ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) Reply with quote

Not science fiction, you say?

Well, I'll admit it's debatable, but any movie that gets this much science right and makes it an integral part of the plot deserves a nod.

Add to that the fact that this movie got such a bum rap from the critics and the movie goers that I feel the need to defend it. Just called me the John McClane of cyberspace . . . Cool

I'll let you folks read the negative reviews for yourself, but I'm going on record as saying they're all wrong. This a worthy addition to the Die Hard series, with jaw-dropping action, an intelligent story, skillful pacing and — the trademark of the series — a new and interesting partner for John McClane to team up with.

That aspect of the Die Hard movies wasn't a big part of the 1st and 2nd ones, but the producers were smart enough to realize that the Lone Wolf aspect of McClane's chacter had been fully utilized in the first two movies, so they made him share the good times with Samuel L. Jackson in the 3rd film and Justin Long in the 4th one.

This time McClane discovers that his son has inherited all his daddy's badass genes, and junior has become a CIA operative who's determined to fix Russia.

That kind of ambition just makes a papa's heart swell with pride. Smile

So, it's the team of McClane and McClane who turn Russia very very Red as they slam around the countryside, from Moscow to Chernobyl — yes, that radioactive place that would be turning out mutants quicker than grandma can bake biscuits if this happened to be an X-Men movie.

The plot has more twists than a sock hop with Chubby Checker, and I really admired the way enriched uranium is treated like gold bullion — a valuable element that bad guys are scheming to steal and sell to get filthy stinking rich.

If you happen to be (a) a Die Hard fan, (b) someone who hasn't seen this one yet, and (c) willing to accept the possibility that lots of people might be dead wrong about this movie, then I suggest you watch it and have yourself a ball.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Not science fiction, you say? Well, I'll admit it's debatable, but any movie that gets this much science right and makes it an integral part of the plot deserves a nod.

I recall having this debate previously over another movie.

Merely including "science" in a fiction movie don't make it sci-fi. Sci-fi comes from extrapolating science of the day into a future (or alternate present day) development. (In the case of a genre like Steampunk, science of the period in question is extrapolated to an alternate past.)
Wink

WayneO
-----------
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
cyberspace . . . Cool
so they made him share the good times with Samuel L. Jackson in the 3rd film and Justin Long in the 4th one.

Number three was originally written as a Lethal Weapon movie, but it didn't happen.

Much as I like Samuel L. Jackson, I always thought DH3 would have been better if they would have paired McClane with Richard Thornburg (William Atherton), the reporter from the first two movies. There could have been some good hashing out scenes, as they both have issues with each other. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a VERY interesting idea. It would be great to put Thornburg in a situation where (a) he needed John's help to stay alive, (b) he had to "man up" and help John, and (c) he eventually saved John's life in a crucial scene.

One thing about the Die Hard series that has always bothered me. After John professes his deep love for Holly in two films and goes through hell to save her — twice — she eventually leaves him, even after he moves to LA to be with her (as stated in the opening scene of Die Hard 2).

Jeez, what a ungrateful bitch . . . Sad

UPDATE - Wayne was right, this isn't science fiction. Fortunately we now have a Movies in Other Genres forum. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: