ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
No, it's just you. This is the worst Bat-suit ever.

I have to beg to differ. I don't have a photo, but that 1940s Batman costume takes it. It might not show in a still, but when he moved his head around it would move inside the bat mask and cowl.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Jones wrote:
I don't have a photo, but that 1940s Batman costume takes it.

WayneO
-----------
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne that is the 1943 Columbia serial Batman costume and it is NOT the worst. Despite being made by the same studio, 1949's Batman and Robin used the dumbest — as well as worst — costume ever; a modified devil's costume:

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersized Runtime Revealed

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-v-superman-supersized-runtime-revealed/

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always known that Superman was crazy. Anybody who would wear his underwear on the outside must have a screw loose. Rolling Eyes

Now the underwear is on the inside . . . and the 'crazy' is on the outside!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A New Campaign for this election season!

HELP SUPERMAN REGAIN HIS SANITY!

EVER SINCE THE MAN OF STEEL CHANGED COSTUME STYLE TO CONFORM WITH EARTH NOTIONS OF PROPRIETY HE HAS BEEN BEHAVING MORE AND MORE "UNSTABLE".

RESEARCH SHOWS THAT THE FIBERS OF KRYPTONIAN UNDERWEAR IS IMPREGNATED WITH SPECIALLY MADE, UNDUPLICATABLE CHEMICALS WHICH CREATE AN ENERGY FIELD WHICH MODIFIES TYPICAL AGGRESSIVE MALE BEHAVIOR.

BRING BACK THE UNDERWEAR TO WHERE IT BELONGS

OUTSIDE!

Sponsored by the Citizens League for Responsible Superheroes

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Diana's (or Diana Prince AKA Wonder Woman) civilian career:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/batman-v-superman-merchandise-reveals-wonder-womans-civilian-career

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jena Malone's secret character has been cut from the theatrical release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, according to a new report — but will appear in the R-rated extended cut on home video.

Entertainment Weekly first reported that Malone would not be in the movie, directed by Zack Snyder, but did not explain further. Rumors have swirled that Malone is portraying either Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl/Oracle or Carrie Kelley, the female Robin from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDENDUM!!!

Jena Malone's character revealed in a survey by Warner's!

She is Barbara Gordon! From the cut scene:

Publicity shot:

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
A deleted scene...

That's hilarious!

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, no kidding — that's exceptionally well done. Funny as hell! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkish Airlines — The official Airline of the DC Universe.

Destination: Gotham

Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpk8eSpRBnY

Destination: Metropolis

Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TReIozZ1b10

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this movie is finally out, and the critics all seem to agree: it sucks.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a rating of 29 — which is a great number if it's your age, but a disaster if it describes how critics responded to your movie.

I really had high hopes for this one. But film critic A.O. Scott, writing for The New York Times, ends his scathing comments about the film with this damning remark.

"The studio has, in the usual way, begged and bullied critics not to reveal plot points, and I wouldn't dream of denying you the thrill of discovering just how overstuffed and preposterous a movie narrative can be."

Hollywood must be wonder why God hates them these days. They can't seem to figure out how to make movies people like. They either make movies that are good, but nobody likes them, or they make movies that are bad . . . and nobody likes them.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: batman v superman Reply with quote

I went to see this today and all I can say is "the critics must all be idiots, or just out to diss the genre!"

The movie was very ambitious and threw a lot at you, but anyone at least familiar with the past 20 years of DC Comics and terms like 'mother box'. 'boom tube' , 'Darkseid" and "Flashpoint" would not be completely in the dark.

I hate to just cut and paste, but the following review from FORBES says it all.

The Critics Must Be Crazy: 'Batman V Superman' Is Fantastic
by Erik Kain

If there's one thing critics can agree on, it's that Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice is terrible.

Review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes currently rates Zack Snyder's Dark Knight meets Man of Steel film at 28%, just five points above the much-reviled Zoolander 2, and a mere 17 points above the disastrous Divergent: Allegiant (which sounds like a bargain jet-plane that's gone missing.)

Metacritic rates the film at a slightly higher aggregate critic score at 44%. Not quite as bad, but still decidedly in the "F" grade range.

When I saw these numbers, I shook my head sadly. Surely Batman v. Superman was a huge mess, botched in nearly every way possible.

Then I went and saw the movie. And it was great. I still can't reconcile the widespread panning of the film with what I actually experienced in the theater.

Warning: While this post tries not to reveal too much, there are spoilers.

Critics have called Batman v Superman everything from "laughable" to — misogynist, paternalistic, fascist even.

Good grief. All of those things at once!?

And so what if it is? So what if a film about superheroes is a little fascistic? At least the question of democracy is raised. At least that conversation takes place in this film, and by the end we're left still puzzling it out.

The unilateral actions of these ubermensch heroes (the heroes the world needs, not that it deserves) are presented not as purely good deeds, but as actions with unintended consequences.

I left the film thinking that, at least on some level, those concerned with Superman's enormous power weren't wrong. What if he went mad? He could destroy the world. That's Bruce Wayne's fear. Here is a man (no, an alien) with the power to destroy everything, that Batman can't hope to stop (without a little help from a certain green rock.) And even without that threat, Superman draws aliens from outerspace with similarly jaw-dropping and deadly powers.

That ultimately Batman is wrong, and the two team up with Wonder Woman to stop Lex Luthor and Doomsday, doesn't change the fact that for all its bombast and violence, Batman v. Superman is still a thoughtful and thought-provoking film.

Still others mourn the lack of color in the film, calling it a "dreary slog with forgettable fight scenes."

This surprises me even more than cries of sexism and uncool politics. If nothing else, the fight scenes in Batman v. Superman are simply outstanding. They have a heft and straightforwardness to them that's captivating in a way few superhero films manage.

Though the films barely resemble one another, and the fights are quite different, there's something about the film that reminds me of the frankness of John Wick's violence. It's mesmerizing and brutal watching Batman beat Superman to within an inch of his life, or see the Dark Knight take out a mob of enemies one by one as he scrambles to save Clark Kent's mother from death-by-flamethrower.

Perhaps my least favorite fight sequence is between Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman and the giant Doomsday. But even that larger than life, CGI-strewn sequence was enormously entertaining.

I even liked the moment when Batman realizes that Superman has a mother. Sure, you can see it as Batman realizing that he has a mother with the same name as his own mother, but that's not the point. Up until that moment, Bruce Wayne saw Superman as nothing more than a symbol of destruction — not as a person with a mother. When he realizes this, all the fight goes out of him. It's kind of a touching moment, actually.

I left the movie feeling really upbeat, and also really bewildered. How could my opinion be so different from everyone else's?

Audiences vs. Critics

So it came as something of a pleasant surprise when I got home and checked audience reviews, where the reaction is quite a lot more positive.

Batman V Superman is rocking a Fresh 72% with audiences at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.4/10 with audiences at Metacritic. It's not that audiences are "right" and critics are "wrong" here, but it does feel like the critical consensus is a bit off the mark this time around. I think that sometimes movies become fair game, or that some sort of critical mob mentality sets in, and a perfectly decent film is piled on a little too harshly. (If I hadn't looked ahead of time I would have guessed Batman v. Superman would have scored upper 60′s to lower 70′s on Rotten Tomatoes. No masterpiece, but a good superhero movie regardless.)

I still believe this is what happened with John Carter — not a perfect movie by any means, but far better than critics allowed.

Like Batman v. Superman, I think that movie tried really hard to be true to the spirit of its source material, and for whatever reason that doesn't always play well with critics (some of whom, at the time, complained that John Carter borrowed too heavily from Star Wars. Sigh.)

Batman V Superman's plot weaknesses and more jarring moments have certainly been met with a sterner eye than those of its recent predecessors in the DC Universe.

The Dark Knight Trilogy was enormously well-received by critics, but there were plenty of things that didn't make perfect sense in those movies.

The Joker, for all Heath Ledger's brilliance in the role, was pretty much whatever the reverse of a Mary Sue is — a too perfect villain, whose crazy plans all turn out flawlessly.

If you really start to pick The Dark Knight apart, the house of cards falls down pretty quickly. But we don't, because that film is (justifiably) considered to be great.

Batman v. Superman isn't a perfect movie. Batman's rage, his drive to rid the world of the threat of Superman, could have been built up more — and I do like Paul Tassi's idea for a full-blown Injustice film (of which we only get a glimpse in Bruce Wayne's startling weird dream.)

Wonder Woman could have played a larger and more interesting role. And Snyder's pacing is often erratic, ebbing and flowing between long, lingering shots and abrupt action. (The decision to nuke Doomsday and Superman happened in like twelve seconds.)

At times the story seems to jump around without any regard for chronology, making timelines a bit hard to follow.

Certain little details just don't make sense, like why Lois throws the spear in the water and then goes back for it without being a part of the conversation about killing Doomsday with it at all.

But these are all fairly minor quibbles in the bigger scheme of things. There's much more tipping the scales in a positive direction. I've already talked about the fight scenes, which were perhaps a highlight of the film for me.

Beyond that, I think the entire cast was pretty much pitch perfect. Ben Affleck's Batman was a nice change from Christian Bale. Affleck is the perfect choice for an older, more jaded and bloodthirsty Dark Knight. I mean, branding the bad guys? That's about as dark as it comes.

Henry Cavill is just as good as Superman, putting on a terrific performance from start to finish.

And Jesse Eisenberg — certainly the casting choice I was most skeptical of — put on a surprisingly delightful performance as Lex Luthor.

Tense, dark, and beautifully shot, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice may not be a critical darling, but it's a tremendously good superhero movie nonetheless.

Could it have been better? Most definitely. But the critical consensus seems way off this time around. Of course, there's no accounting for taste, and liking or disliking a film is purely a matter of personal opinion. I liked this one a lot, and it surprises me that so many of my peers seem to disagree so vehemently.

Fortunately, at least one other critic enjoyed the movie as much as me. My colleague Mark Hughes called the movie "triumphant".

Whatever the case, go see the movie and make up your own mind. I think it's good enough to spend some money on at a big screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: