ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return from Witch Mountain (1978)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Return from Witch Mountain (1978) Reply with quote

The poster is probably not right for this film — it makes this look like a dark horror movie, which it most definitely is not.

This one is less comedic than "The Cat from Outer Space", but it sill has the light touch of the Disney movies from this era. The result is a less-than-satisfying film which isn't quite light enough to be funny, not dark enough to be serious, not smart enough to be clever and original, and not dumb enough to provide something to laugh at (rather than with).

Veterans Bette Davis and Christopher Lee don't exactly shine in their rolls, and the rest of the cast is comprised of faces you know you've often seen before, but with names that just don't ring a bell. And if you tried to watch this sequel without watching (and liking) "Escape to Witch Mountain", you'd spend most of the time with your head cocked slightly to one side, wondering why so much of the story was confusing.

On a positive note, the "practical effects" (meaning physical special effects, not CGI) do an impressive job of depicting the young aliens' telekinetic powers — including one scene in which a bus is lifted quickly enough for a speeding car to drive under it.

A made-for-television sequel called "Beyond Witch Mountain" was made in 1982.

Watch the trailer from DailyMotion at this link. If I've talked you out of watching the movie, this one just might talk you right back into it.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
MetroPolly
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this. I was never a fan, but it still stands out as my first sighting of Sir Lee. I dunno, this film never really clicked for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: