ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien vs Predator (2004)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Alien vs Predator (2004) Reply with quote

This one is a rip-roaring good time, and the story does something I really admire it for. It explains that the Aliens were created (or at least found and used) by the Predators as the "ultimate prey", and they've been creating them for challenging hunts here on Earth for thousands of years.

I like that idea because if allows me to have a little more respect for the Predators — they didn't just run around ripping the spines out of poor pitiful humans, they actually had the stones to take on a real challenge.

That made it easier for me to root for the Predator who teamed up with hot-babe-badass Sanaa Lathan as they battle the nasty aliens and try to keep them from overrunning the Earth.

Yep, this is a fun movie.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've seen this one a couple of times and would watch it again. It's a solid action film with relatively logical characters, unlike a certain other Alien prequel I won't mention. I'd rather see another sequel to this series than the stuff Ridley Scott's been doing.
Zackuth
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this is a rip-roaring good time. I was a bit doubtful when I heard this was being made, I ended up enjoying it very much. I even liked the sequel to it. Even though I was cheering for the Predator aliens, I did not want them to win either. It's not like they are out to kill the aliens for the higher purpose of ridding the galaxy of a threat, the Predators don't want their hunting ground spoiled and all their prey dead.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good threads like this one, about good movies like this one, need a trailer for us all to enjoy.

So, here ya go, folks! Very Happy

_____________ AVP: Alien vs. Predator - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien vs Predator: Requiem was a piss-poor "sequel" (so-called) to this fine movie, and I disliked it intensely.

The final scene in AVP presented an intriguing idea — an alien which gestates inside a Predator and incorporates some of the host's physiology. Good screenwriters could have a field day with that idea! Very Happy

The story wouldn't necessarily have to take place aboard the Predator starship. The Alien/Predator hybrid might stay hidden until the ship reaches the Predators' destination before it was discovered.

Or the Predators might discover the hybrid soon after it bursts from the chest of the host, and they could turn back to Earth (for some reason) so that humans could be included in the story.

Perhaps the hybrid eludes the Predator crew and gets to an escape pod, then returns to Earth, making the story largely Earth-bound with human characters battling this horrible new threat.

Just a few ideas off the top of my noggin. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monstrous - but not a total monstrosity.

Antartica, and an expedition is about to uncover a battleground for Aliens and Predators.

Whoever wins, we lose! So ran the tag line for Paul W. S. Anderson's prequel (?) to two fanatically worshipped franchises. Little was Anderson to know that it was the majority of cinema goers who would feel that they had "lost" their cash on coming out after watching this miss-matched effort.

Though in truth nobody could seriously have expected a film to rival the best of both serials (Alien, Aliens, and Predator), it's still right that us fans should expect the formula to be respectfully adhered too. We want character build up, we expect a group dynamic to function, and we definitely want the baddies to stay just that, as baddies.

It's not a total loss, though, even as Anderson all too quickly hurtles towards his "humans caught in a cube like puzzle box" blood bath, there is just enough back story and anticipation to tickle the tongue.

In fact, when it all goes pear shaped and Xenomorphs, Pred-Rastas, and humans are all lined up for slotting, it's damn near exciting stuff. The pyramid/cube/maze design is pretty awesome.

However, then the plus points are vanquished as the film quickly becomes kiddie friendly as gloop gives way to strawberry jelly, featuring a turn of events with our "heroine" that's so clumsy I'd be surprised if Anderson sleeps at night.

Still, it's obvious that Anderson loves both franchises and he in no way would have wanted to make a stinker. But he has made a very average movie, one that's got two things in its favour — one being the neat middle section, and the other is that it's not half as bad as the messy hack job that was AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem in 2007. 5/10

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An All You Can Eat Special!

This looks like it might be every bonus feature from the Blu-ray box set. Here's almost 70 minutes of BTS documentaries for Alien vs Predator. If you find that any of these are flawed (no audio, etc.), please let me know and I'll remove the bad ones. Very Happy

Enjoy! __

______________ AVP Brains, Blood & Guts BTS

_______________________ AVP FOX Special

______________ 'Alien vs. Predator' Interview

_______________ AVP Alien Slice And Dice BTS

______ AVP Filming Predators In Temple ADI BTS

_________ AVPR Filming Alien Breaking Window

_____________ AVPR To Dress A Predator BTS

________________ AVPR Wolf Predator On Set

______________ *AVP Creating The Queen BTS

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 81 trivia items. Here's the best of the bunch.

In an interview, director Paul W.S. Anderson said that Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to reprise his role as Dutch Schaeffer (from Predator (1987)) at the end of this movie as a cameo, but only if he lost the election for California governor.

Note from me: I like this movie, and the climax is very exciting. But I can't quite figure out how Arnold's character would fit in, other than mayby having him show up at the end and say to Alexa Woods, "You survived. You're mine kinda woman." (Actually, that might have been pretty good.)

The first film in the "Alien" franchise to not feature Sigourney Weaver, who has said in interviews the idea of the crossover "sounded awful."

Note from me: I thought this movie did a great job of presenting the idea that the Predators were willing to hunt more dangerous prey than just puny humans, and they'd worked out a centuries-old system for producing Aliens for them to hunt!

I wouldn't minded it a bit if the plot had included the idea that the Aliens were genetically engineered by the Predators to be the ultimate prey!

And I'd take the idea one step further and reveal that the Aliens turned out to be so tough the the Predator race found it necessary to genetically engineer a Super-Predator race to exterminate the Aliens.

But the Super-Predators were designed to love hunting the Aliens so much that they killed off the somewhat less aggressive "normal" Predators so they could establish the continuing cycle of Predator vs Alien hunts we see in this movie.

I love the idea that the intelligent-but-aggressive Predator race was largely wiped out by the "Frankenstein monster" they created to deal with the uncontrollably dangerous prey which they themselves engineered!

Just FYI: This is why I'm puzzled by the folks who say we should just "leave our brains in the lobby and enjoy movies without thinking about them too much."

To me that's like leaving your erection in your pants when you girlfriend says she wants to make love! Very Happy

The alien queen was the most sophisticated animatronic ever built at the time. It has twice as many moving parts as the T-rex from Jurassic Park (1993).

The animatronic Queen was controlled by a motion-control rig, which could save her movements digitally. So, if the Queen made a nice looking move in rehearsal, the move could be replayed verbatim in front of the camera.

Note from me: My goodness, we've certainly come a long way since Howdy Dowdy! Puppets used to be small friendly characters who hung from strings and joked around with Flubbadub. Now they're large scary creatures made of steel and fiberglass, and they're controlled by rods and computers.

Buffalo Bob would be SO proud . . . Very Happy

Several hundred actresses tested for the lead female. Sanaa Lathan was selected one week before filming began, and had to fly to Prague immediately.

Note from me: I was very impressed with Miss Lathan. She's not only gorgeous, she's a fine actress.

The Alien vs. Predator story crossed over virtually all forms of media before becoming a feature film. There was a successful comic book series, toy line, multiple video games, soundtrack (of the PC game) and even a trading card series.

Note from me: These are clear indications that fans of science fiction love both ideas and appreciate the potential of combining the concepts.

Ridley Scott hated the film, but James Cameron admitted that he enjoyed it and placed it third on his favorite of the Alien movies.

Note from me: I appreciate the creative intelligence of Ridley Scott, but if he didn't like this movie I suspect he and I have very different ideas of what a good story is.

The scene in which Weyland's team discovers the sacrificial chamber inside the pyramid was originally longer than seen in the theatrical cut. After Rousseau and Thomas discuss the hole in the corpse's chest, Sebastian finds a calcified facehugger. Lex and Sebastian then theorize as to what the creature's origin could be. The scene was restored in the movie's unrated (extended) cut.

Note from me: Hey, I'll have to get that extended cut. Might be pretty interesting! Very Happy

20th Century Fox wanted Roland Emmerich to direct the film back in the late 1990's, due to the box office success of Independence Day (1996), but Emmerich turned down the offer, choosing to work on other projects.

Note from me: Being a fan of Roland Emmerich I wouldn't have minded this, but I have no complaints with the film that was made.

Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri were planning to team up for the film's score but Goldsmith's battle with cancer (and eventual passing) prevented the pairing from occurring.

Note from me: If Jerry and Alan got along and wanted to collaborate, this might have been wonderful. But I can't think of examples when two great composers worked together successfully, except for the score the The Egyptian (1954), which is credited to both Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman.

The shot of the Alien Queen sinking into the Antarctic Ocean, mirrors the shot of the Alien Queen floating out into space at the end of Aliens (1986).

Note from me: On that subject, consider this question: The alien in Alien obvious wasn't killed by the vacuum of space, so Ripley had to roast him with shuttle's engines. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that the Queen Alien wouldn't drown, and that she might eventually break that chain that dragged her to the sea floor.

And then . . . there'd be a sequel. Maybe even one that pitted the Alien Queen and her newly-made family against the Alien/Predator hybrid and his newly-made kin when they come back to Earth after they kill all the Predators on the spaceship.

Come on, admit it! You love the idea of a movie called Alien versus Alien/Predator Hybrids. Very Happy

Since the Alien prequel Prometheus (2012), it has been confirmed by multiple sources and Ridley Scott himself, that the AVP franchise now is not canon to the main Alien/Predator universe(s). Prometheus is the sole backstory to how the Xenomorphs came to be, no longer making this film a prequel to any Alien movie franchise.

Note from me: This is unfortunate, because I liked the idea that the Predators used the Aliens the way they did in this movie.

The Antarctic setting on Bouvet Island is based on the unexplained "Vela Incident" of September 22, 1979, where a satellite recorded a flash of light near the island. It was first speculated to have been a man made nuclear explosion, or a natural event, such as a meteor strike, but this has never been resolved.

Note from me: Wikipedia has an article about this, and it's pretty interesting. The "flash" was detected by a satellite, and it was actually a "double-flash" . . . which is typical of a nuke test, according to the article. Read about it here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: