ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serenity (2005)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come we can have a war crimes commission to convict Nazi's of their atrocities, but we don't have a Film Crimes Commission that deals with studio morons who screw up good series with dumb decisions.

Then we could legally hang 'em and then try 'em for what they did. You know, let the punishment fit the crime!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is an idea I can get behind. Laughing
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunch with Nathan Fillion

https://www.prizeo.com/prizes/nathan-fillion/shiny-lunch/default

New buggy for the Serenity.

http://tek-think.com/2016/01/05/fireflys-nathan-fillion-drives-the-gen-8-mule-all-electric-vehicle-prototype/
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Aggrieved Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
When I bought [the box set], I knew very little about the series, but I did know that there were three unaired episodes that were later turned into a MOVIE called Serenity.

I may be mistaken, or I may have misunderstood you, but I don't think the movie Serenity was created from three unaired episodes. In fact, I don't think there were any unaired episodes.

The plot of the movie is, I believe, an extension of the the series because it was cancelled, and Joss Whedon had many additional story ideas for the episode that would have come later.

So, even though it's important to watch the series first (and twice, in your case Very Happy), the movie was made from scratch after the ya-hoos at the network pulled the plug on this magnificent show.

Somebody please correct me if I misstated anything above. I'll just pretend I did it on purpose to encourage more discussions on All Sci-Fi!
Cool
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firefly consists of a two-hour pilot and thirteen one-hour episodes (with commercials). The series originally premiered in the United States on Fox in September 2002. The episodes were aired out of the intended order. Although Whedon had designed the show to run for seven years, low ratings resulted in cancellation by Fox in December 2002 after only 11 of the 14 completed episodes had aired in the United States. The three episodes unaired by Fox eventually debuted in 2003 on the Sci Fi Channel in the United Kingdom.

That's Wikipedia on the subject. My old US dvd box set does announce that it "includes 3 never aired episodes," and does have them in the proper running order.

People do seem to like running sf shows out of the proper order — wasn't it Babylon 5: Crusade that had an episode when a new uniform was introduced, so that the earlier-produced episodes, with that different uniform, could then follow...?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha. I shouldn't have said there were no unaired episodes, because I didn't see it when it first aired either, so how would I know one way or the other without looking it up?

And I didn't look it up . . .

Thanks, Custer. Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TREMORS TV series was also aired out of it's intended order. The commercial full set has them in correct order.

The FIREFLY series made a lot more sense when I watched the first episode (entitled the same as the later movie) first. I don't know where I heard that the movie was made from the unaired TV episodes. Thanks for that clarification, Custer.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some of the threads I found for this movie and the series on other boards.

This is a sample of what's included on All Sci-Fi's Multi-Board Alphabetical Index, which is designed to encourage and promote big message boards like CHFB and small boards like Pushing the Envelope.

* Firefly (2002 TV Series)

____ AND

* Serenity (2005)

Firefly (2002 - 2003) @ All Sci-Fi

Firefly/Serenity (2002 / 2005) @ All Sci-Fi

Firefly @ Alien Soup

Firefly 2nd thread @ Alien Soup

Firefly, series vs movie @ Alien Soup

Who's your favorite Firefly character? @ Alien Soup

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice trailer for a very good movie. Very Happy

________________ Serenity (2005) - Trailer HD

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 79 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ According to Nathan Fillion, he personally supplied the blueprints used to build the ship set in the film after being informed at a production meeting that the originals had been lost. He was able to do so because, being so excited about being in the original show, he had taken photos of ALL the preproduction materials he had seen, including the blueprints.

Note from me: Does this not make you want give Nathan a big hugh, or what? Very Happy

~ In his DVD commentary, Joss Whedon said Chiwetel Ejiofor, Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, and Sean Maher performed many of their own stunts. Glau, a trained dancer, used her dancing skills in River's two fights. For the second fight, the cameraman, who was also a dancer, moved through a gap around the combatants to achieve the movie's dynamic camera angles.

Note from me: Watching that scene where Summer does all elegant and beautiful moves (while kicking people's butts) always makes me want to and episode of Solid Gold from the 1980s! Wink

~ The DVDs of Firefly (2002) and Serenity (2005) were flown up to the International Space Station by astronaut Steven Swanson on board the shuttle Atlantis during its June 2007 STS-117 mission.

Note from me: My toes tingle at the thought of watching DVDs of this series and the movie will orbiting the Earth. Watching space movies while floating weightless would be like a honeymoon in the bridal suite of a posh Vegas hotel. Wink

~ The scene where River is revealed holding bloody weapons and surrounded by dead Reavers is imitated in an episode of Castle (S7:15 Reckoning) when the rescuers burst in on Kate Becket holding a blood scalpel and standing over the dead body of the psychopathic doctor holding her hostage

Note from me: I enjoyed Castle (and hated the way it ended so abruptly), so I'd like to compare the two scenes sometime.

~ The scene where River is revealed holding bloody weapons and surrounded by dead Reavers is imitated in an episode of Castle (S7:15 Reckoning) when the rescuers burst in on Kate Becket holding a blood scalpel and standing over the dead body of the psychopathic doctor holding her hostage

Note from me: In the early 1970s I was crazy about Emerson, Lake, and Palmers hit "Lucky Man", especially when they cut loose with the Moog synthsizer at the 3:20 mark. I bought several albums that feature the Moog. I still love it!

________ Lucky Man (2012 Remastered Version)

My obsession started a few years earlier when composer Dick Hyman released The Minotaur and it became a Top 40 hit.

________________ Dick Hyman - The minotaur

Frankly the skilled use of the Moog near the end of Lucky Man now impresses me more than the earlier use of the intrument in Hyman's hit. It blends with the song, rather than trying to be star of show, so to speak.

I own the album shown above, but none of the other tracks on it are very impressive.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Whedon put a pole in the bar for the fight scene after Summer Glau told him that she could kick someone behind her, around a pole. He thought that it was too good a scene not to have.

I believe that the twin criminals Fante's and Mingo's names were taken from "The Big Combo", 1955. A crime movie, where Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman played a pair of homosexual hitmen with those names.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "kicking a guy behind her" moment is at 1:45.

___________Serenity Movie - The Miranda Fight

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remain a huge fan of both the "Firefly''TV show,and "Serenity"the film.

Joss Wheadon is a fantastic creator,writer,producer,director.

However,my one nitpick for the show was the concept for the Reavers. Their origin story as revealed in the movie was well done.
As horrific characters they certainly did the job.

The oversight is that there is a not logical,practical manner in which these insane humans could possibly operate complex space ships.
We see time and again in this series and other shows about space ships and it requires highly intelligent,stable,and well trained folks to run a ship on a daily basis.

Now suddenly,the cast from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"can run a ship just fine.
Star Fleet Academy can shut down now.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up film to the cult sci-fi TV series Firefly, which aired only 11 episodes (14 were made in all) and ended in 2002.

A fan favorite, but only among a select few, it took place 500 years in the future, when mankind has expanded throughout the galaxy, but resembled a western in outer space. There had been a great war that was won by The Alliance, which rules in a despotic fashion.

The title of the film refers to the name of the spaceship commanded by Malcomb Renolds (Nathan Fillion), a former soldier on the losing side. He has a small crew.

As in the series, much of the plot involves the mysterious River (Summer Glau), rescued from the clutches of the Alliance by her brother. The Alliance, represented by a ruthless agent (Chiwetel Ejiofor), is after her because she has been developed as a perfect assassin — and Mal's friends fall by the wayside in this conflict.

_____

This film follow-up obviously had a larger budget ($40 mil) than the TV series, so there are big scenes in outer space, at times involving numerous ships. We also find out the origin of The Reavers, a barbaric band of marauders & cannibals who live to kill.

Apparently, they were an artificial creation — a bad drug — not a bunch of killers who just went crazy for their own strange reasons.

This information turns out to be key in delivering a blow against the Alliance. The story goes against the grain by not having the usual violent death of the main villain, but it's unsatisfying and doesn't ring true. The combo of wry humor and sobering deaths doesn't meld well, and things are wrapped up too neatly while still leaving it open ended — though there were no sequels due to the disappointing box office.

I always found the female characters interesting in this, especially the knockout played by Morena Baccarin, but the males are a bore, though Adam Baldwin is amusing as an extra-tough guy. The film is better paced than the TV series, but not by much.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

________________ Serenity Official Trailer

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my goodness. Andrew Bogdan (Bogmeister) was certainly no fan of this enjoyable movie or the popular series. He has no praise for either one, and plenty of complaints.

I was surprise that he called the colorful male characters "boring", and he was much more impressed by Morena Baccarin than he was by Jewel Staite, who was lovely in her own adorable way. Very Happy

Ah well. Each to his own, I guess. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: