ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Thirteenth Floor (1999)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: The Thirteenth Floor (1999) Reply with quote

The 2nd 'virtual reality' thriller of the year (following The Matrix), this did not enjoy a fraction of the former's success, probably due to a lack of stars and poor marketing.

The main character, Douglas Hall, is played by Craig Bierko, who never became a big star, while Vincent D'Onofrio has a good supporting role.

The concept is great. What if we create an alternate reality through our use of computers and all the 'inhabitants' of this computer-reality, despite being just bits of data, consider themselves as real & valid as us?

It all goes back to that old saying: I think; therefore, I am.

This idea is then refurbished halfway through with a surprise revelation (though experienced film-goers will guess this about a third of the way in). But, somehow, the exciting ideas are not translated well through the story. There is a hum-drum monotonous tone throughout and most of the actors kind of sleepwalk through their roles (Gretchen Mol, especially, is completely lacking in any screen presence). Armin Mueller-Stahl appears as the originator of the technology.

The filmmakers also fail to fully develop the repercussions of these tantalizing, even mind-blowing concepts. After all, this all seems to point to some very dangerous aspects, philosophically, of our ever-growing technology. The dangerous potential is glossed over in the end, as if prepping for a sequel, which looks doubtful now.

BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just struggled through the detailed summary for this movie on Wikipedia and I've never heard a more muddled and illogical premise in my life! I don't have the slightest urge to watch this wacky movie. What The Matrix does beautifully, this movie apparently screws up royally! Rolling Eyes

I guess that's why I've never seen this movie on TV, and Netflix doesn't carry it. This film is a prime example of the strange habit Hollywood has of sinking millions of dollars into a rotten story ($16 million in this case), and then wondering why they couldn't even cover the cost of the damn thing! Sad

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has only one interesting trivia item for this production. Very Happy

~ One of two major motion pictures released in 1999 about a futuristic simulation whose inhabitants believe they're in the real world. The other was The Matrix, which hit theatres a month earlier and made a slightly larger impression on audiences.

Note from me: I think the gentlemen demonstrating sarcasm. A slightly larger impression? Yeah, right. Rolling Eyes

Here's what Bogmeister had to say about it in his post above.

Bogmeister wrote:
The 2nd 'virtual reality' thriller of the year (following The Matrix), this did not enjoy a fraction of the former's success, probably due to a lack of stars and poor marketing.

The concept is great. What if we create an alternate reality through our use of computers and all the 'inhabitants' of this computer-reality, despite being just bits of data, consider themselves as real & valid as us?

Well, different strokes for different blokes, as they say in England. Very Happy

______________ The Thirteenth Floor (Trailer)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't seen this move.

I wish someone one All Sci-Fi would either recommend it or warn me to avoid it. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: