ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Cowboys & Aliens (2011) Reply with quote

With a budget of $163 million and a box office take of $174 million, this one barely broke even. It was lucky to make that much.

A movie with a whimsical premise like this needs to be either real funny or real exciting. This one is neither. Harrison Ford strolls through the movie like he thought it was a dress rehearsal, and Daniel Craig acts the same in every role (grumpy), so I'm not sure these guys were real happy to be there.

If you've seen it (or if you've waded through the long plot synopsis on Wikipedia) you'll know that the story is mostly just a cliched Western with aliens that occasionally abduct people -- or maybe it's a cliched sci-fi movie with cowboys that occasionally shoot people. Damned if I know which.

The point, of course, is that if you want alien abduction, watch "Close Encounters", and if you want Western shoot outs, watch "Silverado". Watch this one only if you want to see Ford and Craig kill time between better movies than this.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this movie (and didn't care much for it) before I saw this trailer, so I can't decide if it would have made me want to see it or not. I'm not sure there's any good way to sell this film without making it look better than it is.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit so-so as movies go, western or sci-fi, yes. I do love the way that, according to Wikipedia, Platinum Studios managed to get the movie made:

Quote:
By the mid-2000s, with the project in turnaround, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg commissioned writers Fred Van Lente & Andrew Foley and artists Dennis Calero & Luciano Lima to create a Cowboys & Aliens original graphic novel, which was published in December 2006 by Platinum Studios Comics. In order to make the Cowboys & Aliens comic appear to be a big seller, Platinum Studios priced the 105-page book at the low cost of $4.99 (when most graphic novels were $10 and up). Platinum attempted to game the system in various other ways, including using a business arrangement with the popular publisher Top Cow Productions to list Cowboys & Aliens in Top Cow's section of the Diamond Comic Distributors catalogue. They also gave certain retailers huge bulk discounts on the book, all of which counted toward sales numbers. Based on these inflated numbers, Entertainment Weekly listed Cowboys & Aliens as a top seller for the month, which prompted Universal/DreamWorks to move the film project forward again.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has an interesting trivia item about the famous stars of this movie. Very Happy

With this film Harrison Ford has shared the screen with the first and latest actors who have played the James Bond role: Daniel Craig in this film and Sean Connery in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: