ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Invaders (1983)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Strange Invaders (1983) Reply with quote

Director Michael Laughlin made this as a tribute to the sci-fi films of the 1950s like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers", but it just doesn't have a very polished look, and the film performed poorly at the box office.

Paul La Mante ("American Graffiti") and Nancy Allen ("1941", "Dressed to Kills") confront alien invaders who took over a small town twenty-five years earlier in 1958 and did something bizarre with the inhabitants.

The story is imaginative, but the poor direction defeats the effort.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the trailer for this movie if you still need more convincing to give it a look. Very Happy

_____________ Strange Invaders (1983) Trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 15 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Second part of an incomplete trilogy, known as the "Strange Trilogy", by writer-director Michael Laughlin. The first part had been Strange Behavior (1981).

Note from me: I looked up Strange Trilogy to see if we should have a thread for it, but it's listed as a horror film, so I guess not.

~ The movie is a homage to the the golden age of science fiction films of the 1950s particularly Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) and I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958).

Note from me: Knowing this before I watched a rented tape of this movie on a special "movie night" with a group friends in the 1980s, I had high expectations. Unfortunately the movie was a big disappointment. The story was confusing and forgettable, the photography was poor, and the acting was unremarkable. Sad

But I did have a good time that evening, because this movie was part of a triple feature, and with the help of my friend and fellow artist, Jim Peavy — the guy wearing the yellow Georgia Fine Arts Academy T-shirt (click on his name to see Jim's artwork) — we created a cardboard marquee to go over the old steel awning above the front door of the small house I owned in those days! Cool

Yes, I know . . . I spelled Paramount wrong. The Typo King of All Sci-Fi was alive and well, even back in the 1980s . . . Rolling Eyes

~ Two stars from the cult classic sci-fi series Lost in Space (1965), Mark Goddard and June Lockhart, appear in this film, which is a homage to cult sci-fi.

Note from me: I appreciate the various elements of this movie which were intended to be an homage to the classic sci-fi of the 1950 and 1960s, but the film itself just doesn't succeed. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: