ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Reply with quote

A movie so well done they made it look easy. It proudly mixes humor, action, great FX, and wacka-doodle characters to make a downright lovable movie.

The plot is deliberately light weight, and therefore easy to follow. There's not a subplot in sight — just your standard Evil Galactic Warlord who wants to destroy planets because . . . well, I wasn't entirely clear on that point, but he seemed determined, so I'm sure he had a good reason.

The big battle at the end has a couple of dull moments. One was about 0.6 seconds long and the other about 0.9 seconds — but otherwise it was nonstop thrills and chills. Very Happy

Some people don't care for the classic rock songs that pepper the sound track (mostly young folks who didn't grow up listening to it), but other people felt it fit the movie really well (mostly old folks like me who never grew up at all. Wink )

I wonder if the sequel will take a darker turn — you know, just to keep things fresh and new.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy as much fun as the movie?

Hey, does Stan Lee do cameos? Hell, yeah! Very Happy

If you don't like this movie, these characters, and those Golden Oldies they rock to all through the movie — then I hope the Spirit in the Sky sends you to that hot place where mean old party poopers spend forever!

So there! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Some people don't care for the classic rock songs that pepper the sound track (mostly young folks who didn't grow up listening to it), but other people felt it fit the movie really well (mostly old folks like me who never grew up at all. Wink )

The rationale behind using classic rock (and cassette player) rather than something modern is the same as those movies showing the protagonist using a turntable and vinyl LP records rather than the latest iPlayer on the market: It's already antiquated, so it won't age the movie any more than it is at the time of the movie's release. Sci-fi depicting futuristic technology and culture is perpetually at risk of becoming outdated as technology catches up and passes that used in the movie. Remember all the TV series produced back in the '70s where the "cool" hero pulls out the mobile phone mounted in his car... the phone that's as big as a WWII walkie-talkie?

I sometimes wonder how many kids today "get" the humor behind Maxwell Smart's shoe-phone. It's another reason a period piece like Disney's 1954 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea will never be obsoleted on the basis of the Nemo's technology.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
The rationale behind using classic rock (and cassette player) rather than something modern is the same as those movies showing the protagonist using a turntable and vinyl LP records rather than the latest iPlayer on the market: It's already antiquated, so it won't age the movie any more than it is at the time of the movie's release.

That's undeniably a benefit, and it also served as a constant reminder that the hero had a strong connection with his personal history. He was keeping traditions and memories alive.

I'm big on that myself (you've seen pictures of my living room), so I really liked that aspect of his character.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_ How Guardians of the Galaxy Should Have Ended

Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, the Dark Aster is from IKEA, it's all flat packs.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ready for... Vol. 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhQcK-Zaok

(The teaser is 1 minute 26 seconds, half of which is blackout.)

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see them still using that very catchy "Hooked on a Feeling" song there... Very Happy

Checking YouTube, I see there's a David Hasselhoff version of the song available!
Surprised
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rockin' good trailer for a rock star of a movie! Very Happy

______ Guardians of the Galaxy Official Trailer #1

And I must admit, David Hasselfhoff's version of Hooked on a Feeling is not bad at all. He pretty much just "karaoked" the song's original backup and sang it without adding anything new.

The accompanying video, however, is not very good. Kind of a throwback to the early days of those things. Rolling Eyes

________ David Hasselhoff - Hooked on a Feeling

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The accompanying video, however, is not very good. Kind of a throwback to the early days of those things.

That's the whole point Bud. It's suppose to be like a video from Quill's childhood.

There is a scene that was cut from the end of the movie. It is during the big celebration sequence. You see all these happy people, then you see Quill's Grandfather looking at a photo of Quill as a child, and looking up at the sky, showing that he saw Quill's abduction. James Gunn said that he hated cutting the scene, but it brought the movie to a screeching halt. You go from celebrating people to a grieving Grandfather. A real mood killer.

Quill's Grandfather (Gregg Henery) appears in GOTG II. He is the driver of the mini-van that just escapes destruction by Ego's plants.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
That's the whole point, Bud. It's suppose to be like a video from Quill's childhood.

Ah-ha. I get it now. Thanks. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Vin Diesel recorded all his lines in several different languages, including Russian, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and French, so that they could use his real voice in the film around the world.

Note from me: This makes Vin sound like a brilliant linguists . . . until you realize that he only had to say, "I am Groot" in all those languages. And since "Groot" would be the same word every time, he just needed to say "I am" in each language.

Wow. Big deal . . . Rolling Eyes

~ The scene where Peter drops the orb during the Collector scene was not scripted. According to the commentary, Chris Pratt accidentally dropped it during filming, but remained in character through the whole thing, so it stayed in the final film.

Chris Pratt later revealed to James Gunn that he intentionally dropped the orb, figuring it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Note from me: Clever boy. He showed some initiative by doing something that might have spoiled the shot . . . but he enhanced it instead. Cool

~ Chris Pratt apparently stole his Star-Lord costume from the set, for the sole purpose of having it available so he could show up in costume to visit sick children in the hospital, who might want to meet Star-Lord.

Note from me: Behold the delicious irony! Star-Lord was a Robin-Hood-like thief who stole things and then did good deeds. Chris Pratt did . . . well the same thing!

~ According to Vin Diesel, his performance as Groot helped him through a dark time in his life. He was dealing with the loss of his best friend and "Fast and Furious" co-star Paul Walker: "It was the first time I came back to dealing with human beings after dealing with death, so playing a character who celebrates life in the way Groot does, was very nice."

Note from me: I hate to be a party pooper, but does saying, "I am Goot" really qualify as playing a character?

~ James Gunn stated that Chris Pratt's audition was so good, he was prepared to offer him the role, even if Pratt did not lose weight, or get in shape in time. Gunn joked that he was willing to CGI a six-pack on Pratt's body. However, Pratt asked Gunn to give him six months to lose fifty pounds, and he ended up losing sixty.

Note from me: My congratulations to Chris . . . but I'd have gone for the CGI six-pack! Confused

~ The soundtrack album "Awesome Mix, Vol. 1" reached number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, the first film soundtrack ever to do so without any original music. It was also nominated for the 2015 Grammy Award for Best Soundtrack.

Note from me: This surprises me not at all! The movie did a great job of selecting classic songs that seem absolute perfect for the scenes in this movie.

Click on the link below and let your laptop serenade you while you continue to enjoy the magic of All Sci-Fi!
Cool

_____ Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1

~ Bradley Cooper told Howard Stern that he was paid more for voicing Rocket in this movie than for starring in Silver Linings Playbook (2012) and The Hangover (2009) combined.

Note from me: Every time I read that Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket I'm surprised all over again, because Mr. Cooper's distinctive and well-modulated voice sounds NOTHING like Rocket. What an amazing voice talent Bradley is! Shocked

~ According to Vin Diesel, the voice of Groot, he recorded Groot's iconic line, "I am Groot", over one thousand times.

Note from me: Is this true? Hell, I can't tell one delivery of the line from another! Rolling Eyes

~ Prior to release, Bill Mantlo, the comic book writer who created Rocket Raccoon, and has been permanently hospitalized due to the severity of a crippling traffic accident in 1992, was granted a private screening by Marvel Entertainment and Walt Disney Pictures.

According to his brother, Michael Mantlo, Bill was pleased with the adaptation (which credits him by name as the character's creator) and considered the occasion a happy day for him and his family.

Note from me: An artist who has been "permanently hospitalized". That's too cruel for words. Sad

~ Chris Pratt cites heroes Han Solo and Marty McFly as influences on his performance as Star-Lord.

Note from me: If somebody had asked me to predict who Pratt had in mind when he portrayed Star-Lord, I probably would have named those two. Very Happy

~ Zoe Saldana nearly broke Chris Pratt's ribs while filming a fight sequence. During training, Pratt and Saldana would wear protective gear so they could actually hit each other.

However, when the day came to film the scene, Pratt forgot to wear his protective gear and did not tell Saldana, because he thought she would hold back if she knew.

Saldana (under the impression he was wearing the gear like he usually did) kicked him square in the ribs, which made Pratt fall to the ground. According to Pratt, he had a bruise for the remainder of filming.

Note from me: I'm sure Mr. Pratt learned a valuable lesson from this. Something like, "Never trust a hot chick who can kick the shit out of you to NOT kick the shit out of you if you're filming a scene in a multi-million dollar movie."

~ Star-Lord's line "If I had a blacklight, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting" was ad-libbed by Chris Pratt.

Note from me: I suspected that Christ Platt doesn't know Jackson Pollock's artwork from Normal Rockwell's, because Poillock's ridiculous excuse for art makes no use of light whatsoever. It's just composed of paint thrown at a perfectly good canvas which I could have done something good with! Wink

And Normal Rockwell agreed with me, because one of his paintings delivered this scathing criticism, a painting entitled Art Connoisseurr.

Brother, this says it all!
Rolling Eyes

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri May 20, 2022 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told GUARDIANS was more STAR WARS than any of the J.J.ABRAMS travesties!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, sir! I think we should start calling you Star-Gord. After all, Steve already calls you Lord Gord. Laughing

By the way, I fixed 155 of the typos in my above post. After the cramps in my hand relax, I'll fix the remaining 75 . . . Rolling Eyes

The Typo King of All Sci-Fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: