ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deja Vu (2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Deja Vu (2006) Reply with quote

A very different kind of time travel story, in which the period of time the machine can visit is limited to just four days.

Sound useless? Actually, when it comes to terrorism, that can make a big difference.

Denzel Washington is an agent of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who investigates the terrorist bombing of a ferry boat in New Orleans, with the help of a new device the government is fiddling with — a time machine.

The plot is complicated, but one thing the story does exactly right is deal with those pesky alterations in the timeline caused by changes in the past — a fine example from the classic "if you fix this, you'll screw up that" school of temporal excursions.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my brilliant review above didn't convince you to watch this movie, maybe the trailer will put you in the mood. Cool

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 03, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Retroactive, where you can only travel back about twenty minutes. But there are consequences when you try to change the timeline.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that one, so I looked it up on IMDB. Here's what it says about Retroactive. It sounds interesting.

A psychiatrist makes multiple trips through time to save a woman that was murdered by her brutal husband.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 03, 2020 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble (HA!) viewpoint both DejaVu (2006) and Retroactive (1997) are great films. Maybe they should be chat-night movies?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
In my humble (HA!) viewpoint both Deja Vu (2006) and Retroactive (1997) are great films. Maybe they should be chat-night movies?

In a perfect world there would be a central source movies we could all access, and it would have all the movies we'd like to share in the chat room.

Sadly the world is not perfect, and even the sources we can all access seem to be dwindling instead of expanding. Stavevu is apparently gone for good, and Youtube has become increasingly strict about the copyrighted material they allow to be downloaded.

So, the problem our Creature Feature Selection Committee is faced with each week when choosing chat room movies is three fold:

(1) Which movies would interest the most members?

(2) What sources have the movies we want?

(3) Which members can access a given source?

Some folks have Netflix. Some folks have channels like MeTV, etc. Some folks have extensive DVD libraries.

You get my point, I'm sure.

Initially tried suggesting three movies for the members to vote on. Few people bothered to vote. I tried asking for suggests. Everybody had plenty of suggestions, but no agreement could be reached.

Now we have the Creature Feature Selection Committee, three members who enjoy the Friday chat and try to attend every week. I leave it to them to choose a feature all three of them agree on and can acquire, and then we all just hope others members will decided to join us.

Thanks for the suggestion, Butch. The committee will take note of it.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
In my humble (HA!) viewpoint both Deja Vu (2006) and Retroactive (1997) are great films. Maybe they should be chat-night movies?

In a perfect world there would be a central source of movies we could all access, and it would have all the movies we'd like to share in the chat room.

Sadly the world is not perfect, and even the sources we can all access seem to be dwindling instead of expanding. Stavevu is apparently gone for good, and Youtube has become increasingly strict about the copyrighted material they allow to be downloaded.

So, the problem our Creature Feature Selection Committee is faced with each week when choosing chat room movies is three fold:

(1) Which movies would interest the most members?

(2) What sources have the movies we want?

(3) Which members can access a given source?

Some folks have Netflix. Some folks have channels like MeTV, etc. Some folks have extensive DVD libraries.

You get my point, I'm sure.

Initially tried suggesting three movies for the members to vote on. Few people bothered to vote. I tried asking for suggests. Everybody had plenty of suggestions, but no agreement could be reached.

Now we have the Creature Feature Selection Committee, three members who enjoy the Friday chat and try to attend every week. I leave it to them to choose a feature all three of them agree on and can acquire, and then we all just hope others members will decided to join us.

Thanks for the suggestion, Butch. The committee will take note of it. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd watched Deja Vu, but the blu-ray package is still sealed, so it must have been some other "limited time travel hops to avoid something bad in the city" movie, I suppose. Was a train involved, or maybe a ferry? At least if I do unseal it, it hopefully won't be, in the words of the great Yogi Berra, "Deja Vu all over again"...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, that is a mystery. Deja Vu does involve a ferry boat that explodes and causes many casualties (the event that the time traveler tries to prevent), but the movie Source Code is also a sort of "time travel to prevent disaster" move (and a great one), which involves a train wreck caused by an explosion.

I own (and love) Source Code, and I did enjoy (but don't own or love) Deja Vu. Maybe I should watch it again.

Hmmm . . . seems like I said that before. Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 46 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The movie went through pre-production in New Orleans. Just a few weeks before production was to begin, Hurricane Katrina devastated the city. With the location in ruins, the movie made the decision to find a new location to shoot. A few weeks after the decision, canceling the movie altogether was in talks. Finally, three months after the hurricane, the film returned to New Orleans, Louisiana and began pre-production once again.

Note from me: This illustrates just how hard it is to get a movie made. Sad

~ Jim Caviezel decided, at the last minute, to do the stunt where he is hit by a car himself. If injured, he could have been paralyzed.

Note from me: This certainly doesn't sound smart. Leave stunts to stuntmen, I say. Shocked

~ Disaster relief teams, who helped through the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, were recruited to help make the film. The end credits pay tribute to their bravery.

Note from me: When life serves you lemons, make lemonade.

~ Scriptwriters Terry Rossio and Bill Marsilii didn't feel Tony Scott recaptured everything in the screenplay. They felt he was more interested in the action scenes, rather than the intricacies of time travel. They wrote a plot that was airtight, but in Scott's hands, the finished product is now filled with plot holes. Rossio was so disillusioned with the film, he's never seen it. Scott also admitted he did a mediocre job directing the film, but blamed that on the nineteen-week production schedule, which wasn't as long as he wanted.

Note from me: I don't remember the plot very clearly, but I do remember being puzzled by a few plot elements. Now I know why. Rolling Eyes

~ There is almost no profanity at all in the film.

Note from me: Well, I'll be damned Laughing

~ Tony Scott, Denzel Washington, Val Kilmer, and Jim Caviezel held a news conference upon their arrival to New Orleans to announce their intention to employ the local New Orleans community and incorporate post-Katrina New Orleans into the film.

Note from me: Admirable. Very Happy

~ This is the second film about the past and present overlapping with one another that Jim Caviezel has been in. The first was Frequency (2000).

Note from me: I absolutely love Frequency!

~ In the film the scientists describe how they caused the northeast blackout of 2003 in order to produce enough power to fuel their time machine. In reality, it would take more energy than our Sun will produce in its entire lifetime in order to not only create but maintain an Einstein-Rosen bridge of such size and capability.

Note from me: This seems like hard claim to prove. I know it's all about the mathematics, but . . . what if somebody left out a decimal! Wink

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be mistaken, but the writer of this film is also a 20K Nautilus fan. Great movie, a favorite. Like the ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: