: Curious. The "Master of the Spiral Nebula Ghana" put a force field around Earth, but they need a spy to stop the space program? Why are they worried? Confused

~ Later, we see Van Ponder split into two separate replicas so he can extend his ability to impede the Sigma space missions.

Note from me: Ah, now we know what the aliens are the true "masters" of. Multitasking! Very Happy

~ The crew of the next mission launch into space, with Van Ponder among the crew, but crewman David (good old Dick Miller), tells the ship's doctor to examine Van Ponder to see if he's an alien. Van Ponder learns about the examination and (get this) grows a heart so that the doctor won't find out he doesn't have one!

Note from me: I know what your thinking, guys. The Tin Man, right? Hold that thought while you read this next part. Wink

~ After growing a heart, Van Ponder is surprised when he suddenly gets the hots for female crew member, Sybil (Susan Cabot, the lovely lady from [/i]The Wasp Woman[/i]).

Note from me: Right, everybody knows that heartless aliens don't get romantic. But once they grow an organ that pumps blood, they can hardly wait for Valentines Day! Wink

~ Crewman David warns Hot Space Babe Sybil that Van Ponder is an alien who can replicate himself. She hides in the "Solar Radiation Room", but Van Ponder finds her and replicates himself so that one version can go after David while he other one tries to seduce Sybil.

Note from me: I wonder if the two Van Ponders argued over which one got the fun job?

"I'll stay here with Sybil, you go after David." — "Like hell I will! You got to stay with the girl the LAST time!" — "Oh. Okay. Let's flip for it.'

~ David and the Van Ponder who lost the toss get into a fight, and David kills him with a shot gun. When he dies, the one that's getting frisky with Sybil dies, too.

Note from me: Naturally they had a shot on board, because they were going out to fight aliens. Hey, don't laugh! It WORKED didn't it? Shocked

~ David orders the spacecraft to detonate a radiation blast which will (hopefully) get them through the alien's barrier. Then David rescues Sybil from the radiation room just before the blast. David's plan succeeds (making him 2 for 2) and the Sigma spacecraft reports to Earth control that the universe in mankind's new frontier!

Note from me: Yes, indeed they know the aliens can be killed with shotguns, and they have Sybil to help "divide and conquor" these alien varmints.

Here's the trailer below, and the full movie right below that.

Like . . . dig it man!
__

___________War of the Satellites (Trailer 1958)

_ Roger Corman Theater 1958 War of the Satellites

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

______________ War Of The Satellites - Trailer

Trying to capitalize on the same year's Sputnik launch, this is a Roger Corman quickie attempts to mask this defect with an involved plot. But ends up as slightly confusing and meandering.

Satellites are being destroyed — probably by alien forces. The scientist in charge (Richard Devon) is on his way to a meeting at the U.N. building when his car crashes and he seems to be killed (again, due to alien forces).

However, he shows up at the U.N. anyway — it's obvious (to the audience, not to any of the other characters) that this is not really the human scientist anymore, but an alien. Typically, he no longer expresses much emotion and, more alarmingly, he doesn't notice when his hand begins to burn due to a blowtorch. He can also divide into two identical beings.

Soon a 3-ship mission is launched into space. Among the crew are the two main characters played by Dick Miller and Susan Cabot. Miller's character is suspicious of the masquerading alien, but Cabot's can't be convinced. The alien soon begins to dispose of the crew, starting with the guy who had witnessed his hand being burned.

Obviously the title of this film doesn't make any sense. These aren't satellites, they're ordinary spaceships. There's no war among them, such as a conflict between American and Soviet forces, just a vague alien threat.

Miller is in a rare lead heroic role here; usually, he's support or playing an annoying loudmouth. Cabot is fine, and Devon is creepy.

Corman makes the most of almost nothing — a single arch & short corridor is used for most of the ship scenes, with characters running through the same set over & over.

BoG's Score: 4 out of 10

____________________ War of the Satellites

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Mon May 20, 2019 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoG was a bit rougher on this one than some of the other movies he's reviewed which weren't particularly good. He didn't try to look for the gold among the dross the way the did with Queen of Outer Space, but I don't blame him, because this movie doesn't offer much to praise.

It just doesn't give me the same good feeling that some of the other low budget movies do. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: