ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Thor: Ragnarok (2017) Reply with quote

]MDB has this for the plot line —

"Thor must face the Hulk in a gladiator match and save his people from the ruthless Hela."

My response to that is —

"Oh . . . my . . . Norse God!" Shocked

_____ Marvel's Thor 3: Ragnarok - Teaser Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All interesting stuff.

Quote:
In Marvel Studios, "Thor: Ragnarok" Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok, the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization, at the hands of an all-powerful threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and friend from work, the Incredible Hulk.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cate Blanchett

Lovely actress Cate Blachett is appearing as Hela in the "Thor: Ragnarok" film.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 180 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

Thor's "friend from work" line about the Hulk was suggested to Chris Hemsworth by a Make-A-Wish child who paid a visit to the set on the day the scene was filmed.

Note from me: Ah-ha. So, from that day on, whenever the youngster watches this movie, he tells everyone around him, "That's my line! I thought that up and told my friend, Thor the God of Thunder, to say it!" Cool

Taika Waititi said in an interview with MTV News: "I would say we improvised probably eighty percent of the film, or ad-libbed and threw in stuff."

Note from me: Maybe this is why I felt like the movie had a much "jokier" tone than previous Thor movies.

Director Taika Waititi said that he wanted to showcase Chris Hemsworth's comedic talent in this film: "He's so good and underutilized in that department. He's legitimately one of the funniest things in this film."

Note from me: Ah-ha. I thought so.

Cate Blanchett accepted a role in this movie to please her children, who are Marvel comics fans. Blanchett's eldest son Dashiell John Upton suggested she take the role of Hela, saying it'd be a career boost.

Note from me: Although Ms Blanchett's kids are 16, 14, and 10, I can't help getting a funny mental image of cute toddlers at bedtime saying, "Read us a story, Mommy!"

"Which one would you like to hear?" says Cate.

And they hold up this. Wink

________

On Earth, Thor disguises his hammer Mjölnir as an umbrella. In the comics, whenever Thor took on the mortal form of Dr. Donald Blake, he disguised Mjölnir as a walking stick.

Note from me: I don't remember much of the Thor comics, even though I did own issue #1 years ago (and sold it far too cheaply Smile), but this item about disguises reminded me of a joke I once heard.

Thor comes to Earth in disguise to take a human woman to bed. He meets one in a bar, goes back to her apartment, and seduces her. The next morning before leaving, he tells her his true identify.

"I . . . am Thor!"

"You think YOU'RE thor?" the young lady whines pitifully. "I'm so thor and can hardly pith!"

Loki's play mentions a time when he turned Thor into a frog. This is a reference to a Walter Simonson story where Loki briefly turned Thor into a frog (but he was able to meet a frog named Puddlegulp and share his power with him, turning him into Throg the Frog of Thunder).

Note from me: I don't have anything to add to this except to say it's funny as hell. Laughing

Thor disguises Mjölnir as an umbrella and taps it on the ground to change it back into his hammer. This is an homage to the early "Thor" comics when Thor took the mortal form of Dr. Donald Blake and he disguised Mjölnir as a walking stick. However, an umbrella is a more suitable disguise for a god of thunder.

Note from me: A subtle joke on the part of the author. However, I got the mental image of a disguised Thor holding up his umbrella during a thunderstorm . . . getting zapped by lightning. Laughing

The next item is related to that idea, sort of.

This film has irony affecting Thor and his siblings. Thor is The God Of Thunder, yet he gets electrocuted, Loki is The God Of Mischief, yet gets tricked by Thor, and Hela being The Goddess Of Death, dies.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Odin...The All Father....Gets screwed around by his sons! Both natural and adopted!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I'm thertainly sure thith made Oden, thore — which is very confuthing! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: