ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: The Incredible Hulk (2008) Reply with quote

Even though I read the comics when I was kid (I even owned issue #1 until 1983), I've never been a big fan of the Hulk. Until "The Avengers" came out a few years go, the Hulk was never presented as a superhero. He was more like the Wolf Man -- a good man with with serious physical ailment that afflicted him periodically.

Bruce Banner's affliction caused severe skin discoloration, serious swelling, drastic mood swings, and throat problems which made speech difficult. He probably experienced one of those things which isn't supposed to last more than four hours, but they never mentioned that in the comics or the movies for obvious reasons. Shocked

This was the second attempt to tell the sad story of Dr. Banner, but it suffered from the same fatal flaw as the first one in 2003 -- it's a one-trick pony.

The plot: Banner gets irradiated, Banner gets mad, Banner gets large, everything gets broken.

There just isn't a whole lot you can do with that.

Even in "The Avengers" he mostly just makes everybody nervous until he finally cuts loose and nearly destroys the flying aircraft carrier. Admittedly he comes in real handy in the climax when he kicks some serious Chitauri ass and does that fabulous full-body "bitch slap" on Loki (one of the best moments in the movie), but otherwise he's really more trouble than he's worth in terms of his value as a team member.

The climax of this 2008 film is a bit too much like a WWF Smackdown, and it just doesn't have the kind of drama that -- for example -- the Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin battle did.

If there are worthy elements to this movie I'm missing, somebody please set me straight. NOT liking a movie isn't much fun, and I'd actually rather be wrong about it.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can well understand your critiques regarding the Hulk character, Bud.

I always enjoyed him since his debut in Marvel Comics in the 60s.

He was a tragic character who generated sympathy. Dr. Banner in the comic book origin story was irradiated by gamma rays from a bomb that exploded.

He was safe at the time in an observation bunker prior to the detonation. However, he ran out to save the life of a teenager who had driven his hot rod out onto the bomb area on a dare from his buddies.

Banner struggles with this Hulk inside him. He never wanted it or deserved it & he loathes the creature.

He feels guilt at the destruction the Hulk causes, but he has no control over him. Some say its a metaphor for the Hulk in all of us that we must control in a civilized society. Whether its a nasty boss, difficult co-workers, prickly family members, annoying neighbors, or just traffic jams. We can all relate when we have had to hold our tongues, our anger.

The Hulk is also an interesting superhero as he does not conform to the usual hero conceits. He has no particular mission statement to save humanity but he always ends up doing just that. Even as they fear & mistreat him.

No superhero uniform, headquarters, or vehicles.

He generally wants to simply be left alone, but is constantly drawn into events by others.

As Banner he tells others he's dangerous & to be wary around him. They often ignore this advice.

The most recent Avengers film brought out the sadness of Bruce as he informs Natasha that he can never have a wife or family because of the curse of the Hulk.

I find him to be a fascinating character & a refreshing change of pace from the usual heroes we see in comics, film, television.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an excellent analysis of what makes the Hulk tick, Professor Pow. Great job. Very Happy

I haven't seen the 2nd Avengers movie yet, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the part of the story that includes Bruce Banner. The actor who plays him impresses me far more than the two previous ones.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the mindless savage Hulk is a great character and always has been! I remember reading that first issue right off the stands and at the time he was such a different character and a breath of fresh air!

The movie versions haven't reached that potential until the AVENGERS movies. Both films really highlighted the Jeckle / Hyde character and really made the movies for me.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer is certainly packed with great scenes.

______ The Incredible Hulk (2008) Official Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: