ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A*P*E (1976 South Korea)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: A*P*E (1976 South Korea) Reply with quote

A cash-in on the 1976 King Kong version. The Kong film came out during the X-Mas season in '76; this quickie came out a couple of months before.

You know what you're in for with the very first scene, in which a ship is represented by a small toy boat bobbing in the water. The story is a rough redraft of the Kong legend.

The ship has a 36-foot ape in the ship's hold, already captured. But the giant ape breaks free, the ship explodes (more amateurish pyrotechnics), and the huge primate starts to prowl the land. Eventually, the ape crosses paths with an actress (Joanna Kerns, later famous for her regular role on TV's Growing Pains) who is filming a movie in the area. He grabs her and is soon attacked by the army.

The embarrassing moments are too numerous to go into here, but we can start with the ape suit itself, a mockery of what a gorilla suit should be. We are afforded at least one peek of the actor underneath in one of the close-up shots, when the ape head shifts away from the body suit.

The story periodically shifts to an army colonel (Alex Nicol) in his office, who disbelieves reports of a huge ape.

There was barely any money for the FX, which explains the shoddy look of the miniatures, but it didn't stop the filmmakers from presenting a lengthy climactic battle with the army, in which the unconvincing toy models of tanks and hurled boulders are shown over & over, all of it having the look of being shot in a backyard by some kids.

There is one sequence when the ape slowly rampages through a city and the roughly 1/6 scale buildings are acceptable. Also, there is some charm and amusement sprinkled throughout, notably the scenes of the movie within the movie being filmed.

____________ A*P*E (1976) ORIGINAL TRAILER

BoG's Score: 2 out of 10

Ape Trivia: A*P*E stood for Attacking Primate MonstEr and was to spoof the acronym title of M*A*S*H, a show that was based in Korea where this film was produced. Joanna Kerns was credited using her original name, Joanna de Varona.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Happy Day! YouTube has a nice copy of A*P*E! Very Happy

And don't deny yourself the pleasure of watching the trailer in BoG's post above. It has the most amateurish narrator in the history of trailers!

The poster, however, is a masterpiece! How could you go wrong with a movie about a huge gorilla that simultaneously battles a monster snake, a giant shark, while a brave man is hanging from a ladder beneath a helicopter!

And why, you may ask, is that man dangling dangerously from the ladder, perilously close to that hideous reptile? Shocked

The answer, my friends, is that he's risking life-and-limb to rescue the fair maiden who is perched so precariously on the shoulder of the monster . . . wearing fashionable white high heels and a pretty pink dress (ripped open in back) while she poses seductively and cheers on her hero!

Guys, the artist who did this poster is brilliant . . . Cool

_____________________________ A*P*E (1976)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat May 06, 2023 6:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Krel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
That poster is a masterpiece, too. How could you go wrong with a movie about a huge gorilla that simultaneously battles a monster snake, a giant shark, and a brave man hanging from a ladder beneath a helicopter!

Bud, you left out, "while perched on top of a sinking ocean liner!"

And the way those smokestacks look, I'm pretty sure the liner is on fire too!

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Bud, you left out, "while perched on top of a sinking ocean liner!"

And the way those smokestacks look, I'm pretty sure the liner is on fire too!.

Well, yeah, but I thought that being perched on top of a burning ocean liner was much less realistic than simply holding a giant snake in one hand and a giant shark in the other while balancing one of the Kardashian girls on his shoulder.

So, I didn't mention it because I didn't want anybody to think the poster was too outrageous, ya know?
Confused
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of outrageous posters, I'm putting this one here because I have no clue as to where else I could put it. Not a poster for an actual movie, but one done for a art contest. It didn't win because it was considered political.

Featuring Dan Evans poster for "TALIBANNOSAURUS REX". I really wish this was a real movie.

He put a deliberate mistake in the poster, look for it.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: