ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World Without End (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Let's watch this movie again in the Chatzy room soon!!!

And....YES! You look like a perfect couple! A classic example of "The Beauty And The Beast".

Ah, shuck . . . I ain't THAT good lookin'! And I think Nancy looks pretty good, too! Very Happy

Hey, I'd love to watch this movie, but first let's watch My Science Project with Phantom tomorrow at 6:30!

We hope you can make it! Cool

_________________ My Science Project 1985

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read pages 2 and 3 of this great thread, I love the ideas you guys presented!

Bravo! Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds first sought Sterling Hayden and then Frank Lovejoy for the lead. Producer Richard V. Heermance eventually hired Hugh Marlowe, who asked for only a quarter of the other actors' salaries. According to Bernds, Marlowe was often lazy and unprepared.

Note from me: I like Hugh Marlow, and his character is very appealing in this movie. I can't quite picture Sterling Hayden or Frank Lovejoy in the role.

~ This film was produced directly by Allied Artists (formerly Monogram Pictures). It was made in hopes of shedding Monogram's "poverty row" image.

It was given a larger budget, shot in color and CinemaScope and ran a full reel longer than their usual 60- to 70-minute running time common to "B" pictures. Allied Artists was able to book it under percentage contracts rather than flat rates.

Note from me: I love this movie. I just wish we'd gotten matte shots of the underground complex, something like these (but not quite as expansive

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds disagreed with first-time producer Richard V. Heermance's budget-saving practices, especially the economically filmed final scene.

Note from me: Ironically the final scene, which shows the underground people mixing with the normal people from the mutant tribe (and all their children) has always moved me. Very Happy

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds disagreed with first-time producer Richard V. Heermance's budget-saving practices, especially the economically filmed final scene.

Note from me: I've scene both movies many times, and I've never spotted any shots from Flight to Mars in this movie. Even the crash landing in the snow which the rocket made in both movie were significantly different.

~ Just four years later, one of this film's stars, Rod Taylor, would star in George Pal's The Time Machine (1960). Based on the novel by H.G. Wells, this film would be Rod's second foray through time in his career.

Note from me: Come to think of it, the two movies would make great double features!

~ In this film, Rod Taylor still retains traces and phrases from his Australian background. By the time he filmed "The Time Machine", just a few years later, he'd lost all vestiges of his home country.

Note from me: Ironically, the first time I saw World Without End in 1980s on a VHS tape I wondered why Rod was trying to speak with an unconvincing British accent! Confused

~ Although the films had nothing in common except time travel, the H.G. Wells estate sued the producers for plagiarism, citing similarities to Wells' novel "The Time Machine". Ironically, the producers of the film made from that story, The Time Machine (1960), used Rod Taylor, who starred in this film.

Note from me: This seems bogus. How could the Wells' relatives think this movie bore ANY resemblance to H.G.'s novel.

~ Renowned illustrator Reynold Brown did the poster art.

Note from me: This poster is one of seven which decorated the walls of my room in the 1960s.

_____

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds reused the motorized spiders in Queen of Outer Space (1958) and Valley of the Dragons (1961).

Note from me: This isn't quite accurate. The spider was certainly NOT motorized! It's a big, stuffed, ridiculous prop that had to thrown down onto the actors, who then struggled with it unconvincingly while they tried to keep for laughing . . . Rolling Eyes

~ Released on a double bill with Indestructible Man (1956).

Note from me: I wish I'd seen this double feature at the Roosevelt Drive-In which my parents took my sister and me to in the later 1950s.

But the only sci-fi movie I remember seeing there in 1956 was the double feature of Earth vs the Flying Saucers and The Werewolf.

Ironically, that drive-in was the site of a famous UFO incident in 1956. Fortunately the drive-in's owner snapped this remarkable photo! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
17 Oaks
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favs in SciFi, great movie done right and more babes too. But a HARD movie to find, lots of trailers, but the movie itself not even a 'rent or buy' on line.

I keep looking.
Phantom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: World Without End Reply with quote

17 Oaks,

You can find the movie on Warner Bros DVD, along with Satellite in the Sky, a minor but interesting sci-fi romp from 1956. It's in color (a real surprise) and stars Shakespearean actor Sir Donald Wolfit.

I saw World Without End in '56, then not again until dvd. Not a particular favorite of mine, but good enough to collect.

Hope you can find a copy (if it is still in circulation).

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 Oaks wrote:
One of my favs in SciFi, great movie done right and more babes too. But a HARD movie to find, lots of trailers, but the movie itself not even a 'rent or buy' on line.

Hard to find? Good Lord, no! Shocked

Click here, order it from Amazon, and have it on your doorstep in a few days!

Hell, let IT find YOU!
Cool

World Without End (1956) [Blu-ray]

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds first sought Sterling Hayden and then Frank Lovejoy for the lead. Producer Richard V. Heermance eventually hired Hugh Marlowe, who asked for only a quarter of the other actors' salaries. According to Bernds, Marlowe was often lazy and unprepared.

Note from me: I like Hugh Marlow, and his character is very appealing in this movie. I can't quite picture Sterling Hayden or Frank Lovejoy in the role.

~ This film was produced directly by Allied Artists (formerly Monogram Pictures). It was made in hopes of shedding Monogram's "poverty row" image.

It was given a larger budget, shot in color and CinemaScope and ran a full reel longer than their usual 60- to 70-minute running time common to "B" pictures. Allied Artists was able to book it under percentage contracts rather than flat rates.

Note from me: I love this movie. I just wish we'd gotten matte shots of the underground complex, something like these (but not quite as expansive

Note from me: Ironically the final scene, which shows the underground people mixing with the normal people from the mutant tribe (and all their children) has always moved me. Very Happy

Note from me: I've scene both movies many times, and I've never spotted any shots from Flight to Mars in this movie. Even the crash landing in the snow which the rocket made in both movie were significantly different.

~ Just four years later, one of this film's stars, Rod Taylor, would star in George Pal's The Time Machine (1960). Based on the novel by H.G. Wells, this film would be Rod's second foray through time in his career.

Note from me: Come to think of it, the two movies would make great double features!

~ In this film, Rod Taylor still retains traces and phrases from his Australian background. By the time he filmed "The Time Machine", just a few years later, he'd lost all vestiges of his home country.

Note from me: Ironically, the first time I saw World Without End in 1980s on a VHS tape I wondered why Rod was trying to speak with an unconvincing British accent! Confused

~ Although the films had nothing in common except time travel, the H.G. Wells estate sued the producers for plagiarism, citing similarities to Wells' novel "The Time Machine". Ironically, the producers of the film made from that story, The Time Machine (1960), used Rod Taylor, who starred in this film.

Note from me: This seems bogus. How could the Wells' relatives think this movie bore ANY resemblance to H.G.'s novel.

~ Renowned illustrator Reynold Brown did the poster art.

Note from me: This poster is one of seven which decorated the walls of my room in the 1960s.

_____

~ Writer/director Edward Bernds reused the motorized spiders in Queen of Outer Space (1958) and Valley of the Dragons (1961).

Note from me: This isn't quite accurate. The spider was certainly NOT motorized! It's a big, stuffed, ridiculous prop that had to thrown down onto the actors, who then struggled with it unconvincingly while they tried to keep for laughing . . . Rolling Eyes

~ Released on a double bill with Indestructible Man (1956).

Note from me: I wish I'd seen this double feature at the Roosevelt Drive-In which my parents took my sister and me to in the later 1950s.

But the only sci-fi movie I remember seeing there in 1956 was the double feature of Earth vs the Flying Saucers and The Werewolf.

Ironically, that drive-in was the site of a famous UFO incident in 1956. Fortunately the drive-in's owner snapped this remarkable photo! Shocked

Rick3
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
The fact that Hitchkock featured him in TWO films (THE BIRDS and MARNIE) and the fact that he did them so well proves his talent as an actor..

Actually, Hitchcock only used Taylor once, in THE BIRDS. Might you be thinking of Sean Connery?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum, Rick, you're right! I've never scene Marnie, but I knew darn well that it starred Connery not Taylor. Embarassed

Please feel free to let me know when I make a goof like that one. Ditto for any opinion I express that you disagree with. I created this board to exchange both information AND opinions, and I LOVE a spirited debates — even when I ! Shocked)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: