ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robot Jox (1990)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Robot Jox (1990) Reply with quote

This is one fine little movie, and it's a shame that Empire International Pictures went bankrupt during the production. Otherwise we might have had a few sequels.

However, it is marred by serious creative difference between screenwriter Joe Haldeman and director Joe Gordon, Haldeman tried to make the story more serious and scientifically accurate, but Gordon had other ideas.

Gordon later realized that Haldemen was "writing a movie for adults that children can enjoy", while Gordon had been "directing a movie for children that adults can enjoy."

David Allen created the fine (but few) stop motion scenes, and the music by Frédéric Talgorn is a real plus.

Robot Jox is the perfect second feature for Empire Pictures equally enjoyable sci-fi film from 1989, "Arena". However, even though "Robot Jox" is available on DVD and Blu-ray, "Arena" is still only available on (dare I say it?) VHS tape.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:59 am; edited 9 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Allen used to say that he was responsible for the demise of Empire International. Laughing He and his crew would film the effects out in the desert, so he could use the light, and real backgrounds. He would film until Empire ran out of money, come back in, then go back out when Empire got more money. This took several years.

One of the movies that has no sound in the space scene.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
One of the movies that has no sound in the space scene.

Gee, all this time I thought that because they were being scientifically accurate. Turns out they just couldn't afford sounds! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Gee, all this time I thought that because they were being scientifically accurate. Turns out they just couldn't afford sounds! Very Happy

They had to do without the sound, so they could afford the music for the scene. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD of this movie is highly recommended.

I was surprised today when I saw that this thread didn't have any of the nice screen shots I made for the thread we lost when the 2007-2014 version of All Sci-Fi ceased to exist.

I'll save them for a future post. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that they didn't listen to screen writer Joe Haldeman. He's the author of the Hugo winning novel THE FOREVER WAR, a marvelous military space war story in the tradition of Heinlien's STARSHIP TROOPERS.

If you haven't read it yet pick it up! If you have read it....read it again!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

The premise of this low-budget by enjoyable movie is that mankind has found a way to settle international disputes which is better than World Wars, but still not better than peaceful negotiations between nations.

Okay . . . let's at least give 'em credit for that. Rolling Eyes

But what if mankind suddenly found itself faced with common foe and had to put its own petty differences aside? What if alien invaders threatened Earth!

~ A Question for the Members: Would mankind be able to band together because of this new and terrible threat and combine our global technology so we could create an army of giant human-piloted robots to battle this alien invasion?

~ My Theory: Well, duh! Check out Pacific Rim if you doubt it! Rolling Eyes

Despite the fact that the concept has been done beautifully in the recent films about the Kaiju, I love the idea of a movie which depicts an army of human-made Robot Jox, standing in formation for miles and miles, all the way to the horizon — ready to launch against alien invades, both on the ground, in the air, and in outer space!

The idea that mankind has stopped using their robots to battle each other and has united to defeat the aliens would be terrific!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the movie. I'm a big fan of the Mechwarrior pc game. Currently playing the latest version 5. Also have 3d printed several Mechs.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy

The fact that we now have devices which can produce things like that is plumb flabbergasting! Damn, I LOVE living in the future! The present was kinda boring by comparison.

For example, here's what TVs looked like when I was growing up. Sad

But here's what they look like now.

I rest my case. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you, technology today affords lots of opportunities especially for the RC enthusiast. I made a nautilus submarine using solid-state relays and the entire sub works completely off of bilge pumps.

Also, I am still amazed that the technology to make a drone is available to the public. The heart of the drone system is what they call the controller, it contains an accelerometer, a barometer, and gyroscope, GPS and probably other things as well but it allows complete control of the drone.

Also, the motors are what they call brushless so the motors do not make any video interference because of sparking from the brushes. The motors are basically little AC motors controlled by an ESC (electronic speed control). I’ve been making drones for a while and have a few videos.

This was more of a pilot training exercise, but it does show the versatility of what you can put together for an inexpensive drone. However, it’s not easy to put one together unless your electronically adept to some degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h12wQ3Aqyr4
The Jet Nautilus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCufoUFWfs
Drone, heavy lift with 2 cameras.

https://vimeo.com/447798191

This is another test video. I’m using two cameras on the falcon heavy lift drone and I wanted to compose a video using the two camera views.

I know that the top camera needs to be mounted higher at least above the props. So, this is my experimental video using two cameras on my latest heavy lift hexacopter. I’m still waiting to get OSD, a Skylark tiny OSD. But nobody seems to carry one, so I ordered it from Skylark in China. It takes forever.

Also, have worked on Robosapien V2 which all have a problem with bad wires creating shorts etc. Sometimes if the two main circuit boards are intact bad wires can be replaced and make the robot functional.

https://vimeo.com/442734227
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm certainly impressed with your 21st Century abilities, but I have to confess that you sort of lost me at — "Yes, I agree with you . . . " Shocked

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We now have devices which can produce things like that is plumb flabbergasting"

Yes I agree, all kinds of new and exciting "things" that now we can use for fun etc. A few years ago, no such thing as a drone. Now they're everywhere. Hand tools now are battery operated, cordless etc. Lots of new stuff.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still a favorite movie of mine, and I highly recommend it.

___________ Robot Jox Official Trailer #1 (1989)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that films showing all of humankind banding together to defeat a common foe can have thrilling moments, Bud.

However, after seeing how many Americans have chosen not to sanely respond to the pandemic, I find myself in serious doubt as to whether our planet would really unite against any alien invasion force.

We are too selfish and too divisive a species. We don't really want to look out for our fellow brothers or sisters.

And we refuse to be even slightly inconvenienced for our own good or the welfare of others.

Power and $$$ are our driving forces and Heaven help anyone who gets in the way.

Sadly, there could be a film or TV show about just such a response.

No, not like we see in movies such as "Independence Day,'' but a darker and tragic movie.

Aliens invade the Earth and humanity must fight battles on two fronts. The aliens of course, but also humans fighting one another.

Humans that welcome the aliens, humans that think we should expire as a species because we are evil, humans attempting to make deals with the aliens in order to survive and thrive, nations that refuse to fight hoping they'll somehow get by.

That would be the plot of my film...and I believe, it would be far more realistic than ID. Heartbreaking but true.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Aliens invade the Earth and humanity must fight battles on two fronts. The aliens of course, but also humans fighting one another.

Humans that welcome the aliens, humans that think we should expire as a species because we are evil, humans attempting to make deals with the aliens in order to survive and thrive, nations that refuse to fight hoping they'll somehow get by.

I agree with, Mike, that America's actions during the pandemic have been shameful, and now our country is suffering more than any other country in world.

Concerning your idea for a movie where mankind does NOT unit against a common foe, the TV series V had elements of that, inspired by the tragic way Nazi Germany was corrupted by the Hitler regime.

And now we've got a president who delights in holding huge rallies so his loyal supporters can laugh at his jokes, cheer his insults to political opponents, boo when he mentions that scientist disagree with him, and foolishly believe his crap about how we've "turned the corner" on the pandemic.

Mike, I agree that, "we are too selfish and too divisive a species."
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: