ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soldier (1998)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Soldier (1998) Reply with quote

Kurt Russell gave the best performance of his career in this very unappreciated film. It never fails to impress me, no matter how often I see it.

The movie didn't do well at the box office — just another example of a great movie being ignored by movie audiences. The cast is magnificent, and the plot doesn't have a dull moment from start to finish.

Jason Scott Lee does just fine as the latest model in a group of genetically engineered super-soldiers, and Kurt is the obsolete version that gets dumped with the garbage on an alien planet where a ragged little colony of peaceful folks are trying to eek out a living.

When the colonists are chosen to be used for target practice by the ruthless handlers of the singled-minded super-soldiers, it's Kurt to the rescue, and things don't slow down until the closing credits start rolling.

If you haven't seen this, you're in for a treat.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still haven't seen this movie, you're guilty of dereliction of duty, private, and subject to court martial by your superiors!

The training film at the link below is designed to resemble a fan-made trailer to fool the enemy if it ever falls into the wrong hands. It's required viewing. And yes, there will be a quiz.

Now, begin your indoctrination, soldier. Eyes front . . . and look sharp!

Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure this movie is all that good. Frankly, I remember some of it as being pretty darn dumb.

But...I absolutely agree with you about Kurt Russell. He's absolutely tremendous in a role which wouldn't seem to offer that much opportunity for thespic greatness. I can still hear him in my head saying, "I'm going to kill them all." Brrrrr. Great.

Is it the greatest performance of his career? Mmmm, that I'm not so sure about. He's a terrific actor and has served up lotsa good stuff. It might be his best....it might not. Doesn't matter much, though, 'cause it's still Great.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet Kurt accidentally at the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair — Century 21 Exposition and we have communicated ever since. At the time when they were making Soldier he said it was his take on an old soldier from the Starship Troopers (1959) novel. "You spend a life-time as a soldier 'killing the enemy' it's hard to break that habit, ya know?"
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED this movie! I was highly impressed by Kurt's character as well as Sean Pertwee's performance!

Very highly recommended for the military Sci-Fi fan!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to watch it with you sometime in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room. Just pick a day! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: