ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man of Steel (2013)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you think Man of Steel was the best Superman movie?
Yes, they finally got it right!
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No, I liked one of the others better.
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Man of Steel (2013) Reply with quote

I finally saw this movie today. Loved it. This is the Superman movie I've been waiting for since I was five years old, back in 1952, when I watched George Reeves in The Adventures of Superman.

This movie has the right stars — Henry Cavill (chisel-faced good looks and macho as hell) and Amy Adams (cute, smart, and gutsy).

It has the right story — Krypton explodes because the politicians on Krypton are just like the politicians on Earth (dumb as a bag of moldy burritos and totally incapable of making important decisions).

It has impeccable special effects — right down the CGI cape that Superman "wears" so he doesn't trip over a real one while filming action scenes.

And Oh My God, it finally puts Superman in a costume that isn't a major embarrassment to anyone over six years old. Hell's bells, even when I was a kid and dressed up like Superman — with socks for boots, a towel pinned around my neck, and a T-shirt with an S drawn on the front by my mother — I still wore my underwear on the inside of my shorts!

I mean, come on guys — if YOU were Superman, which outfit would you choose?

If you chose the top picture, we'll have a pocket protector attached to the chest, because we wouldn't want you to stain the shirt with a leaky pen. And if that belt isn't high enough for you, we'll add a snazzy pair of yellow suspenders that will match the belt.

It's taken over half-a-century to fix the world's greatest superhero so he convinces us he's really as tough, smart, and cool as we've always wanted him to me — but somebody finally did it.

Thank Zod our prayers have been answered!

I mean, thank God.
Embarassed

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 6 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have great affection for the George Reeves & Chris Reeve productions; yeah, their Superman costumes don't date well.

The last 2 films had superb looking S costumes that finally can give Batman a run for his money.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common criticism I read of this movie was the climactic battle taking place in the middle of a major city without regard for people's lives or destruction of property. But in rewatching the movie, I find that that was where Zod chose to attack Superman; the latter didn't have any input in the matter.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was the 79th anniversary of the first Superman comic, so I looked through the 148 trivia items on IMDB. Unfortunately only four of them grabbed my interest! Most of them were things like "Amanda Seyfried auditioned for a role, but was turned down."

Like, who cares?

Anyway, here's the four I found.

Henry Cavill refused to take steroids to muscle up for the role. He also refused any digital touch-ups or enhancement to his body in his shirtless scenes. He said it would have been dishonest of him to use trickery while playing Superman, and he wanted to push his body to the limits, to develop his physique into one that was worthy of the character.

Note from me: Boy, that can NOT be easy! Sad

When Clark is first learning to fly, he is only able to make a few gigantic bounds. In the first few Superman comics in 1938-9, he was not able to fly, but could only leap 1/8 of a mile like a high-powered kangaroo. The first cartoons and movies decided that this looked undignified, and made him fly, which looks more majestic, even though physics give no logical reason for him to have this ability.

Note from me: The intro to the 1950s TV series retained this idea, even though Superman did fly. "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!"

According to David S. Goyer, Superman's costume is defined in this film to be an undergarment: "All the battle armor goes on top of the suits. But since Superman's a refugee, his outfit doesn't have that gear, and would make him defenseless on his own Kryptonian turf." This is also a nod to pop culture's running joke that Superman's costume appears to be underwear.

Note from me: This is clever. The logic used to state that on Krypton. Superman would need battle armor is good. But, of course, the new suit looks like it IS battle armor compared to the traditional tights.

But the idea is still clever. Very Happy

Zack Snyder originally planned for the infamous red trunks that Superman has worn throughout his 75 year existence, to be part of the suit in the movie. However, when looking over 1,500 different designs, he said that it just didn't work, so he decided to take them out.

Note from me: It took us 75 years to finally change something as minor as the red trunks. This sort of reminds me of the way Congress works (or doesn't work). Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Superman's original costume (and the many super-hero costumes that came after!).

It was patterned after that of a circus acrobat or trapeze artist. The leotard was colorful and comfortable to aid the audience's view of the action. The cape was used by the acrobat as an attention getter and as a personal point of identity.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, sir. Thank you. Your comment gave me an idea concerning superhero capes.

Circus performers wear the capes to be flamboyant. They stride out under the Big Top with bold confidence and make a hell of a good first impression.

And just before they get to work . . . they whip that cape off with the same flamboyance and go into action.

Superheroes certainly can't be accused of wearing practical clothing. But despite their flashy nature, the outfits they wear serve them well for the same reasons the circus outfits you mentioned do.

However, a cape is absolutely useless once a superhero goes into action. It flaps around behind Superman while he's trying to break the sound barrier. It tangles up and gets in Batman's way when he's trying to fight.

Therefore . . . why couldn't superheroes whip off their useless capes when they spring into action, just like circus performers do?

It would look extremely cool, and it would make perfect sense! And it would also be a dramatic moment which signaled the fact somebody was about open open a serious can of whup-ass! Cool

What do you think? Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman, at least, makes a use of his cape.

He uses it to conceal himself in shadows, whips around to distract attackers and can be used to help him glide into action.

The Roman legionarrie's officers only wore colored capes, red for generals (Dux Bellorum) and purple for Emperors. Rank and file wore brown if any.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Batman, at least, makes a use of his cape. He uses it to conceal himself in shadows, whips around to distract attackers and can be used to help him glide into action.

Exactly! And as soon as he decided to beat the stuffin' out of those low-born law breakers he could shuck out of that superfluous garment and become lean, mean, and ready to cream the villains! Cool

He could even toss it into the face of a foe and blind him long enough to kick him in the nards and leave him laying on the floor, whining like a momma's boy!

Then he could pluck his cape off the floor, spin it around dramatically, and fling the garment onto his back!

Hey, didn't Doctor Strange do something like that in the recent movie? Shocked

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive trailer. Very Happy

_____________ Man of Steel Official Trailer #3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: