ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy Quest (1999)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Commander Custer!

Okay, let's try this idea.

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

If ever there was a movie that begged for a sequel — both because of the way it ended and the way it won the hearts of the audience — it's this marvelous science fiction-comedy-adventure-Star Trek spoof!

With a resume like that, this movie is highly qualified to take the story a step further. Here's my idea for the sequel.

First of all, the movie ends with a sticky problem that will have to be addressed carefully, otherwise it will lack the remarkable credibility which the original film achieved, in spite of it's decidedly fanciful story. Remember, we watched the NSEA Protector plow through a parking lot, smash a dozen cars, and crash into the huge conference room of a downtown hotel!

The rather gullible Galaxy Quest conventioneers applauded and cheered and shouted "Great FX". The climax is so enjoyable that we instantly forgave the outrageous illogical of it all, but I don't really like the idea of just pretending it didn't happen — especially when it's more fun to deal with the situation imaginatively.

That's a serious challenge, because the last scenes in the movie show the opening of the revived Galaxy Quest series. Obviously the government didn't lock up the cast members in Area 51, and try to hide the spaceship.

So, what DID the government do after the spectacular crash-landing into the hotel?

Well, here's one nutty way to handle it.

The government can't very well cover up such a well-documented event, and if they tried to incarcerate and "debrief" the actors after the amazing event, the public would demand to know what happened to them . . . especially if news crews arrived quickly and started covering the story, complete with footage of the starship (inside and out), along with interviews with the actors.

Let's try this instead.

The government has to move the ship to a research facility in full view of the public, with no chance to explain away the event, and the actors tell the government the same story they told the press the first day they returned to Earth — all about the alien beings, the space battles, and the advanced civilization whose amazing technology was based on the old series.

All these remarkable events on the world news outlets would give the revival of the series the greatest advanced publicity in history!

Who's NOT going to watch a new science fiction series which turned into reality and sent the actors who starred in it out into space, where they lived out the same kind of amazing adventures shown in the old series?

The publicity blitz would mean that the cast members are able to negotiate incredible contracts with the studio, along with book deals up the wazoo and lecture tours galore! All this happens in the first two weeks after the actors return to Earth, and it's presented in a tightly edited series of scenes with jazzy "montage" music.

And then . . . things get really interesting! Shocked

Mathesar and the Thermians return to Earth and tell Jason Nesmith and the other actors that a new enemy is threatening their existence. They desperately need the help of Commander Taggert and his loyal crew.

Naturally our heroes are fully aware that if the government finds out that the Thermians are back, they'll grab these walking gold mines of advanced technology and milk them like Old MacDonald's prize cow to get every scientific innovation they possessed! Shocked

Therefore, the brave crew of the NSEA Protector would realize they had to sneak into Area 51 and hi-jack the portion of the ship they brought to Earth.

Just imagine how cool this whole sequence would be, with the celebrity actor/astronauts showing up and promising to share some new info which they suddenly remembered about the alien technology, information that will help the scientists reverse engine the ship.

After getting inside the ship, they'd lock the other folks out, power up the spacecraft, blast their way out the hanger, and soar off into the sky!

The stolen section of the ship would then join up with the other portion in Earth orbit, and the two sections are coupled together. Our heroes (both human and Thermian) then head out into space to take on the challenge of this new adventure.

But wait! Very Happy

Before leaving Earth orbit, Tony Shalhoub (Tech Sergeant Chen) uses the "matter energy conversion device" to beam up the young "superfans" — Brandon and his buddies — to serve as advisors and share this great adventure with the Galaxy Quest heroes!

Damn, is this a great idea or what?! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Bud!

Here's a poster for your new film!

Last edited by Gord Green on Sun May 16, 2021 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like artwork from the IDW comic. A new movie would be great, especially if Bud had creative control... or how about a TV series...?

Last edited by Custer on Wed May 30, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea, Custer!

First they make the movie I described above, when the Protector's crew heads off to help the Thermians against a new threat.

Their new space adventure turns out to last several weeks, and during that time the TV studio learns that their highly paid actors have hijacked the portion of the starship they brought back to Earth, after which they went off on another adventure! When they don't return by the time the new series is scheduled to go into production . . . the sly executives come up with brilliant plan. Wink

The studio heads exercise a clause in the contracts which allow them to recast the roles with actors who work for much less money. And they promote the new show's sudden cast change as being necessary because "Commander Taggert and his crew are off on another adventure in the far reaches of the galaxy!"

The public would be delighted by this! The “actors” are back to being real space explorers! Very Happy

An attractive cast of younger actors are quickly signed up to take over the roles and launch the new series — which is enthusiastically promoted as "Stories inspired by the actual adventures which the crew of the NSEA Protector are experiencing . . . right now!"

It's all BS, of course, but it contains just enough truth to make the public want to believe it! After all, who knows WHAT those guys are up to, out there in space!

(Uh, guys . . . have I ever mentioned that from 1990 to 1991, after the Eastern Air Lines strike cost me my job as a baggage and freight handler, I supported my family by working as a free-lance advertising writer? I had a ball writing promotional material for various companies which made their products sound like God's gifts to mankind!)

True story, I swear. Very Happy

So, we now have a spectacular new adventure going on in outer space with the crew of the NSEA Protector . . . while back on Earth the loyal fans of these real-life space explorers are eagerly watching fictional adventures on television every week, with a cast of young actors who play the older actors . . . who previously starred in a fictional series which miraculously became real when alien beings came to Earth and made them the actual crew of a real version of the fictional starship! Shocked

If you folks need to read that again, feel free. I actually had to myself. Rolling Eyes

And if you're wondering where I'm going with all this, here’s the big pay off!

We could actually do a two-hour premiere for the TV series which sets up the show with a tightly edited version of the movie I described above as the introduction to the TV series, which takes place during the first 45 minutes of the show!

In other words, after the NSEA Protector zooms off into the cosmos on their grand adventure, the narrative would revert to the pilot of the TV series and the "new" crew's first mission in outer space! Very Happy

And thus we have the mind-boggling situation in which the cast of a sci-fi television program inspired a race of brilliant aliens to create real versions of all the technology displayed in the show . . . and then the aliens placed the actors into real versions of their space-explorer characters!

And THEN the real space explorers go back into space so that a new cast of actors have to step in and play the same characters in the revival of the series, with stories that are inspired by the adventures the real space explorer are currently experiencing somewhere in the galalxy!

What do you think, folks?

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me - but heck, we can't argue with a vintage ad agency hotshot! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this fine Starlog article about Galaxy Quest..

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again for the maximum size!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Enlarging" works great!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and I just finished reading this one! Cool

This article is wonderful because it provides some very interesting facts about the movie. For example, it mentions that the “rock creature” was actually supposed to be a living force field which picked up the rocks to assemble a “body” for itself. I love that idea!

Concerning the fact that Alan Rickman wears his alien headpiece throughout the entire movie (which seems an unlikely thing for the man to do), Rickman explains that once his character realizes the Thermians are real aliens, he keeps his rubber headpiece on because he doesn’t want the Thermians to be upset by learning that he’s just a human!

Enrico Colantoni, who played Mathesar (the leader of the Thermians) said he played the naïve and devoted alien by using elements of Jeff Bridges as Starman and Anthony Daniels as C3PO. As soon as I read that, I realized that I could see the movements in his performance which came from those sources! Very Happy

The article is a bit confusing, because it mentions several past Starlog articles about Galaxy Quest, but it's written as if the movie hasn’t come out yet. In fact, the last paragraph of the article begins to describe the climax of the movie.

“At the end of the film, in order to save the day, Jason Nesmith contacts hardcore Questerians back on Earth, and they . . .

But that would be giving away too much.”

I think I’ll try to find the other Starlog articles about this movie which this articles mention and post them here.
Very Happy
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one sense it WAS made into a TV series, q.v. The Orville (Fox 2018 - ?).

On November 2, 2017, Fox renewed the series for a second season, which will begin with a two-hour premiere on December 30, 2018 during the 2018–19 season.

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching for a suitable picture, I came across this article from 2015 - on Time.com:

Galaxy Quest TV Series Landing on Planet Amazon

A cult-classic film has found a new home thanks to Amazon Studios.

Galaxy Quest is being developed into a TV series, and Entertainment Weekly reports Amazon will bring the 1999 sci-fi film to the small screen through its streaming service.

The Galaxy Quest movie tells the story of the cast of a quasi-Star Trek television series finding themselves piloting a real spaceship and negotiating a conflict between alien species. The film spoofs various sci-fi tropes, as the race of aliens who abducts the fictional Galaxy Quest crew does not realize they are apart of a fictional series, believing their televised adventures to be historical documents.

As the show is in the early stages of development, it is not clear yet whether the Galaxy Quest TV show will feature the original crew of the NSEA Protector. The movie’s cast included Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and a young Justin Long.

So, the idea is at least floating around...
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie put this in the wrong thread.

I want!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Searching for a suitable picture, I came across this article from 2015 - on Time.com:

Galaxy Quest TV Series Landing on Planet Amazon

A cult-classic film has found a new home thanks to Amazon Studios.

Galaxy Quest is being developed into a TV series, and Entertainment Weekly reports Amazon will bring the 1999 sci-fi film to the small screen through its streaming service.

As the show is in the early stages of development, it is not clear yet whether the Galaxy Quest TV show will feature the original crew of the NSEA Protector. The movie’s cast included Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and a young Justin Long.

I went looking for fresh news about this exciting idea, but here's what I found.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender: The Galaxy Quest TV Show Is on Hold

It’s been a while since we’ve heard any updates about the Galaxy Quest television show—par for the course, given how it’s been in the works for years, with the series intended to be streamed by Amazon. Writer Paul Scheer has revealed the show isn’t in active development right now because of internal problems at Paramount TV, but promises that it’s still going to happen.

Sheer went on to say Galaxy Quest could act like a continuation of the film, much like The Force Awakens did for the Star Wars. “We want to create this kind of thing that feels like this epic sequel, but a continuation,” he said. “It is continuing a story but bringing in new characters . . . One of my big fears is, what is so great about ‘Galaxy Quest’ is it’s a fish-out-of-water story, and I hate when you just go back to the same fish in the same pond. We need to kind of change it up.”

Okay, I have no idea what this project has to do with fish that aren't in the water, but I'd love to see a series that continued the Galaxy Quest story.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 16, 2021 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FROM CNN :

Plans were in the works for a sequel to the cult classic "Galaxy Quest," but the death of star Alan Rickman put an end to the idea, co-star Sam Rockwell told Nerdist.

"They were going to do a sequel on Amazon, and we were ready to sign up for it, and Alan Rickman passed away, and Tim Allen wasn't available -- he has a show -- and everybody's schedule was all weird," he said.

Scheduling was one thing, he added, but Rickman was irreplaceable.

"How do you fill that void of Alan Rickman? That's a hard void to fill," Rockwell said.

Rickman, who died in January, played an actor named Alexander Dane who portrays Dr. Lazarus, a starship's science officer, in the 1999 film.

"Galaxy Quest," a parody of "Star Trek," its fanbase and science-fiction movies in general, also starred Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, Daryl Mitchell, Rainn Wilson and Enrico Colatoni.

"It was a great cast," said Rockwell.

Grabthar's hammer (part of a phrase often uttered by Rickman's character) isn't entirely forgotten. There may not be a sequel, but Amazon is developing a series based on the film.

FURTHER, AS REPORTED ON INDIE WIRE :

By Grabthar’s Hammer, the criminally overlooked “Galaxy Quest” will be avenged. Based on some new comments from writer/producer Paul Scheer, there’s reason to be excited about the still-in-the-works sci-fi comedy.

Amazon first announced it was developing the 1999 film as an episodic series in 2015, but things escalated last August when Scheer came on board to work on the show. In a new interview with SlashFilm, he revealed that he’s not only turned in his first script for the series, but has some big ideas on how to honor the original film while also updating the premise for the modern age of television.

“It’s going to be so long before people get to see it, I don’t want people to get too burnt out on me telling you what it’s about before it gets to that point,” he said. “But for me, it was really important to do service to a ‘Galaxy Quest’ story that gives you everything that you want and indoctrinates people who have never seen ‘Galaxy Quest’ into what the fun of that world is […] and also to continue the story of our original characters and have consequences from the first film.”

The original film starred Tim Allen, Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, and Daryl Mitchell as the former cast of a canceled sci-fi show (which might not bear a striking resemblance to “Star Trek”).

But while Scheer’s take includes bringing back the original characters, he also plans to mix the original “Galaxy Quest” crew with a new cast.

“I really wanted to capture the difference between the original cast of ‘Star Trek’ and the J.J. Abrams cast of ‘Star Trek.’ I think that, to me, is my entry point,” he added. “Sci-fi heroes are rock stars now. If you look at ‘Thor,’ in 1999 if that movie came out, it would not be received the way it is. People would not want to see a cosmic, galactic thing on that level. But now we’re accepting it. I think just by virtue of that switch in our environment, it’ll make the story feel a little bit more fresh.”

Paul Scheer TVLine Portrait Studio, Day 2, Comic-Con International, San Diego, USA - 21 Jul 2017

Scheer also promised a serialized story, as opposed to episodic, and said that he wants to “avoid anything that could be viewed as a reboot for reboot’s sake. There are real reasons behind these choices — maybe too much so.”

It’s all incredibly promising, especially as anyone who’s listened to his long-running podcast “How Did This Get Made?” knows that Scheer’s nerd credentials are bonafide. And “Galaxy Quest” itself has built up serious admiration over the years.

Just this fall, “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” director Nicholas Meyer told IndieWire that, even though it’s not officially a part of the franchise, he thinks that it is the best “Trek” film ever made. “I think in a way that’s a perfect movie. Because it satirizes aspects of it but it also delivers on it. You know, that’s the three hat trick,” he said.

As Scheer told SlashFilm, it’s still very early days for “Galaxy Quest: The Series” (officially, according to the final moments of the film, “The Journey Continues”). But this fall, Amazon has been on the hunt for “its own ‘Game of Thrones,'” a need which was theoretically addressed by acquiring the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” universe. What if the platform’s actual breakthrough genre hit ends up being a very different adaptation?

OK, that might be a lot to ask of “Galaxy Quest,” given how, as a sci-fi TV show about sci-fi TV shows, it’s set to be the very definition of niche. But the original film was both a solid space adventure as well as an exceedingly meta narrative not just about science fiction, but the dedicated fan bases which don’t just watch these shows, but sustain them for decades. And as fandom grows more powerful over the years, “Galaxy Quest” might have finally found its moment.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the web....

FIFTEEN THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT GALAXY QUEST

15 Fan Theory that Galaxy Quest Is Actually A Reality Show

Galaxy Quest is a show within a show. The movie creates a universe where the fictional show, its actors, and its adoring fans are realistically and affectionately portrayed. When the actors from the cheesy sci-fi show beat the Big Bad, they get their show renewed for another season in the process.

Some fans have hypothesized that this new run of the show is no longer a show within a show but a reality show. After finding out that it is all real, the government or the filmmakers realize the potential. If they send the old actors on actual adventures in space, the crew would be getting work once again, the Thermians would be thrilled, and Earth could explore the Universe.

Not to mention how the Thermians, having created a space ship exactly like the original, would save them a lot of money on props and CGI.

14 Alan Rickman’s Death Halted Plans For A Sequel

When Alan Rickman passed away in 2016, it was a huge loss for stage and screen. Sadly, that very year, Amazon were in talks to turn the 1999 Galaxy Quest movie into a TV show. Although not a huge financial hit, the cult following that the comedy sci-fi garnered made it appealing to the streaming service.

In an interview with Nerdist, Sam Rockwell explained how close Amazon were to a sequel but scheduling was difficult and finally impossible when Alan Rickman passed away. “And how do you fill that void of Alan Rickman?” Rockwell said, “That’s a hard void to fill.”

Apparently, Amazon did not totally give up on the project and Paul Scheer has been brought in to bring his own take on the material. It is currently not clear whether the sequel will feature any of the original actors. We can only wait and see.

13 Sigourney Weaver Was Not The First Choice For Gwen

When asked to think of strong women in science-fiction, Sigourney Weaver is one of the first faces to come to mind. She inspired millions as the iconically awesome Ellen Ripley in the Alien franchise and her career has hardly halted, starring as the elegant villain in Netflix’s The Defenders this year and set to appear in a shedload of Avatar sequels soon.

It may come as a surprise to hear that Weaver was not the first choice to play Gwen DeMarco in Galaxy Quest.
Gwen, the attractive token female crew member, whose only role was to repeat the ship’s computer, was originally envisioned as a “science-fiction virgin” according to Weaver. Luckily for us, Weaver felt that was silly, as if anyone knew how to spoof science fiction, it was her, and she was cast as the blonde bombshell, subverting the stereotype perfectly.

12 Alan Rickman Didn’t Like Tim Allen

Tim Allen has recalled how his acting process was not quite on a par with that of fellow crew member and veteran thespian Alan Rickman when they first began filming. They did not immediately get on.

Allen was a stage performer and comic, while Rickman was a classically trained actor and member of the Royal Shakespeare Company. As Rickman’s character Alexander Dane fittingly said in the movie, he played Richard the Third on stage: “I was an actor once, damn it!"

Allen goes on to say that during the course of filming, the unlikely pair became close friends. Allen described how Rickman would always bring gifts to dinner parties and managed to play a guy who’s forced to wear a rubber head with real class and gravitas.

11 Sigourney Weaver’s F-Bomb Had to Be Cut

Originally Galaxy Quest was not envisioned as the family friendly movie that audiences know and love.
A chunk of swearing had to be cut out to get the film to the PG-13 rating that would give it the widest appeal.

The most obvious change is in the scene were Gwen and Jason come face to face with the Chompers, huge metal pillars that behave like pointless Indiana Jones’ traps, for no other reason that that they existed like that on the show.

Gwen says what anyone would in that situation: “Well, screw that! Whoever wrote this episode should die!”
Except she didn’t originally say that. The first sentence is fairly obviously dubbed over to remove the F-Bomb.
According to Weaver, somewhere out there exists a R-Rated version of the science fiction spoof and plenty of people would go through Chompers to get their hands on it.

10 Tim Allen's Performance Wasn’t Based on Shatner

Tim Allen plays washed-up actor Jason Nesmith, who in turn plays heroic Commander Peter Quincy Taggart. The Commander of the NSEA Protector is known for his charismatic speeches, way with the ladies, and tendency to commando roll into combat shirtless.

The similarities with William Shatner’s Captain Kirk are obvious and Allen said that he became friends with Shatner following filming. Yet according to Allen, he based his performance of the Commander more closely on another famous actor.

Allen said he liked the way Yul Brynner sat in his throne in The Ten Commandments. “I worked off of that. I studied that. Well, I rented the tape,” he quipped in an interview for the 15th anniversary of the movie. You don’t get much more commanding than that.

9 There’s An Intentionally Bad Fan Website

Continuing to be on point in every way, Galaxy Quest has an intentionally bad fan website.
A movie spoofing Star Trek, fandom in general, sci-fi movies, and TV and movie clichés absolutely needed a tacky, hyperactive fansite for its rabid fans. The design is horrible; flashy, colorful and in no particular order. There are interviews with the cast and genuine descriptions of episodes in an episode guide, all supposedly made by an obsessive fan named Travis Latke.

Sadly, the site is not available in its original form any longer but its archived site can still be seen in all its glory. The tragedy and the triumph of this ridiculous piece of work is that many fans of the movie probably never saw this site. It is a literal piece of art.

8 Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin almost starred

Tim Allen embodies the obnoxious Commander in Galaxy Quest. It is difficult to imagine another actor as the self-obsessed, shirtless, Shatner-esque leader but Allen was not the original choice for the lead role.

The original director preferred Alec Baldwin, Kevin Kline, or Steve Martin to play Jason Nesmith/Peter Quincy Taggart but all those choices either fell through or were overruled.
At the same time, Tim Allen was almost cast in Bicentennial Man instead. Another sci-fi comedy that came out the same year, it centred around a robot who explores human emotion and creativity. Ultimately, Tim Allen chose Galaxy Quest over Bicentennial Man and the movie ended up starring comedy great Robin Williams instead.

Sadly, Bicentennial Man failed at box office, so Allen might be as glad as we are that he chose Galaxy Quest.

7 Steven Spielberg Gave Us The Alien Love Subplot

It is difficult to forget the moment when Laliari, the female Thermian crewmember, falls in love with Fred Kwan, the man who plays Tech Sergeant Chen.

Naturally a greyish/purplish octopus-like alien, the Thermians take on a human form to be able to easier communicate with the Earth crew. Laliari snuggles her new beau with her tentacles, which only seems to appeal to Kwan more. As she fully transforms into her natural form, the two sink to the ground out of shot, all as crewmate Guy looks on in confusion. The rest is left up to the imagination.

Apparently, this amusing romantic subplot is all thanks to veteran director Steven Spielberg. When Spielberg visited the set, he liked Missi Pyle’s characterisation of Laliari so much that he suggested she should be given a larger role, so the romance with Fred Kwan was added. There’s a reason Spielberg is considered a genius.

6 Patrick Stewart Disapproved (At First)

At first, Patrick Stewart, who starred as the indomitable Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, refused to see Galaxy Quest. It is understandable that the ex-Captain might have assumed the film was poking fun about a show that he cared about and not wished to see it.

Yet, he is quoted as saying that Jonathon Frakes, who played Commander William T. Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation as Picard’s second in command, change his mind and told him he had to see the movie.

After a watch of Galaxy Quest, Stewart was converted. William Shatner, the original Captain of the Enterprise, also apparently became friends with the cast of the spoof. We can all rest assured that the movie comes with Kirk and Picard's approval.

5 Ghostbusters' Harold Ramis Was Originally Set To Direct

Harold Ramis defined the comedic tastes of a generation. Known for Animal House, Caddyshack, Stripes, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Ghostbusters, and Groundhog Day, he was almost responsible for Galaxy Quest too.

Under the title Captain Starshine, the sci-fi comedy was originally given to Harold Ramis to direct in 1998. Originally Ramis wanted Kevin Kline for the lead role but when Kline turned down the part, Ramis suggested Alec Baldwin. When Dreamworks insisted on casting Tim Allen in the lead role, Ramis left the project and Dean Parisot took over.

After seeing the finished product, Ramis is said to have admitted that Allen did the role justice. Audiences are inclined to agree but it is a shame that we will never know what a Galaxy Quest with Ramis at the helm and Kline or Baldwin in the lead role would have looked like.

4 There’s aGalaxy Quest Mockumentary

Before big-budget cinematic universes and shared continuity, some movies nailed their marketing in the most unique ways possible.

Prior to the release of the movie in 1999, the US entertainment channel E! featured a mockumentary entitled Galaxy Quest: 20th Anniversary, The Journey Continues. The documentary was presented in the same style as real-life ones on the making of Star Trek, featuring fake interviews of the series' cast (portrayed by the actors of the actual film), Questerians, and critics.

It explored how Galaxy Quest became “America’s Number 1 Science-Fiction Cult Classic”, as well as elaborating on the actors’ fictional backgrounds and how they ended up on the show.

3 The Alien Warlord Sarris Is Named After A Film Critic

Villainous insectoid General Sarris is as deceptive as he is over the top. An arrogant, monologuing maniac, Sarris is the main antagonist in Galaxy Quest with simple, genocidal goals to wipe out the cheerful Thermians and steal the Omega 13 Device.

The green-skinned and armored Sarris wears a metallic eye-patch in homage to popular Star Trek baddie General Chang. He is also reportedly named after Andrew Sarris, a film critic who previously targeted producer Mark Johnson’s films with negative reviews.

Andrew Sarris had very publicly disliked Johnson’s previous film, The Natural. In response to the unusual homage, Sarris apparently joked that the movie “probably won’t make enough money for me to sue for $10 million.” Well, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

2 Guy Fleegman Was Named After an unknown Star Trek actor

Unexpected fan favourite Guy Fleegman only made a brief appearance in the original Galaxy Quest TV series but ended up in the "real life" adventures that the washed-up actors find themselves in. Guy brought a lot of humor to the situation as he was constantly paranoid that he would be the"redshirt" who would die to prove how perilous the situation is to the audience.

The character was named after Guy Vardaman, a man who had played several unnamed characters in The Next Generation and served as the occasional stand-in for the more well-known Brent Spiner and Wil Wheaton. Rather like Guy Fleegman during the movie, Guy Vardaman could hardly believe he was being honored in that way as “the plucky comic relief."

1 It’s The Seventh Greatest Star Trek Movie Ever

At a 2013 Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas, a panel ranked the Trek movies. The results were pretty much as you might expect, with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan as top of the list, followed by Star Trek: First Contact, and finally Star Trek Into Darkness ingloriously bringing up the rear.

While some fans maintained that the reboots should not be even considered on the list, it might come as a surprise to find spoof Galaxy Quest ranked along with the 12 official Trek movies.

The hatred of the new Trek franchise is hardly a shock but finding Galaxy Quest at seventh in the ranking is far more exciting. It is easy to see why. The movie captures the heart and soul of the Trek franchise and its fans.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud; Your story idea sounds like it's perfect for GALAXY QUEST: The Next Generation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: