ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robot Jox (1990)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, here's some new thoughts on this important subject.

You and I agreed in our previous posts that mankind often does not demonstrate the kind of nobility we see in movies like Independence Day.

Unfortunately the shocking attack on the Capitol building recently by those crazed Trump supporters is a prime example of just how despicable Trump is and how barbaric his supports are.

As much as we both regret it, mankind still has a dark side just as repulsive as the Nazis during WWII.

However, after four gut-wrenching years under the quasi-dictatorship of Donald Trump, America has finally kicked that despicable man out of the White House!

Now the Democrats are desperately trying to find enough Republicans who have both the brains and balls to put the former Tweeter in Chief in jail.

Hopefully this will send a message to groups like the QAnon, the white supremacists, and Trump supporters in general that America still has a soul and heart which fights for freedom and justice.

The world defeated the Nazis in WWII. Hopefully America will defeat this newest evil and restore our nation's dignity.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure hoping & praying you're right, amigo.

Another way of looking at it can be that our nation has been counted out in the past by intellects in different professions.

The Great Depression and World War Two would be the most notable.

We were able to make it through with blood, sweat, and tears.
And here we still stand.

It's just that back then we seemed to be a country that had far less divisiveness, so we had hope as we (mostly) pulled together.

I would also add that back then the rich & powerful did not have the grip it now has upon our country.

Several years ago, there was a fascinating series I watched.

Might have been on the History Channel.

"The Men who Built America."

It covered the lives of Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Carnegie & others which I cannot recall at the moment.

It showed not only their assent to vast wealth; it showed how they attempted at the turn-of-the-century to control the politics of the United States.

They wanted a particular man elected as POTUS but they ultimately failed.

Now anybody who believes that these men, their families, and others who created great wealth all gave up and went away are in the Matrix.

People like that never relent anymore than greed relents.

In author Chalmers Johnson excellent book "Sorrows of the Empire," he writes on how previous great nations rose & fell.

And that America is no exception to that rule.

The bloated military budget that cannot be sustainable is one area bringing us down.

He writes that we have something like 300 military bases outside the US. This is not about keeping us safe from foreign invaders. Not about being a Boy Scout out to help the underdog.

It's about accumulation of power & money.

It is about what President Dwight Eisenhower warned about for the US: The Military-Industrial Complex taking over.

"Ike" did that back in the fifties . . . it was probably too late by then for our country.

When I saw the news covering the outrage over Russia hacking our elections and continuing to hack our government computers, all I could think of is that the chickens have come home to roost.

The US has a long, long history of covertly interfering in other countries. Again, power & money are the driving forces.

We've overthrown nations and taken over because we wanted 'em. Aloha, Hawaii. A gorgeous land with an ugly history thanks to Uncle Sam.

We have overthrown honest men in elections because we back the corrupt politicians who'll give us what we want.

Growing up I really bought into America being one hell of a country. Better than the average bear.

As I have grown older and studied history, I now find that we have as much corruption, dirty politics, power grabs, corporate rule, unethical & evil operations here and abroad.

The ideals we were founded upon by the founding fathers were indeed magnificent.

It is just that over time humans have soiled so much with their avarice appetites for...once again...greed & power.

I don't mean to say that our nation has not done some grands & noble things over its existence.

We have produced grand & noble ideas, institutions, people.

However, we cannot be blind and ever think we are light years beyond other nations when some of our actions in history prove otherwise.

74,000,000 voters wanted Trump to have another term!

We have to ask why? Did they not see the horrendous damage his decisions and his administration have caused to America?

And the fact that 74,000,000 did not, or would not, see exactly what an abomination Don the Con is has disheartened me.

Still, if we give up then the bad guys win.

But we can't kid ourselves that we will win in the end, can we?

The powers-that-be hold onto their wealth & power with an iron grip. It'll be a hell of battle to get our nation on the right path.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a card-carrying "cockeye optimist", I can't help hoping that this country will indeed swing back to the days of the 1940s, when we banded together as a nation of win WWII, and 1950s, when optimism about the future was prevalent in the world in which I grew up.

But for the last four years I've seen life-long friends and close family members demonstrate how blind they were to Trump's stupidity, dishonesty, and complete lack of personal integrity.

Joe Biden seems to be the right man for the job, and he isn't quite as hamstrung by a Republican congress as Obama was. So, maybe he won't have to waste four years fighting with people who don't dive a damn what he wants to do for the country, they just want make him look bad so they can put their own man back in the White House in 2024. Rolling Eyes

But at least these last four years have shown the smarter people that our vote does count and we have to be damn careful who we vote for!

Just to end on a funny note, I kinda wish I'd gone into politics and become a Congressman — because the job is apparently so wonderful it's worth selling your soul to the devil! Laughing

(Come to think of it, that isn't very funny . . . Sad)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: